Author Topic: uscca any opinions?  (Read 713 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
uscca any opinions?
« on: April 08, 2023, 03:39:49 PM »
 I recently took a pistol course in order to reacquire my ccw ( I had let it expire due to lack of money and plandemics )
 A lady from uscca came to the course to make a sales pitch about the cost of not having insurance, she made some really good points too.
 What do you folks think, I can't afford a lawyer - my plan has been to be innocent by being innocent
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

cordex

• Administrator
Re: uscca any opinions?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 03:42:57 PM »
I have no experience with USCCA, but there are probably other things you are uninsured or underinsured for that are vastly more likely to be needed than self defense shooting coverage.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 03:48:12 PM »
I have no experience with USCCA, but there are probably other things you are uninsured or underinsured for that are vastly more likely to be needed than self defense shooting coverage.

you know, that is a really good point - If I lost my job I would be up chit creek in no time at all
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2023, 03:48:24 PM »
I have always considered "carry insurance" as a way to separate fools from their money. But that is just speaking for me.

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 08:13:34 PM »
I know nothing about USCCA as a company,  but I have learned through bitter experience to be pretty skeptical  if all the guntoobers start getting the same sponsor all of a sudden.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 08:22:24 PM »
I know nothing about USCCA as a company,  but I have learned through bitter experience to be pretty skeptical  if all the guntoobers start getting the same sponsor all of a sudden.
You haven’t been happy with your Big Daddy Unlimited membership?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 08:45:51 PM »

Ha - Sig is a great example. While I don't follow any of the downrange guys regularly, I follow a number of them sporadically. It's amazing how many of them switched from Glock 19/19x/43s to P320/P365s because of "a buddy at Sig".  :rofl:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2023, 08:54:33 PM »
Extensive sponsorship is merely good business policy, nothing negative there to my mind.

A few years ago I would say the need for CCW insurance depended more on locale and personal activity patterns.  But since my formerly beloved Commierado turned blue the "locale" thing became less important by geographical factors and it depends more on your personal activity pattern.

I like your concept of being innocent by being innocent. Kudos!

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2023, 12:24:04 PM »
Extensive sponsorship is merely good business policy, nothing negative there to my mind.

A few years ago I would say the need for CCW insurance depended more on locale and personal activity patterns.  But since my formerly beloved Commierado turned blue the "locale" thing became less important by geographical factors and it depends more on your personal activity pattern.

I like your concept of being innocent by being innocent. Kudos!

Terry, 230RN

The Easter season is a good time to recall that being innocent can sometimes get you scheduled for execution.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2023, 01:59:36 PM »
Many years ago on one of the forums, I did a risk management analysis of one of the popular carry insurance policies, although I cannot recall the company.  You can only do a pertinent analysis if you read the actual policy language, including the declarations, insuring agreement, definitions, exclusions, conditions, and endorsements.  You cannot rely upon the marketing material. Many of the so-called carry insurance policies are actually a pre-paid legal plan that may provide some degree of post-event criminal legal defense, but provide no civil liability coverage.

I remember that I was not impressed by the coverage offered by the policy, either from the criminal or civil liability aspects.  I have not looked into these policies since. Several states ban the sale of this type of coverage insofar as the policy or the issuing company does not meet the state requirements for valid insurance. For what it is worth, I myself with a fair amount of assets to protect and having done liability defense work for 40+ years, have not found it necessary to buy this type of insurance. 

Edited to add: I thought I remembered this. CCW insurance cannot be sold in Washington state: https://www.insurance.wa.gov/news/kreidler-fines-uscca-100000-illegal-insurance-sales-policies

Edited to add again: Washington does provide for reimbursement of criminal defense costs if it turns out a case was self defense: https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.110 (state law) and https://govt.westlaw.com/wcrji/Document/Iabc10674a68411ebb0b88c27010a4399?transitionType=Default&contextData=%28sc.Default%29#:~:text=Under%20our%20state%20law%2C%20if,as%20for%20loss%20of%20time. (Washington Pattern Jury Instruction)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 02:11:59 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 08:09:54 PM »
Agree with Millcreek, but want to throw one bit more. I asked a few criminal defense attorneys at work about this, and none of the criminal defense bar knows anyone who is a part of this plan.  Why does this matter?  If the criminal al defense bar knows no one who does this work, who are they contracted ting with?  I don't like the idea of trusting my criminal al defense to some lawyer who signed on for the money, and doesn't spend a fair amount of time doing that kind of work. Especially in a self-defense situation.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 08:23:08 PM »
From what I gather at their website, they kinda just offer phone consultation, don't they? As in, you get in a shooting, you get on the phone, and they have some people, maybe with law degrees, that just tell you the basics of shutting up and stuff until you square away an attorney?

