Main Forums > The Roundtable

TPM, homebuilds, and Win11

(1/11) > >>

AZRedhawk44:
I was always curious why my homebuild gaming PC would report on Windows Update, running Windows 10, that it wasn't compatible with Windows 11.

I did some research and found out it was due to the Trusted Platform Module in the BIOS.  All I had to do was enable/clear TPM and on the next reboot and WinUpdate check I was invited to upgrade to Windows 11.

That being said, is Win11 worth upgrading to?  What am I getting as far as gaming extensibility that I'm not getting with Windows 10?  What restrictions/compromises will I get on my computer as a result of the upgrade?

lee n. field:
Worth it?   Probably only because Win 10 will be going to the Limbo of Unsupported OSs in the not too distant future.

I find it mostly annoying to deal with, more than anything else, compared to Win 10.  (I'm talking Pro here.  Don't go with Home.)

AZRedhawk44:
Yeah I'm Win10Pro right now.  It's offering 11, didn't pay close enough attention to see if it's offering Pro or Home.

I've been meaning for awhile to spin up a Samba domain on my NAS and join my PC to it; I've heard that a lot of the document and profile snooping in Windows 10 is disabled for domain user environments.

WLJ:
On my main home office desktop I bit the bullet yesterday and updated it to 11 after playing with 11 for a while in a virtual machine. You quickly get used to it but I think you may know some of my dislikes from another thread. My laptop doesn't meet the stated HW requirements but I will force feed it before too long.

For S&G I force fed it on a 2010 Acer with a AMD Phenom II X 4 w/8gb & SSD and was surprised at how well it ran. Runs smooth and is perfectly usable for anything but newer games. Remains to be seen how long MS will allow bypassing the HW requirements but heck they even tell you how to do it.

lee n. field:

--- Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on September 14, 2023, 03:35:02 PM ---Yeah I'm Win10Pro right now.  It's offering 11, didn't pay close enough attention to see if it's offering Pro or Home.
--- End quote ---

If you're upgrading from Pro you'll upgrade to Pro.

--- Quote ---I've been meaning for awhile to spin up a Samba domain on my NAS and join my PC to it; I've heard that a lot of the document and profile snooping in Windows 10 is disabled for domain user environments.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version