Author Topic: USCG CMH awardee Douglas Munro was a clue on Millionaire  (Read 822 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
USCG CMH awardee Douglas Munro was a clue on Millionaire
« on: December 19, 2012, 09:46:37 PM »
http://www.uscg.mil/history/people/munrodouglasindex.asp

He earned the only CMH in the history of the Coast Guard, and this is why:

In the battle [where he was killed in action], Munro had already played an important part, since he was in charge of the original detachment of ten boats that had landed the Marines at the scene.  He had successfully got them ashore and then had headed his boats back to a previously assigned position.  Almost immediately upon his return, he was advised by the officer in charge that conditions had been different than had been anticipated and that it was necessary to evacuate the men immediately.  Munro volunteered for the job of heading the boats for the evacuation.  In charge of the rescue expedition, he brought the boats in-shore under heavy enemy fire and proceeded to evacuate the men on the beach.  When most of them were in the boats, complications arose in evacuating the last men, whom Munro realized would be in the greatest danger.  He accordingly so placed himself and his boats that they would serve as cover for the last men to leave.  It was thus that he was fatally wounded -- protecting the men after he had evacuated them.  He remained conscious sufficiently long only to say four words: "Did they get off?"  He died, therefore, with the realization that his mission had succeeded and his final assignment had been carried out.

I had never heard of him before and he deserves better than just being a clue on a game show. The 70th anniversary of his death in action just passed in September and so maybe just think of him a bit and realize that without men like him wars just ain't won.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: USCG CMH awardee Douglas Munro was a clue on Millionaire
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 10:48:27 PM »
Here's to you Petty Office Munro, and all the other great men like you that gave us a future worth keeping.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 10:54:13 PM »
Believe me, in the Coast Guard he is way more than a clue on a game show.  Along with CDR Ray Evans, Joshua James, Bernie Webber and a whole bunch of others.

Here's an interesting interview with Ray Evans, who was on the same landing craft as Douglas Munro.

http://www.uscg.mil/history/WEBORALHISTORY/Ray_Evans_Video_Interview.asp

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:00:43 PM by dm1333 »

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 10:59:43 PM »
Petty Officer Williams is in my Bluejacket's Manual. Probably a few others, but he's the one who really stood out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_E._Williams

Medal of Honor
Navy Cross
Silver Star (x2)
Legion of Merit with Valor device
Navy and Marine Corps Medal (x2)
Bronze Star with Valor Device (x3)
Purple Heart (x3)

I also met Jack Lucas a couple times on the Iwo Jima. I really wish we did more to make people like these the role models for our children instead of someone who runs back and forth across a wood court with a ball for an hour.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
Word.  Citations for people that got the Medal of Honor are almost always worth reading.  CPT Benjamin L. Salomon is a perfect example.