It doesn't say that the insurance covers any part of attorney fees, just that they have a "USCCA attorney network". Which maybe is just a list of attorneys in different areas that specialize in firearms law. Seems like you could do your own interneting to research qualified attorneys.

Anyway, if I get in a shooting, I'm calling my estate attorney.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2023, 09:13:47 PM »
In fairness to USCCA they say you get to choose your own attorney (they will provide one through their network in the interim) and the following:
$2,000,000
Annual Liability Insurance Limit

No Limit Defense Expenses
Defense Expenses Incurred in the Defense of a Civil or Criminal Proceeding or Investigation are Paid in Addition to the Limit of Liability for Covered Occurrences

$100,000 Cost of Bail Expenses
A $1,000,000 bail bond typically costs $100,000 or 10% of the limit. You’ll have $100,000 of funds available for bail expenses including cash bail or the cost of a bail bond and monitoring expenses.

$20,000
Up to $20,000 for Incidental Expenses

$750
Up to $750 Per Day for Actual Loss of Earnings
(Incurred at the Insurer's request in helping with the defense.)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2023, 09:43:22 PM »
^^^

That actually sound pretty reasonable. It just would go back to the ongoing discussion on paying for the insurance and probabilities.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2023, 09:57:40 PM »
Like most insurance, if you ever need it you’ll feel like it was a deal and if you never need it then it will feel like wasted money.

There is something about intentional acts in their legal fine print that I would need to clarify before buying, but given the cost I won’t be needing to look into it any time soon.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2023, 10:20:32 PM »
Like most insurance, if you ever need it you’ll feel like it was a deal and if you never need it then it will feel like wasted money.

There is something about intentional acts in their legal fine print that I would need to clarify before buying, but given the cost I won’t be needing to look into it any time soon.

As a risk manager, I live by the old saying: If something happens that is covered by insurance, everyone says you are brilliant for planning ahead and getting the insurance.  If something does not happen that is covered by insurance, everyone says you are an idiot for wasting all that money.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2023, 07:22:35 AM »
As a risk manager, I live by the old saying: If something happens that is covered by insurance, everyone says you are brilliant for planning ahead and getting the insurance.  If something does not happen that is covered by insurance, everyone says you are an idiot for wasting all that money.
I can't help but wonder whether or not that Army sergeant just convicted of murder in Austin, TX for shooting a BLM rioter that pointed a rifle at him had any sort of self-defense insurance, USCCA or otherwise.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2023, 09:21:11 AM »
I can't help but wonder whether or not that Army sergeant just convicted of murder in Austin, TX for shooting a BLM rioter that pointed a rifle at him had any sort of self-defense insurance, USCCA or otherwise.
From what I understand, most self defense policies don't pay out if you are found guilty.  I don't know if they want money back under those circumstances.  I don't know how a pardon would affect that.  I have never seen testimonials from people with good or bad things to say about that stuff.  The lawyers I have heard speak have stories, but they don't mention names or the money.
 The closest I can think of was a person who ran a now defunct business initially helped a person, but had to pull out after it was obvious the guy shot someone intentionally (not in self defense).  He said they just cut their losses and backed out of it.

The biggest benefit I look for from carry insurance is the ability to have a knowledgeable lawyer helping immediately and help with bail money.  If it goes to trial, things get more complicated anyway.  I figure it is going to cost even with that benefit. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2023, 03:53:49 AM »

Sounds almost like you're planning something. =D

The Easter season is a good time to recall that being innocent can sometimes get you scheduled for execution.

Good point and the analogy goes further.  He was "convicted," not by a trial, but by popular opinion after the Official (Pilate) proclaimed His innocence, and washed his hands of the matter.

Not unlike some similar SD cases of late.

And I believe (some may disagree) that a President of the U. S.  was "hounded out of office" by mass hysteria.

Terry, 230RN

REFs:
Mat 27:24
https://media.mutualart.com/Images/2019_07/22/17/170145499/a216d06e-5977-4047-aaa7-b1d14cb5fab4.Jpeg

« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 04:18:05 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.