Author Topic: Forget NASA!! Have a Danish instead  (Read 2404 times)

Antibubba

• friend
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Forget NASA!! Have a Danish instead
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 08:05:28 AM »
Nice....if they pull it off, space flight goes commercial....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 08:09:34 AM »
That is so awesome. Best of luck to them =).
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 10:38:25 AM »
That is really cool. I seem to remember a thread here about these guys while they were building Nautilus.

RevDisk should have his characters take a flight to Denmark and recruit these guys for his story. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 10:46:13 AM »
The astro-nut has to stand the entire flight. I wonder how many Gs one can tolerate before black out.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 12:32:13 PM »
The astro-nut has to stand the entire flight. I wonder how many Gs one can tolerate before black out.

Supposedly their system will subject the occupant to only three Gs, so standing should be doable.  I won't call the individual that will ride this thing an astronaut as he is only going to 18 miles altitude on a straight up/down flight. That is about 35 miles short of what is considered "space".
However, the 'cool factor' is undeniable, and it may lead to bigger and better commercial, non-government rocket systems.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:35:17 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 12:35:55 PM »
This flight is just going to contain a dummy, rather than a human; to 18 miles (as RocketMan mentioned), rather than the 93 miles the journalist appears to have pulled from his rear-end. An excellent start for a small private company, though!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 12:41:40 PM »
Thanks, Marnoot, I forgot about the dummy part.  According to their website, their goal is an eventual human sub-orbital space flight in a larger rocket.  These guys bear watching as they may actually pull this thing off.  They sure seem determined given the extensive test program they've been running.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 01:39:22 PM »
The floating launch platform is interesting. This has got to be a major money saver, what with not buying real estate.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 02:14:18 PM »
The floating launch platform is interesting. This has got to be a major money saver, what with not buying real estate.

Yeah, I'm really interested in the stability of the platform related to launch precision. I wonder if it has some kind of dynamic positioning system for stability, and what their sea condition parameters are for launch.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 05:45:56 PM »
Proably saves them from a lot of red tape as well... "You are going to do WHAT?!?!? on that property? Launch rockets into space?!?!?!?"
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 08:09:39 PM »
That is really cool. I seem to remember a thread here about these guys while they were building Nautilus.

RevDisk should have his characters take a flight to Denmark and recruit these guys for his story. :)

Oh, we have rockets already.   Soon, we will have more.  A lot more.  Like, Soviet Union more. 

(insert maniacal laughter)

But damn, these guys are doing great work.  It'll be interesting to see what happens come launch.   If it lands in relatively one piece, I'm donating some bucks to the cause.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 08:11:04 PM »
Would this sort of thing be legal here in the US?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 08:23:34 PM »

Yea. 

Tho honestly?  You don't want to open a private space company in the US if you can avoid it, unless you're politically well connected or have the cash to become well connected.  Importing or exporting the tech you develop would be quite tricky, as it would near certainly fall under the provisions of ITAR.  You'd need to file a DSP-5 form with State per export.  There would be other paperwork for importing any tech.  State can approve or disapprove licenses on their own whim.

The US Munitions List (which mostly actually regulate non-weapons) lists metric tons of technology that requires a license to export under ITAR.  It's a huge boon to the European space industry, as ITAR is very cumbersome and limiting. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 08:33:55 PM »

The government wasn't very happy with the ex-sheriff that built that rocket in his junkyard. ;)

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 11:44:04 PM »
Yea. 

Tho honestly?  You don't want to open a private space company in the US if you can avoid it, unless you're politically well connected or have the cash to become well connected.  Importing or exporting the tech you develop would be quite tricky, as it would near certainly fall under the provisions of ITAR.  You'd need to file a DSP-5 form with State per export.  There would be other paperwork for importing any tech.  State can approve or disapprove licenses on their own whim.

The US Munitions List (which mostly actually regulate non-weapons) lists metric tons of technology that requires a license to export under ITAR.  It's a huge boon to the European space industry, as ITAR is very cumbersome and limiting. 

This.

ITAR, which makes sense in many cases, is a competitiveness killer.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 09:04:20 PM »
This.

ITAR, which makes sense in many cases, is a competitiveness killer.

Hopefully, this will soon be a less applicable,

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 10:30:04 PM »
Hopefully, this will soon be a less applicable,

...esp. if the Chinese & Russians keep selling off all the stuff they stole from us...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 07:23:56 AM »
...esp. if the Chinese & Russians keep selling off all the stuff they stole from us...

And the stuff Clinton sold them (for campaign contributions?).