Author Topic: Charles Daly 1911's  (Read 2044 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Charles Daly 1911's
« on: March 15, 2011, 10:55:45 AM »
Thinking of trading my XD .45 for one, anyone know anything about them? Solid and reliable product, or cheap junk? Not looking for super accuracy, both because I'm not that great a shot and because it's a defensive pistol. I'm not Jack Bauer so I don't anticipate trying headshots at 25 yards. :)
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Charles Daly 1911's
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 11:31:56 AM »
I used to have one.

I bought it used.

Frame is cast, not forged.  I shot some near-max pressure stuff out of it (not +p, but top-end .45acp loads) and even with a new Wolff recoil spring in it, I think I battered the frame a little bit.  The slide rails always seemed a bit "off" to reassemble after cleaning, like there were burrs or peening on the leading edge of the frame slide rails.

I ended up carrying that thing for several summers out in the desert.  I carried it so much and shot it so much that I wore all the bluing off the grip in the pattern of my hand.  You could see finger-stripes on the front strap.

I eventually sold it to fund the purchase of a (lemon) Sig GSR 1911, which was warrantied 3 times until I finally told Sig to send me a new gun which I traded for a Colt 1991 Government, which has been awesome.

Do you know "Captain Charlie" over at TFL?  He used to carry a Charles Daly as a police officer.  He's got an interesting door-kicking story he could tell you about his Daly.  If I remember it correctly, he had the safety on and he's standing just outside the door waiting to enter with his partner, and he does a function check on the safety... and it won't click off.  The safety broke. 

I'd say to save your pennies for a Colt, STI Spartan or a Springer GI/MilSpec/RO/Loaded.  Keep the XD .45 until you can afford the higher quality production 1911's around the $600-$800 mark.  The XD .45 is a reliable and formidable defensive weapon.  The Daly... not so much.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 11:57:50 AM »
The first pistol I bought myself was commander size Chuck. I thrashed that pistol, 5,000 rounds in 6 months. Broke the ambi safety, cracked the barrel bushing, Was never 100% as it had an annoying malf where it would stop about 1/8" shy of returning to battery.  The company itself is pretty stand-up and many people love their guns, same with RIA. If I hear defensive pistol I think 100% reliable or as close as we can get. To me that means no RIA or Charles Daly.

Second pistol I bought myself was a SR70 Colt. Still have it, carried it last week. Deals are out there.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
Thinking of trading my XD .45 for one, anyone know anything about them? Solid and reliable product, or cheap junk? Not looking for super accuracy, both because I'm not that great a shot and because it's a defensive pistol. I'm not Jack Bauer so I don't anticipate trying headshots at 25 yards. :)
Why do you want to trade the XD?  I'd rather have the XD than the Daly, and I'm a 1911 fan.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 12:58:15 PM »
From what I remember seeing on various gun boards, Chas. Daly pistols seem to have a reputation for breaking a lot of the small parts - safety, ejector, extractor, slide stop.

Are they still imported by KBI? I ask because KBI seems to have a bad rep for customer service & warranty repairs.

There are a LOT of other 1911s I'd consider before getting a Charles Daly . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 01:13:33 PM »
Frames and slides are supposed to be sound.  Small parts are cheap.  There are stories about frame holes and stuff being misaligned, which can make it difficult to fit new small parts if the originals fail.

I would suggest an entry level Springfield over a Charles Daly, if budget allows.  If you just want to try out a 1911, the Daly will probably do fine.  Just keep in mind that the Daly is not an example of the high 1911 art.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 01:19:05 PM »
I have a Daly and a couple of RIAs. The Daly had many parts replaced and looks to me like it was machined with less care than the RIA. I don't have a particular problem with it now, but I'd go for another RIA before I bought a Daly. Although, I hear they changed and got better lately.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 02:45:34 PM »
Why do you want to trade the XD?  I'd rather have the XD than the Daly, and I'm a 1911 fan.

It's too big for my wife's hands. She wants a 1911 for herself, and I want to have standard manual of arms/magazines/spare parts etc.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 02:52:41 PM »
Also, a guy on www.seattleguns.net has a Springfield Mil-Spec with 3 mags for $600. Fair price? http://www.seattleguns.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37785

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 03:13:17 PM »
I'd say high, but who knows what the market will bear. Never thought I'd say this but the Ruger P345 fits small hands well. SIG 220 not terrible either.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 03:17:11 PM »
I'd say high, but who knows what the market will bear. Never thought I'd say this but the Ruger P345 fits small hands well. SIG 220 not terrible either.

Yeah, she just really enjoys 1911's. Guess I picked a good one.  =)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 03:26:30 PM »

Armscor, before Rock Island Armory, weren't they?

Me, I think I'd be holding on to the XD.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 03:28:02 PM »
From what I remember seeing on various gun boards, Chas. Daly pistols seem to have a reputation for breaking a lot of the small parts - safety, ejector, extractor, slide stop.

Are they still imported by KBI? I ask because KBI seems to have a bad rep for customer service & warranty repairs.

There are a LOT of other 1911s I'd consider before getting a Charles Daly . . .

KBI is defunct.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 07:24:51 PM »
Yeah, she just really enjoys 1911's. Guess I picked a good one.  =)
Mine, too. She now owns a Kimber Pro Carry .40, which was once mine.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 08:25:56 PM »
Charles Daly 1911s were made by Armscor in the Philippines. The Daly models were somewhat nicer in finish than the plain-Jane Rock Islands but, under the hood, they were the same. For reasons known only to Charles Daly (KBI), they severed their relationship with Armscor about two years ago (or a bit more) and began negotiations with Bul Transmark in Israel to build their 1911s. Bul then took Daly's market research results and used it to design a 1911 they then struck a deal to manufacture for Magnum Research (Desert Eagle). Between the expense of running with no product for over a year and then having their hoped for new supplier stab them in the back, KBI folded. KBI and Charles Daly do not exist today.

The guns were decent but not great. If you can get one cheap, go for it ... but in this case (IMHO) "cheap" means "cheap" -- I wouldn't pay more than $300 or maybe $350 for one, because beyond $350 you can spend just a few bucks more and get a new gun.

Not sure, but I think the Daly pistols are being serviced by the Armscor/Rock Island importer, Advanced tactical in Nevada.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sanglant

• friend
just a thought.
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 08:41:30 PM »

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 08:51:19 PM »
Don't do it. You'd be an idiot to trust one for a defensive firearm.

For a defensive 1911, Colt, Springfield, Kimber Series I, or STI Trojan and only go up from there.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 11:27:18 PM »
A used 1911 from one of the established makers listed before, but I'd also include Smith & Wesson 1911s, which I rate a couple steps above Kimber & Springfield Armory in quality.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton