Author Topic: James Garner, RIP  (Read 3045 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: James Garner, RIP
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 01:28:41 PM »
Another sad day.  RIP.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 01:35:18 PM »
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

He looked...unwell in Space Cowboys.
I hope is last years were peaceful for him.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:24:35 PM by onions! »
jeff w

I like onions!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 01:48:18 PM »
Always liked Maverick and The Rockford Files. (except for the "Angel Martin" character.)

Support Your Local Sheriff and Support Your Local Gunfighter were my two favorite James Garner movies.

A class act, more talent than most of today's "stars." He will be missed.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 01:56:16 PM »
Bummer. RIP. He was great in Maverick, and Support Your Local Sheriff is one of my faves as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 02:00:02 PM »
"(except for the "Angel Martin" character.)"  

Well, he was supposed to be a bit of a sleazeball.  Very well done by Stuart Margolin, who in fact won two Emmys for the same role (very rare).

I liked the "Rockford FIles," as well as James Garner generally.

Question:  Was Rockford the PI who obtained a pardon and could then carry a gun?  I just don't remember, offhand.

RIP, James Garner.

Terry
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:03:19 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 02:16:46 PM »
Always liked Maverick and The Rockford Files. (except for the "Angel Martin" character.)

Support Your Local Sheriff and Support Your Local Gunfighter were my two favorite James Garner movies.[/b]

A class act, more talent than most of today's "stars." He will be missed.

Mine as well.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 02:58:23 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/07/20/movie-television-legend-james-garner-dies-at-86/?intcmp=features

Wonderful actor and a Korean War Vet.

I had no idea he was a Korean War vet. That just raises him a few notches in my already-high estimation of him.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 03:12:57 PM »
His Rockford character was also a Korea vet, which seems evident in one of the early episodes, where he cups his hand around his cigarette, on a stake-out.

Question:  Was Rockford the PI who obtained a pardon and could then carry a gun?  I just don't remember, offhand.

He was pardoned, but had no permit to carry. He sometimes carried a gun, anyway. He's been known to tell people that he doesn't carry because he's afraid of guns, or doesn't like them. Probably, he couldn't get one, because most cops hated him. At least, not in the first two seasons. I just started watching Rockford episodes on Hulu.com a few weeks ago, and got somewhere into season 2 when I got distracted by all the early Americana documentaries on the Youtubes. I used to watch Rockford re-runs when I was a kid, and it holds up pretty well, today.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:34:42 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 04:32:27 PM »
The Rockford Files was one of my favorite shows, and James Garner was always a favorite actor.

He seemed like a really nice guy, but on some late night talks shows he said he was really an "a hole". (His words).

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 04:36:24 PM »

He seemed like a really nice guy, but on some late night talks shows he said he was really an "a hole". (His words).

Usually when someone describes themselves as an A-hole, they are not...
RIP Mr. Garner.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 05:43:51 PM »
RIP Mr. Garner.
My thought also.  More humility than most actors would show I think.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 05:59:55 PM »
RIP
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 07:40:01 PM »
One of the first actors I appreciated as a kid thanks to his performance in "The Great Escape." RIP
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 07:59:56 PM »
RIP Mr. Garner.

Sounds like he stayed married to the same woman for 57 years. He must have been doing something right.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 08:50:27 PM »
A high school gym teacher recommended him for a job modeling Jantzen bathing suits. It paid well, $25 an hour, but in his first interview for the Archives of American Television, he said he hated modeling and soon quit and returned to Norman. There, he played football and basketball, as well as competing on the track and golf teams, for Norman High School. He never graduated from high school, explaining in a 1976 Good Housekeeping magazine interview: "I was a terrible student and I never actually graduated from high school, but I got my diploma in the Army."

Later, he joined the National Guard serving seven months in the United States. He then went to Korea for 14 months in the Regular Army, serving in the 5th Regimental Combat Team in the Korean War. He was wounded twice, first in the face and hand from shrapnel fire from a mortar round, and second on April 23, 1951 in the buttocks from friendly fire from U.S. fighter jets as he dove headfirst into a foxhole. Garner was awarded the Purple Heart in Korea for the first injury. For the second wound, he received a second Purple Heart (eligibility requirement: "As the result of friendly fire while actively engaging the enemy") :rofl:, although Garner received the medal in 1983, 32 years after his injury. Garner was a self-described "scrounger" for his company in Korea, a role he later played in The Great Escape and The Americanization of Emily.

Wish I had met the man.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 11:26:24 PM »
Jim Garner is one of my favorite all time actors! He taught me how to drive!  =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 12:00:28 AM »
Jim Garner is one of my favorite all time actors! He taught me how to drive!  =D

I love doing Jim Rockford u-turns. :)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 12:26:17 AM »
One of the first actors I appreciated as a kid thanks to his performance in "The Great Escape." RIP

According to Wikipedia, he really was a "scrounger" while in the service.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 12:00:29 PM »
I love doing Jim Rockford u-turns. :)

Yeah, those are still called "Rockfords".at least by us old guys.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 01:16:31 PM »
Nice writeup of Garner from 2011:
http://www.volokh.com/2011/12/21/the-garner-files-a-memoir/

Quote from: garner writes
Beyond that, I think an actor can contribute by making people forget their troubles for an hour or two. Call it relief, escape, diversion . . . I think one of the greatest gifts is being able to make people happy. I like to make people happy.”

