Author Topic: If Only I Had The $$$$/Steve McQueen's Pickup/Camper  (Read 1409 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
If Only I Had The $$$$/Steve McQueen's Pickup/Camper
« on: August 19, 2015, 05:20:51 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/08/19/steve-mcqueen-152-chevrolet-pickup-camper-being-auctioned-on-ebay/?intcmp=hpff

Pickup camper owned by Steve McQueen and one of the last vehicles he rode in before his death.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HankB

• friend
Re: If Only I Had The $$$$/Steve McQueen's Pickup/Camper
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 06:18:02 PM »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 08:01:29 PM »
That is just cool on four wheels.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 09:27:20 PM »
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=49279.0

I was away on a trip  :facepalm:

Anyway, I don't think that the 235 six is original, because I seem to remember that they didn't start making them until after 1952 (would have been the 216 back then I think).

I had a 235 in a 1958 Chevy C-60.

Trouble is that if I somehow had the money for that outfit, I would want to take it out camping instead of parking it in a protected garage.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 09:44:35 PM »
Per the Kennedy Garand article on the rest of the aurction lot:

The RIAC expects the rifle will bring between $50,000 to $100,000 at auction. Other notable firearms in the auction house’s catalog include a gold-washed Walther PP once owned by Waffen-SS General Karl Wolff, as well as a pair of lavishly decorated percussion pistols presented to the 10th Earl of Dundonald, Lord Cochrane.

One of the "famous-owned" guns I'd like to see rise to the surface again would be the gold plated PPK that Elvis Presley gave to Jack Lord of Hawaii 5-0 fame.

Apparently Lord was not a gun lover, and did not really appreciate the gesture.

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2007/Summer-Sale/lot-288.html

(Note date.)

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 10:05:55 PM »
One of the "famous-owned" guns I'd like to see rise to the surface again would be the gold plated PPK that Elvis Presley gave to Jack Lord of Hawaii 5-0 fame.

I always got the impression from the show that he was pretty much an ahole - wonder if he was that way in real life ?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 10:52:43 PM »
Per the Kennedy Garand article on the rest of the aurction lot:

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2007/Summer-Sale/lot-288.html

(Note date.)

Jack Lord ("Steve McGarrett" of "Hawaii Five-O") was notoriously anti gun in real life.

I always got the impression from the show that he was pretty much an *expletive deleted*hole - wonder if he was that way in real life ?

He was somewhat of a stickler but he was known to always be on set on time and know his lines; he hated it (and had no patience for) when guest stars would be late or not know their lines (or worse, both).
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 12:10:07 AM »
According to the auction site, Jack's wife Marie recounted the incident in part as follows:

After about 15 minutes, he [Presley] said to Jack, with a kid-type smile on his face: "I brought you a present, Jack. I tried to think of something to bring you that you don't have. The only thing I could think of was this." Inside the box he presented to Jack was a solid gold Walther revolver.

I bring this up in relation to the fact that to a lot of non-gun people, any handgun is a "revolver."  I've noticed this especially in reports and writings from Great Britain.  Also, in 1973, the term "bullets" was often used for the more correct term, "cartridges."

I also toyed with the idea of a "solid gold" PPK. :D

A.   Damned thing is heavy enough already.
B.   Would wear out in 35 shots.  (Other estimates welcome.)
C.   Would not need such a heavy recoil spring.
D.   The "solid gold" would make better bullets (yes, bullets) than a gun.

I won't comment on Ryan's (PKA Lord's) personality.

Jes' ramblin'.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 10:58:04 AM »
I always got the impression from the show that he was pretty much an *expletive deleted*hole - wonder if he was that way in real life ?
When the show was on and popular, one of my Dad's colleagues from work went on vacation to Hawaii - he and his wife encountered some of the Five-o cast and said "HI" to them.

Jack Lord was rude and obnoxious, and told them not to bother him - using some rather vulgar language in the process. As he stalked off, up walks James MacArthur - who played  "Danno" in the original series - who apologized for Lord's behavior and invited them to be his guest at dinner. They accepted - and the actor was a very friendly and personable, down-to-earth fellow. Apparently, Lord was not particularly well-liked by his fellow cast members . . .

The "famous owned" gun I'd really like to get my hands on is Teddy Roosevelt's H&H double rifle - aside from being owned and used by TR, it was presented to him as a gift by a long list of Brit luminaries, with plenty of documentation. It appeared in George Butler's hunting film "In The Blood" and at the time was estimated to be worth $500,000.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 11:07:57 AM »
I was away on a trip  :facepalm:

Anyway, I don't think that the 235 six is original, because I seem to remember that they didn't start making them until after 1952 (would have been the 216 back then I think).

I had a 235 in a 1958 Chevy C-60.

Trouble is that if I somehow had the money for that outfit, I would want to take it out camping instead of parking it in a protected garage.

Yep, 235 was in the 1953 and later models. I had a '49 with a 216 years ago.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »
Yep, 235 was in the 1953 and later models. I had a '49 with a 216 years ago.

I don't think the 216 was quite known for it's long life  =|

My mom had a brand new 1951 that was pretty well wore out by 1957.

The place where we used to winter in Colorado had a bunch of those old Chevy/GMC pickups and trucks (going back to a 1946 model).  They did well for low speed and local use, and would start up under the most absurd conditions: 20 below, no heater, and a weak battery.  One of the kids let the oil run low in one of the dump trucks and ruined it  :facepalm:  (you can't replace rod bearings in those old sixes).

That McQueen truck would be a beast with a 292 in it  :cool: