Author Topic: USCCA sells it's members email addresses!  (Read 1352 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
USCCA sells it's members email addresses!
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:06:25 AM »
US Concealed Carry Association (USCCA) sells it's members email addresses!
I got hit with 3 spams using an email address I used ONLY with them!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: USCCA sells it's members email addresses!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 10:08:38 AM »
Is the account on a common provider such as gmail, hotmail, and etc?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 03:30:55 PM »
was it gun related or conservative related spam?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 04:01:35 PM »
US Concealed Carry Association (USCCA) sells it's members email addresses!
I got hit with 3 spams using an email address I used ONLY with them!

You've never emailed anyone with that account?  Never received emails from someone you know on that account?

You mean to say that you registered that account solely to use with uscca, and never used it for anything else?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 04:31:18 PM »
It wasn't the USCCA.  More likely it was the email provider.  The likelyhood goes up exponentially if the account was created on one of the "free" email provider sites.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 06:48:50 PM »
Ever receive (not forward, RECEIVE) a chain letter of any kind?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 06:56:42 PM »
You've never emailed anyone with that account?  Never received emails from someone you know on that account?

You mean to say that you registered that account solely to use with uscca, and never used it for anything else?

Could be a disposable.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 08:19:09 PM »
I've had this happen before. Even email addresses that I've kept private got spam. The problem is where the blame lies. Everybody denies that they are the problem.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 11:44:27 PM »
I have my own domain (herohog.com) and unlimited email addresses under my domain which allows me to use a unique email for every site that requires an email address. This way I know exactly where someone got my email address from. The other day I get 3 messages in a row, all different, none gun related, yet all sent to the account that is ONLY associated with USCCA so there is only one assumption I can make.

I have since set up a block on all incoming email using that email address to handle the spam.

I guess it IS possible that it was random... That it all hit in a batch from multiple sources made me think otherwise. I am all for finding out for sure if the list was sold and will contact them to follow this up.

I just sent the following to: 'support@usconcealedcarry.com'

I am receiving SPAM from an email address that I have ONLY used with your organization: USCCA@<mydomain>.com and am wondering if you sell or otherwise give away emails used with your organization as this is the only way I can think of for spammers to get this address.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 12:18:45 AM »
keep us informed please, I hadn't joined because
A: broke
B: everything I need to know I can find here or GRM
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 01:08:35 AM »
Nothing constructive to add, just tagging this thread so I can see if it's updated later.  [popcorn]

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 09:26:54 AM »
The other day I get 3 messages in a row, all different, none gun related, yet all sent to the account that is ONLY associated with USCCA so there is only one assumption I can make.

I know you're all hot and bothered to pin the blame on them, but you need to brush up on just how resourceful spammers can be.  If you ever mentioned your email address, even in passing, as a tagline, or as a link in your USCCA identity, there are spambots that can grab it.

Sure, they may have sold it.  But there are several other just-as-likely reasons you began receiving the messages.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:53:11 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB