Main Forums > The Roundtable

Trying to set up a solar charged, battery operated pump

<< < (2/6) > >>

cordex:
I’ve been thinking about the same thing. What I would love is a big floating solar panel that powers an air pump and pipes it through bubbler stones.

I might just have to run 120v like you are planning.

Cliffh:
I'd like to hear about it if you come up with a workable solution.

230RN:
How long is the extension cord at present?

JTHunter:
Cliffh - here's an idea for you.
I bought this house almost 20 years ago.  On the back half was a 30' x 50' pole barn that had no power and it is about 100' behind the house.  We arranged for a friend who was an electrical contractor to help me out and we started by upgrading the house from 100A service to 200A and diverting 60A to the barn and re-routing the feed to the breakers which had (incorrectly) gone through the attic.  He brought the feed through the crawl space to keep the line cooler.
In going to the barn, he used his Vermeer to dig a 3-5' trench that we put a layer of sand on the bottom to create some cushioning for the 2 PVC pipes.  One was for the two 4 gauge power cables and a second thinner pipe for the phone line.  This was dug from the back of the house, diagonally under the gravel driveway, then alongside it to the side of the barn.  After he set up the 100A junction box in the barn, I wired the rest of the barn myself, putting in a small electric furnace, multiple lines for lights, outlets, and assorted power tools.  There is one dedicated line for the large freezer out in that barn as well.

You won't need as "extensive" a project but I still suggest going down at least 2' or more, partly depending on how deep your "frost line" is located.  Deeper is also safer if somebody starts digging or driving over the line.  Run at least a 10 gauge line out there and put a "weatherproof" outlet box on the PVC where it comes up out of the ground.  This way, you just plug your pump into the outlet.  Should the pump ever fail, unplug and replace it.
Good luck!

Cliffh:
I've been using a 75' extension cord, but there are a few coils laying on the ground by the time it gets to the pump.  Haven't measured the distance but I'm guesstimating 60' would be about right.

JTHunter:
The shed/workshop (a cramped 20' x 20') has a power supply/meter separate from the house.   My plan was pretty much what you described with the exception of putting sand in the bottom of the ditch, hadn't thought of that, makes sense though.  Digging the ditch deep enough was the reason I mentioned the ditch witch - this boy's dug enough deep holes by hand and don't want to do any more.  Let the machines do the work.

IIRC, the frost line's 18" around here.  Figured to put it deeper 'cause it'll cross the power co. easement, and they've recently been driving some larger trucks across that area - running fiber optic cable.  YEAH!  Fiber optic internet is in my near future!

I've got more wiring to do in the shop, more lighting & 120v outlets.  It'll come, all in good time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version