Author Topic: USAF looking into beater jets  (Read 6731 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
USAF looking into beater jets
« on: July 23, 2016, 09:43:31 AM »
 :lol:

So... either the F35 do-all, be-all is so convoluted it has been deemed impractical and urgently needs to be supplemented with cheaper aircraft (or entirely replaced if the entire USAF budget hadn't been hogged up by the F35 project to begin with)

Or... they are planning on equipping ISIS moderate rebels with a low key air force.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/air-force-may-buy-this-cheap-jet-2016-7?yptr=yahoo
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: USAF looking into beater jets
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 09:51:54 AM »
That Scorpion looks like the Javelin personal jet that never really got off the ground.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 10:28:16 AM »
I have always wondered why the high performance "personal jet" concept isn't more popular. I mean you can only get so much out of sports cars...

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 11:29:21 AM »
I have always wondered why the high performance "personal jet" concept isn't more popular. I mean you can only get so much out of sports cars...

The number of people who have the financial means to purchase, say, a $200,000 Lamborghini, a $400,000+ Ford GT, or even a $1,500,000 Bugatti is much larger than the number who can purchase, maintain, insure, and operate a $65,000,000 Gulfstream G650.

And it's easier to get a driver's license than a jet pilot's license.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 11:39:19 AM »
What he said.

Airplanes are stupid expensive.  Even a basic twin-engine plane is around $1m these days.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 12:29:31 PM »

One, because you can't just buy it and drive away- it takes a lot of training, and there are no "special" standards for those who can't hack the study.
 And two, if they could buy it, take 10 hours of training and go, half would be dead in the first few minutes, another half dead by the end of the fuel load, and most of the rest gone by days end.
 It's too bad, in a way, because we could use a lot less wealthy idiots in this country.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 12:30:46 PM »
Airplane cheap. Stupid flight hours are expensive. Now pay the nice jet mechanic.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 12:55:38 PM »
There are "experimental" homebuilt jets in existence, but the regs that let them be cheap and have a cheap airworthiness certificate also require people to spend a lot of time building them.  A lot more work than just buying an exotic car.

If Ultralights weren't limited to 55 kts and 5 gals of fuel, I expect you'd see some turbine powered ones.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 01:14:56 PM »
And a weight limit.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 01:39:06 PM »
Airplanes are stupid expensive.  Even a basic twin-engine plane is around $1m these days.
Ouch.

Back when I was attending high school in Chicago, one of my teachers (taught Russian and Physics) owned a Beechcraft Baron - she and her husband used to fly it down to Florida to their vacation house on extended weekends.

In those days, I believe the price was a "mere" $85,000 . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 01:55:41 PM »

agricola

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 02:29:26 PM »
that Scorpion looks like the offspring of a Hawk and a F/A-18

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 04:45:45 PM »
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 05:17:27 PM »
FWIW, there is actually a growing market in "sporting" jets as rich men's toys.

Led, as one would expect, by ex Soviet stuff.

MiG 21, $150k (in Poland)

MiG 21 in the US, Flying, with spare engine $250k

Best yet:

MiG 29, Certified and flying in the US, $4.6M

I'd expect that the cost per flight hour and cost of parts for those would make the purchase cost seem trivial, but if your Bugatti has gotten boring, and you want something no one else at the executive airport has, a MiG would be pretty cool.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 08:15:43 PM »
If the buyer is not competent MiG will end up meaning Moron in Ground
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 08:33:07 PM »

No market

Plus the ones who can afford it are buying warbirds which are way cooler
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 12:52:13 AM »
One, because you can't just buy it and drive away- it takes a lot of training, and there are no "special" standards for those who can't hack the study.
 And two, if they could buy it, take 10 hours of training and go, half would be dead in the first few minutes, another half dead by the end of the fuel load, and most of the rest gone by days end.
It's too bad, in a way, because we could use a lot less wealthy idiots in this country.

I'm failing to see the down side.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 03:19:43 PM »
FWIW, there is actually a growing market in "sporting" jets as rich men's toys.

Led, as one would expect, by ex Soviet stuff.

MiG 21, $150k (in Poland)

MiG 21 in the US, Flying, with spare engine $250k

Best yet:

MiG 29, Certified and flying in the US, $4.6M

I'd expect that the cost per flight hour and cost of parts for those would make the purchase cost seem trivial, but if your Bugatti has gotten boring, and you want something no one else at the executive airport has, a MiG would be pretty cool.

Michael Dorn, the actor who played the Klingon "Worf" in STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION atleast at one time owned and flew IIRC a MiG 17. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 03:28:21 PM »

Michael Dorn, the actor who played the Klingon "Worf" in STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION atleast at one time owned and flew IIRC a MiG 17. 

OK, I finally feel some respect for Worf.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 03:45:01 PM »
Well, the FAA doesn't care for live ejection seats so you better have Klingon balls to fly a single engine jet warbird. The ATAC Hawker- Hunters and Kfirs I have been around have live seats but they are registered as experimental aircraft.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 07:33:48 PM »

Hmmmm. Wiki article said he has a T-33  and a F-86 Sabre.......I Coulda sworn he had a MiG.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2016, 11:22:12 PM »
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2016, 12:53:44 AM »
^^^Are there any other commercial/homebuilt small jets like this on the market?  I remember seeing the BD-5J at local airshows years ago, but I have not seen one for quite some time.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2016, 02:35:20 PM »
insanity is the term that best describes how the AF and the Navy look at, purchase, and use their planes.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2016, 03:42:19 PM »
I'm sort of surprised that nobody has come up with a kit/commercial version of a single seat sport jet modeled on the WWII German V-1 . . . maybe landing gear is too expensive, or the engine is hard to throttle?