Author Topic: Maine Missle Site For Sale  (Read 2587 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Maine Missle Site For Sale
« on: March 22, 2016, 04:56:52 PM »
http://www.missilebases.com/#!nike-northernmaine/c1bmm

Any New Englanders want their own bunker complex?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Maine Missle Site For Sale
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 11:52:21 PM »
Tempting -- except that I know first-hand how long the winters can be in mid-coastal Maine, and this site is in northern Maine.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 12:25:24 AM »
Tempting -- except that I know first-hand how long the winters can be in mid-coastal Maine, and this site is in northern Maine.

I guess it's a good thing it's underground. =)
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 12:26:12 AM »
I like the commo bunkers better than the missile bunkers.

There must be some kind of niche demand now. I remember one of the times we talked about these a few years ago, they, even those in good shape, were going in the low hundreds of thousands. I think some were even under $100K. Now it looks closer to a million dollar median.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 04:29:43 AM »
Betcha the soviets still have them targeted on some computers somewhere, betcha betcha.

Might make a halfway decent novelty time share.  One week in a missile silo or something.

Or a unique bed and breakfast getaway for a weekend.

Got close to one facility up on the Grasslands once. There was an electric meter going outside the gate I walked up to and looked at.  Meter disc was spinning like mad.  Two armed soldiers drove up and asked me what I was doing.  Told them I was just curious and they advised me (quite politely, actually) to go get curious somewhere else.  Sir.  Thank you, Sir.

Could've been the facility that UFOmongers claim all the electronics got shut down during a "saucer flap."  Same general area, and I did see something spooky in the sky one night up there while outside my camper grabbing a smoke in the darkness.  More or less the right time, mid sixties or so.  
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 04:51:49 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 06:36:23 AM »
Stick to tobacco, fewer UFOs.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 07:41:50 AM »
:rofl: :rofl:

There are several of them that are for sale in and around the KC area.  If I had the money it would be tempting.

The one in Tucson looks like a pretty sweet deal also.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 12:57:10 PM by wmenorr67 »
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 11:04:16 AM »

The one in Tuscan looks like a pretty sweet deal also.

Plus Italian women are hot and saucy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 12:42:17 PM »
I just clicked through the picture gallery of the Nike base in Maine.  I am struck by how closely it resembles the former Nike base on Vashon Island in Puget Sound, which up until a few years ago, still had many of the original buildings on it.  I spent some time going through it, including the original missile shelters.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 02:13:52 PM »
I like the commo bunkers better than the missile bunkers.

There must be some kind of niche demand now. I remember one of the times we talked about these a few years ago, they, even those in good shape, were going in the low hundreds of thousands. I think some were even under $100K. Now it looks closer to a million dollar median.

Ayep, "long haul coaxial switching centers". AT&T owned a bunch and greatly reduced the number when fiber became a thing. They're better built than the government ones, and you could make money with them if you wanted to build a data center or even just offsite storage. Unlike the government ones, AT&T did all the hazmat removal before decommissioning. Lot of them still have the support equipment on site.

Some only closed in the 90's and are in pretty good to virtually perfect conditions.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 04:01:21 PM »

:rofl: :rofl:

Sober enough to not tell anyone for 50 years.  :old:

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 10:45:20 PM »
There is a att long line site near me that also has the blast resistant antenna tower and microwave dishes. The ones around here were designed with microwave links to bounce around NYC and other key ares.
The towers although only a few hundred feet tall are built like a brick poop house. The towers we designed to withstand a near blast. Supposedly they had spare microwave horns in the basement if they got blown off the tower. I don't think att owns the site anymore but its still in use. I think its owned by L3 now.
If you have some time to kill and want to do some reading, this is a historical site about bell.
http://www.beatriceco.com/bti/porticus/bell/longlines.html
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 10:54:38 PM »
There's a Fox News story about the Maine site. Funny, when we talk about acquiring these kinds of places, it's for self-sustaining lifestyles or "retirement property". The people selling the one in Maine say they're doing so because they want to retire and the place is too much work.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/23/hunker-in-their-bunker-maine-couple-selling-preppers-paradise.html?intcmp=hplnws

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 01:29:11 AM »
There is a att long line site near me that also has the blast resistant antenna tower and microwave dishes. The ones around here were designed with microwave links to bounce around NYC and other key ares.
The towers although only a few hundred feet tall are built like a brick poop house. The towers we designed to withstand a near blast. Supposedly they had spare microwave horns in the basement if they got blown off the tower. I don't think att owns the site anymore but its still in use. I think its owned by L3 now.
If you have some time to kill and want to do some reading, this is a historical site about bell.
http://www.beatriceco.com/bti/porticus/bell/longlines.html

Some of the stuff in the link I've seen elsewhere. Neat stuff though. Still a few of the old microwave relay sites around in the territory I cover. Some still have the towers in place. My favorite sites is located about a mile off the paved road on a big ranch. Getting out to it at night.can be fun.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 08:41:58 AM »

Example of a hardened commo bunker near me: http://www.coldwarcomms.org/l5/pottstown/pottstown.html
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.