So, if anyone asks, “How do you want to be remembered?” I tell them: “With a smile.”

Do read hte whole thing.   It is worth your time.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 06:09:24 PM »
So just on a whim I started watching The Rockford files. It's funny, witty, and as previously mentioned, holds up surprisingly well, when you make allowances for its age and time. Having been born in 1987, I'm enjoying the pure 70's-ness of it all. Especially the Detroit iron.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 07:07:46 PM »
So just on a whim I started watching The Rockford files. It's funny, witty, and as previously mentioned, holds up surprisingly well, when you make allowances for its age and time. Having been born in 1987, I'm enjoying the pure 70's-ness of it all. Especially the Detroit iron.

The good old days ...............
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 08:44:58 PM »
Coat-tailing on "the good old days," I've been watching "Highway Patrol" a lot, seeing what rural CA was like back then, too.  

Interesting tidbit I picked up off Wiki is that Broderick Crawford (the star) had had his DL revoked or suspended, so the shots where we was driving had to be filmed on the ZIF studio lot.

They seemed to like Plymouth Furies and Buicks.

Or that's what they happened to have sitting around to put the Patrol insignia on.

The police procedures shown were ridiculous, considering today's restrictions.  You just walk into someone's house and start picking through their stuff.  The "chain of evidence" concept seemed not to have been invented yet, either.

Oh, and the shooting scenes were laughable.  I mean, like 50 yard shots with Crawford's little snubby without aiming.

I'm trying to remember, but I don't think there was ever a question as to whether someone's gun was registered.

:)

Terry
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:50:44 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 11:13:43 PM »
Coat-tailing on "the good old days," I've been watching "Highway Patrol" a lot, seeing what rural CA was like back then, too.  

Interesting tidbit I picked up off Wiki is that Broderick Crawford (the star) had had his DL revoked or suspended, so the shots where we was driving had to be filmed on the ZIF studio lot.

They seemed to like Plymouth Furies and Buicks.

Or that's what they happened to have sitting around to put the Patrol insignia on.

The police procedures shown were ridiculous, considering today's restrictions.  You just walk into someone's house and start picking through their stuff.  The "chain of evidence" concept seemed not to have been invented yet, either.

Oh, and the shooting scenes were laughable.  I mean, like 50 yard shots with Crawford's little snubby without aiming.

I'm trying to remember, but I don't think there was ever a question as to whether someone's gun was registered.

:)

Terry

Yea.  I picked up the DVDs of the series.  I used to watch it as a kid when it was syndicated;  I lived in Connecticut and didn't get it there but it was on in Alabama and we visited every summer to see my grandparents so I caught it there.
Loved the opening theme.  
I don't think anyone was "big" on police procedure back then.  This was pre-Miranda and they had 26 minutes to do a show so you will not see very many search warrants and the like.  You will see a young Leonard Nimoy, Clint Eastwood,  and a few other upward coming tv/movie stars if you look closely enough.  
Try http://highwaypatroltv.com/  
If the website is still up there's a lot of info there.

Some info on cars from the website:

What cars were used ?
1954 Olds 88, 1955 Buick Century, 1955 Ford four-door (used in Hitchhiker), 1956 Mercury, 1956 Buick Super Riviera four door, 1956 Buick Special, 1956 Dodge Coronet, 1956 Olds 88, 1957 Buick Special, 1957 Dodge Coronet, 1957 Mercury, 1958 Buick Special, 1958 Dodge Coronet, 1959 Dodge Coronet, and a 1959 Plymouth four-door (used in Dan Hostage). Of all these cars, only the '54 Olds 88 and '55 Buick Century actually were real California Highway Patrol cars on loan to ZIV.
A collage of some of these cars is available.

Here's some commentary on the weapons and their amazing accuracy potential:

What guns were used ?
The highway patrolmen packed Smith & Wesson Model 10 Military & Police revolver, with 6" barrel [thanks to Bill Cawthon for this information]. Mathews' gun was a Smith & Wesson Model 10, with 2" barrel (snub nose) 38 Special. It was holstered on his left hip for a right hand draw. The uniformed officers had snap away holsters on their right side. Both revolvers held 6 bullets, which sometimes the show took liberties by extending the amount to 8 or more! The accuracy range on Dan's gun is about 25' or so. However, Dan was a dead eye. He could hit suspects off roofs, from the helicopter and even hiding in the mountains using a one handed grip and no site! He also had a keen ability to "call for the coroner" without even checking the suspect for vitals. The .38 is still a favorite of many officers today - as noted in this NY Times article.
Criminals carried handguns, shotguns, and even a bazooka !

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:27:02 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero