Author Topic: What's going on with the bump stock ban?  (Read 635 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
What's going on with the bump stock ban?
« on: February 06, 2019, 03:43:32 PM »
You know, you had so many days to turn them in.
Last I heard it was going to be challenged in court but then nothing. Seems like it completely fell off the radar after that.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
Re: What's going on with the bump stock ban?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 04:17:57 PM »
I heard an interview around New Years that said the new rule had not been signed by the acting Attorney General  and the Govt Shutdown meant that it would not be entered into the federal register.  Apparently, the clock starts ticking (90 days?) when it is written into the federal register.  Also, the fact that an acting Attorney General who had not been approved by the Senate would sign it was one of the things they would sue about.  If the order has not yet been signed, that might be the reason.  Waiting on the Senate to confirm the new AG.  

That was a month ago.  With everyone focused on Shot Show, I haven't heard anyone mention this except in general terms.

The lawyer from that interview suggested everyone hold on to their bump stocks.  He said there were several different reasons a judge should stop or reject this rule change.  One was they didn't properly follow set procedures on implementing new rules.  Apparently, that has been used to throw out regulations in the past.  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 05:48:40 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 05:39:10 PM »
I heard an interview around New Years that said the new rule had not been signed by the acting Attorney General  and the Govt Shutdown meant that it would not be entered into the federal register.  Apparently, the clock starts ticking (90 days?) when it is written into the federal register.  Also, the fact that an acting Attorney General who had not been approved by the Senate would sign it was one of the things they would sue about.  If the order has not yet been signed, that might be the reason.  Waiting on the Senate to confirm the new AG.  

That was a month ago.  With everyone focused on Shot Show, I haven't heard anything mention this except in general terms.

The lawyer from that interview suggested everyone hold on to their bump stocks.  He said there were several different reasons a judge should stop or reject this rule change.  One was they didn't properly follow set procedures on implementing new rules.  Apparently, that has been used to throw out regulations in the past. 

This is not true. It was entered into the register on Dec 26th. Here is the rule, in the register with publication dates and effective dates.

The various lawsuits have been filed, but none have received a court date yet.  Barring an injunction being issued, March 26th, 2019 bump stocks become illegal machine guns.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 05:48:02 PM »
Maybe it was before Christmas.  I have slept since then.   =D

Thanks for the correction.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 05:58:28 PM »
Maybe it was before Christmas.  I have slept since then.   =D

Thanks for the correction.

I typed unclearly.  You probably did hear the interview around new years. That theory was floating around the net a lot then.  It is/was wrong, because while those bloggers were crafting that theory, they published the rule.  I probably came off a little short because I have had that argument, including the link I posted, like 10 times on different FB groups in Jan.