Author Topic: The XP is falling! The XP is falling!  (Read 6859 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The XP is falling! The XP is falling!
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2014, 02:35:58 PM »
With the fresh install, it was no different than the initial build and registration process.  With the "build, then swap into a new system" process, it pointed out that it was registered with a different CPU and I had to re-validate it.  Nothing more than entering the registration code.

Chris

Gotchya, cool. That's easy as eatin' pie.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2014, 02:44:11 PM »
Get 8 Pro, and "downgrade" to win7.

I like that idea... I'll have to see what the church can buy 8.1 Pro for, and we can try it with Classic Shell before I downgrade it.  (I think that means I should run it w/o activation during the test period; can downgrade an activated copy but it's harder todo)

If 7 Home OEM is cheaper than discounted 8.1 Pro, I'll just do that.  I don't think we are using any "pro" features.
"It's good, though..."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2014, 09:34:53 PM »
Is there a way to still get legit Win 7 DVD's for, I dunno, $100 or less?

Yes. I bought a couple OEM copies of Windows 7 Pro 32-Bit, for $76.95.

http://www.productquest.net/miwi7.html

I installed them on IBM workstations, and for a few minutes they had Dell logos in the System Properties screen.

I fixed that.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2014, 10:13:57 PM »
Yes. I bought a couple OEM copies of Windows 7 Pro 32-Bit, for $76.95.

http://www.productquest.net/miwi7.html

I installed them on IBM workstations, and for a few minutes they had Dell logos in the System Properties screen.

I fixed that.

That's perfect.  32-bit 7 Pro is what I was looking for, but going to settle for Home or 64 (or 8.1) Thanks!  I don't care if they say "Dell"  ("HP" might be a problem ;))
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2014, 10:53:46 PM »
"Windows cannot install required files."  Something about "corrupt or missing", and error code 0x80070017.   [ar15]

I ran the BIOS diagnostics on the optical drive and it failed.  The GParted disk boots just fine, but that's a CD, not a DVD.  The Windows DVD booted the one time, but will not boot again (on that computer; I haven't tried it on another)

I'm going to make a copy of the DVD and see if maybe the copy works.  Also try to find how to copy the Windows 7 install media to a bootable USB thumb drive.
"It's good, though..."

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2014, 10:59:43 PM »
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2014, 11:59:49 PM »
I picked up a couple of these for one of my commercial customers wanting to upgrade on the cheap for his home office and one of his work systems.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/411741/OptiPlex_755_Desktop_Computer_Refurbished

I guess the system specs are just a guess. Both of the ones I got had 3 GB ram, dual head video cards and TV cards.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2014, 07:18:17 PM »
I picked up a couple of these for one of my commercial customers wanting to upgrade on the cheap for his home office and one of his work systems.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/411741/OptiPlex_755_Desktop_Computer_Refurbished

I guess the system specs are just a guess. Both of the ones I got had 3 GB ram, dual head video cards and TV cards.

jim

That is *very* close to the hardware we have.  Dell OptiPlex 360 (I think) that I upgraded last year w/ the fastest processor that will work in this socket, 3GB of RAM, and a Radeon X1300 graphics card.

Last night I took the install DVD home and ripped it, intending to make a backup copy and work from the copy.  The original disk had scuff marks on the back after the failed install attempt, and I don't think they were there before.  I ripped it to an ISO, then tried to burn the ISO to a DVD-R and got an error because it was too big to fit.  WTF, Microsoft?

I formatted a 8GB memory stick to FAT32, copied the ISO to that, and marked it bootable.  It booted on my PC at home.  This morning before church I started the install from the memory stick (had to play with the boot order in BIOS to get it to work) and it installed just fine -- quickly even.  I was surprised it never asked me to activate; even when I downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials.  I found the activation link in the Control Panel and activated it, otherwise it would have popped up and demanded the license key sometime when I wasn't there.

Now trying to track down all the Visual Basic 3.0 DLL's and VBX's to get some old 16-bit app that the preacher still uses to run.  I ended up copying the entire /windows/system folder from the old drive to the new one as C:/windows/system(old) and added that to the end of the PATH environment variable.  Seems to work.

When I left, Windows wanted to install Service Pack 1.  I declined for now; didn't want to waste a whole Sunday afternoon.

Applications (like Audacity) seem to run faster under W7 than they did under XP.  That could be my imagination, or it could be because it's a clean install without years of barnacles yet.
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2014, 07:46:54 PM »
That is *very* close to the hardware we have.  Dell OptiPlex 360 (I think) that I upgraded last year w/ the fastest processor that will work in this socket, 3GB of RAM, and a Radeon X1300 graphics card.

Last night I took the install DVD home and ripped it, intending to make a backup copy and work from the copy.  The original disk had scuff marks on the back after the failed install attempt, and I don't think they were there before.  I ripped it to an ISO, then tried to burn the ISO to a DVD-R and got an error because it was too big to fit.  WTF, Microsoft?

Microsoft has a utility for making bootable USB sticks from ISOs downloaded from them.  Requires an 8GB stick.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2014, 05:29:06 PM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2014, 05:49:17 PM »
If you know anyone who insists on keeping their XP box, for God's sake at least get them to use another browser besides IE.  Firefox or Chrome with Adblock at a minimum.  Adblock & Noscript if you can convince them.

Just convince them that some relatively lightweight VM is a browser, and set up DamnSmallLinux to boot straight into SeaMonkey.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2014, 05:51:34 PM »
Last night I took the install DVD home and ripped it, intending to make a backup copy and work from the copy.  The original disk had scuff marks on the back after the failed install attempt, and I don't think they were there before.

For the last time, hacking your old 45RPM record player in an attempt to make it a DVDROM drive will not work.