Author Topic: South Dakota becomes latest state to allow concealed handguns without permit  (Read 1371 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/south-dakota-becomes-latest-state-to-allow-concealed-handguns-without-permit.amp?__twitter_impression=true

South Dakota has become the latest state to remove permit requirements for gun owners to carry and conceal their weapons.

The state’s new Republican governor, Kristi Noem, signed SB 47 into law Thursday. The legislation permits residents to legally carry a firearm concealed on their person so long as they are allowed to possess one.

The bill passed the state Senate by a 23-11 vote and the state House by a vote of 47-23, reports said. In a tweet, Noem said the new law reflects the vision of the Founding Fathers and protects Second Amendment gun rights.
Congratulations to South Dakota. 

South Dakota is the 14th state to remove the concealed carry permit requirement. Twenty-eight other states and the District of Columbia have a "shall-issue" system, which grants permits to those who pass background checks and other requirements.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Reports have just come in that the 5 people who live in South Dakota were killed this morning, by a herd of rampaging guns.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Good for them!

I wonder what vehicle carry is with it? One dumb thing Idaho does with (state resident only) permitless carry is not include vehicles. A loaded gun in a vehicle has to be in plain view or locked up, and the only way around it is to get a permit. To be legal, you have to keep unholstering and reholstering to get in and out of your car.

That seems kinda bass akwards to me given that my vehicle, to me, is closer to the inside of my home than it is to the sidewalk or the grocery store.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend

Hawkmoon

• friend
Good for them!

I wonder what vehicle carry is with it? One dumb thing Idaho does with (state resident only) permitless carry is not include vehicles. A loaded gun in a vehicle has to be in plain view or locked up, and the only way around it is to get a permit. To be legal, you have to keep unholstering and reholstering to get in and out of your car.

That seems kinda bass akwards to me given that my vehicle, to me, is closer to the inside of my home than it is to the sidewalk or the grocery store.

Pennsylvania's permitless open carry law is the same -- it doesn't allow carry or transport of a loaded handgun in a vehicle.

As to the South Dakota law ... the article says it allows permitless carry "for residents." Does that mean that visitors to South Dakota are NOT allowed to carry without a permit? I don't see how that could possibly be constitutional.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Ah, damn it, BTR beat me to it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Reports have just come in that the 5 people who live in South Dakota were killed this morning, by a herd of rampaging guns.

Only five were killed?  The rampaging guns are off their game, obviously.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Only five were killed?  The rampaging guns are off their game, obviously.

You missed part of the joke.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
How does that work with a street encounter with an LEO?  How does he verify then and there that the stopped individual with a concealed weapon is not prohibited?

Sounds like a dumb question, but then again, I'm dumb.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
You missed part of the joke.

I reread what fistful posted.  I sure did miss part of the joke.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
How does that work with a street encounter with an LEO?  How does he verify then and there that the stopped individual with a concealed weapon is not prohibited?

Terry

I suppose it's the same as in the other dozen states that don't require a permit. They run your name and/or vehicle tag through the computer. I've had cops do that to me, just because I pulled off the road to use my phone, so it shouldn't be anything new.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Terry

Just like with everything else, simply tell them, "YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME! I'M A SOVEREIGN CITIZEN!!!"

Works every time.  >:D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
I guess it is almost the opposite in Texas.  They don't allow permitless carry, but you can keep a concealed weapon in your vehicle no problem.  I guess there is a history as to how it got that way.  Sort of fits in with castle doctrine though.  

There are people proposing Constitutional Carry here.  I doubt it will pass this year, but hopefully it is gaining support.  The guys who would push it are going all in on property tax reform so I don't know if anything else will get much attention.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
Just like with everything else, simply tell them, "YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME! I'M A SOVEREIGN CITIZEN!!!"

Works every time.  >:D
Is that new set of magic words that is supposed to work? 

Hawkmoon

• friend
Is that new set of magic words that is supposed to work? 

Only if followed by the mystical incantation, "I DO NOT RECOGNIZE YOUR AW-THAW-RIH-TAY!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Ky already has no permit needed open carry but you still need a permit to conceal carry. Kind of makes open carry a bear in winter without a permit since once you put a coat on you're suddenly carrying concealed. They keep talking about going no permit needed for both but every time it comes up it kind of evaporates into thin air. My guess is they look at the money they make on the permits and say nope.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes