Author Topic: Someone Forgot To Do A Proper PMCS  (Read 1265 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Someone Forgot To Do A Proper PMCS
« on: January 25, 2016, 03:46:53 PM »
http://dailycaller.com/2016/01/22/second-navy-combat-ship-goes-down-because-someone-forgot-to-check-the-oil/

:facepalm:

According to reports, the crew failed to use sufficient lube oil, leading to excessively high temperatures on the gears.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Someone Forgot To Do A Proper PMCS
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 04:06:00 PM »
There was no oil sheen on the tarmac surface of the water first thing in the morning.  Where else could leaked oil go?

My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 05:17:41 PM »
Lt. Cmdr. Matt Knight, a spokesman for the US Pacific Fleet, told Defense News. “USS Fort Worth has been a model of reliability for more than one year while deployed in the US 7th Fleet.
1 year? 

They mentioned debris in the oil also.  Could be supply tubing or a nozzle got plugged up with debris.  The orifices for some of those nozzles get pretty dang small.  We had a bearing melt down on a small compressor motor once.  It had a really small nozzle supplying oil.  You had to get close to even see the little bit of debris that plugged it. 

Other than that, I would ask if they have enough people keeping up with it and how well trained they are on a relatively new ship.

Do they have bearing/gear temperatures on those engines?  Automatic shutdowns? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 05:32:28 PM »
I wonder if this is first generation of the class, or even one of the first ships out of the shipyard?

We had a "cutting edge" class of research vessels based on an aluminum cat design. The boat I worked on the most was the first boat off the line. I only ran missions off it so don't know much about the infrastructure, but I remember that within the first few years there were a LOT of maintenance and operational SOP revisions for that boat, and design changes that went into the newer boats.  I think sometimes you can only gather so much data from sea trials, and other stuff you have to learn the hard way via operations.

Maybe some of the stuff here is not, or only partially crew error, and more in the "catastrophic discovery" area of maintenance changes that need to be made?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 05:53:40 PM »
I wonder if the debris might have come from the wrecked gearing. 

One year?  Reminds me of one of my ex-wives' cars.  Yep, the "check engine" light has been working fine for a whole year.  :facepalm:
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 06:01:45 PM »
I wonder if the debris might have come from the wrecked gearing. 

One year?  Reminds me of one of my ex-wives' cars.  Yep, the "check engine" light has been working fine for a whole year.  :facepalm:
I was trying not to blame the sailors.  That explanation would assume maintenance personnel and leadership was poor. 

It could also be there was no "check engine" light because someone claimed it could never fail the way it did. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 06:10:47 PM »
According to Wikipedia, the armament of this 3500 ton ship consists of a 57mm gun, two .50 BMGs, torpedos, and RIM surface to air missiles.

Unless the Wiki article missed something, this doesn't sound like much punch for a 3500 metric ton warship.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 06:13:08 PM »
The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain!

Just a thought.

Now, if you would like some light reading, how about JAG investigations into a select few Navy things.

Maybe someday this one will be there. ;)

http://www.jag.navy.mil/library/jagman_investigations.htm

bob

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 06:59:53 PM »
According to Wikipedia, the armament of this 3500 ton ship consists of a 57mm gun, two .50 BMGs, torpedos, and RIM surface to air missiles.

Unless the Wiki article missed something, this doesn't sound like much punch for a 3500 metric ton warship.

It's not, but it is enough to chase pirates, patrol sea lanes, deliver specwar, and generally show the flag. In a perfect world I would want a ship that carried lotsa Harpoons and served up missiles for an Aegis DDg to control, but ohwell.

Stuff like this happens all the time, poorly trained sailors supervised poorly. You figure you get a new guy and you want him to obtain 2,000 or so line item signatures in his first 6 months on various training items. The chain of command doesn't particularly care about quality of training unless someone f's up. They care about telling their dept. head why Seaman Shmuckatelli is on the delinquent list.  So you get sailors who are qualified on paper but not competent.

My last active duty ship had a engineering roving watch sign off on a bunch of checks during the watch. come to think of it it was most likely a lot of watches that signed off everything was a-ok. Problem was a main shaft bearing was 19 quarts low. Ooops. Put inch deep grooves in the main shaft of a 2 screw ship while we were deployed. Buddy of mine set up the rig to turn it in place after it was repaired. Or the time the emergency diesel came up with salt water in the lube oil, or the time....

AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 07:16:27 PM »
It's not, but it is enough to chase pirates, patrol sea lanes, deliver specwar, and generally show the flag. In a perfect world I would want a ship that carried lotsa Harpoons and served up missiles for an Aegis DDg to control, but ohwell.

Isn't one of the points of the LCS that it's hanging out in waters not especially good for an Aegis DDG?  My understanding was the LCS's had a kinda limited role as far as actual ship to ship combat goes.

Quote from: Ben
I wonder if this is first generation of the class, or even one of the first ships out of the shipyard?
The USS Fort Worth is the second Freedom class LCS launched.

Not sure what the Fort Worth specifically has, but the Freedom class LCS's have modular weapons packages.  They can drop different packages into the boat as needed.  I seem to recall the SUW package has a VLS system, Hellfire's and Cannon.

At this point in the design and fielding however I think the LCS's are basically glorified SWCC boats.