Author Topic: Oklahoma Storms  (Read 4457 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Oklahoma Storms
« on: May 10, 2010, 09:46:22 PM »
How are my fellow Oklahomans after the storm?  Anyone in trouble?  If you need a hand let me know.  Thankfully Tulsa dodged the bullet this time.  I am right now hearing a report of at least 4 dead.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Oklahoma Storms
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 10:12:11 PM »
Pretty well dodged the bullet on this go around. I noticed my canoe is flipped over but that happens once in awhile.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 10:20:23 PM »
Pretty well dodged the bullet on this go around. I noticed my canoe is flipped over but that happens once in awhile.

That happens when you stand up in them. :laugh:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 10:31:19 PM »

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 10:33:25 PM »

The trip's not complete if you don't flip it at least once.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 10:36:27 PM »
We got a mild pounding up here in Wichita.  WSU canceled everything after 4pm, and they never close down for anything.

Sky went from gray, to green with sirens blaring, to near-night-darkness, to bright and sunny over the course of about an hour.  :O

Good thing the Q&A with Tiarht didn't last longer than it did...
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 10:37:54 PM »
The trip's not complete if you don't flip it at least once.

That's how I lost all my firearms.

Glad everybody so far seems OK.  Got tagged in one last August that was so sudden they didn't even blow the sirens until afterward.  I was in a car.  Wiped out every taillight, busted mirrors, dished in my license plate.  Large not-quite golf-ball hail was coming down at about a 15-20 degree angle to the horizontal.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:17:42 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 10:45:45 PM »
I'm about 75 miles south of Kansas City here. The sky turned green here too. We had heavy rain and then hail from pea size to golf ball. And then we got the real heavy rain.

The house has a moat around it and my little stream is running about eight feet wide.

I'm sore but I'm glad I got as much mowing and planting done this weekend as I did.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 12:53:37 AM »
See, BrokenPaw?  I TOLD you it was three hops left, two right THEN set the sacrifice on fire.  But NOOO,  "I don't need no stinkin' grimoire, I know what I'm doing."  
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 01:04:16 AM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 01:02:05 AM »
LMAO, Rev! Pure win, right there!
Hi.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 01:10:13 AM »
The Wiccan form of Boobquake?  ???

:laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 02:14:10 AM »
with some lake canoes. you can fill 'em up and sit down, and it floats with your shoulders just above water. great trick when it's hot. =D

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 09:52:15 AM »

I've never dumped a canoe unless I was screwing around.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 11:00:32 AM »

Talk about rocking the boat ...   :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 12:42:47 PM »
RoadKing Larry:

Tallpine:

Talk about rocking the boat ...

You mean, "If this canoe is rockin', don't come a-knockin'?"

How do you knock on a canoe?  ???

Terry, "Unaware of the ins and outs of screwing around in a canoe or for that matter, knocking thereupon," 230RN
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 12:58:21 PM by 230RN »

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 01:39:06 PM »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 01:42:29 PM »
How do you knock on a canoe?

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Canoe.

Canoe who?

Canoe throw me a life preserver?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 01:47:27 PM »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 08:44:50 PM »
Dang, I can't load youtubies because of my outdated browser.  And even if I could, they take a significant part of forever to load on my connection. I guess I'll have to get faster Girl Scouts.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 08:49:25 PM by 230RN »

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 09:38:02 PM »
i don't know if this will work, but this is the lowest res embedded links [popcorn] hey it was worth a shot. web page brought to you by a drunk and MS notepad.

edit: if that works link

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 11:04:13 PM »
I have round two building almost right on top of me now.

Round three is due to come in the afternoon with round three just behind that one.

This place will be a swamp for a while. I think the .45 Colt is about to get changed over to my carry piece. It is rough on the cottonmouths.

jim

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 12:12:15 AM »
Jeeze, snakes.  I never thought of that up here.

I'm kind of in a semi-flood area --near a river. I recently went out and bought a life jacket, swim goggles, and flippers.  Just in case.  Seen too many pics of folks stranded on the roof during flood situations.  Last resort kind of thing.

I still remember the Big Thompson flood of 1976.  I was on the CB radio during that one.  Not much anyone could do in the canyon itself, it was a sudden wall of water*, but folks downstream, out of the canyon had some chances to escape to high ground if warned.

I sure dislike sudden dangerous weather.

Terry, 230RN
"Wall of water"  The water forms up into a wall because the first part of the water flow is impeded by the terrain, but the water coming down behind it is not.  So the water piles up into a literal wall, with devastating effects.  This was what happened in the Big Thompson flood of July 31 1976.  One hundred forty-five people were killed in that narrow canyon. On a smaller scale, if you quickly pour a bucket of water out onto your driveway, you'll see the same effect

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 12:30:52 AM by 230RN »

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 12:17:40 AM »
Jeeze, snakes.  I never thought of that up here.

I'm kind of in a semi-flood area --near a river. I recently went out and bought a life jacket, swim goggles, and flippers.  Just in case.  Seen too many pics of folks stranded on the roof during flood situations.  Last resort kind of thing. 

If you ever get pulled off your roof wearing all of that, make sure someone puts on Youtube. I've got to see it. :O

jim

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 12:25:59 AM »
Last resort kind of thing. 
Get a wetsuit, too. Hypothermia is no fun.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 12:39:09 AM »
Jim147, laugh all you want, but I'd rather have it and not need it...

And if a chopper is up above, I'll ditch the flippers and goggles... but you'll notice even the rescuers coming down from the chopper to get people are wearing flotation vests.

But I'll try to remember to wave at you.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas, I was seriously thinking about a wet suit, but you start out with a .22, then go upscale.  I think I'd have time to put it on, but first things first.  Total investment was about $60, I think, but I lost the receipt.  Not that I'd be in a position to return the merchandise if it didn't work as intended.

That Big Thompson flood was wierd.  I remember the skies around Boulder CO were clear almost all night, but I could hear thunder rumbling off in the mountains somewhere.  Later that night, distress calls started to come in on the radio, and that's all she wrote.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:26:08 AM by 230RN »