Author Topic: New TV Show: Revolution  (Read 12542 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: New TV Show: Revolution
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2012, 11:31:22 PM »
When do the Amish notice that something is wrong?  This is their chance to totally take over...
"It's good, though..."

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2012, 12:09:22 AM »

The Amish figure it out when everyone from miles in every direction starts showing up pleading to be taught in the old ways.

Out in this neck of the woods, it would be the Mennonites (technically, the non-Amish Mennonites, since the Amish are a splinter Mennonite culture, as I remember it).

In any case, when the power goes, their first indication might be when they rode into town and found that the general store was dark and the pay phone on the corner no longer worked.  However, I'm guessing a distressed population of "them English" would have already showed up begging for guidance.

That would frankly be kind of cool.

Except for the inevitable hordes of armed looters thing . . .

(BTW, up here, the Mennonites actually use electricity, so they'd know it was time to go to fallback systems pretty early on.)
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2012, 12:35:05 AM »
I just watched the first 3 episodes with my gf... who is greatly amused by my rants.  I've had to pause the tv a few times for the lengthier ones...

Sooo, at what point are they going to show, rather than just tell, us why Monroe's militia is the bad guys?  That ex-claim's investigator seemed to gives folks every possible chance. I've not seen or heard anything especially heinous or otherwise terrible.  The daughter did make one statement about her father not stopping armed men from taking the village's women, but that wasn't linked to MM and had never come up before; it doesn't really seem to fit their MO at all either.   

I do love the American system, but frankly, tech is down, that is a lot of overhead to support.  Scale it up with the infrastructure; those rebels are just terrorists. 

I've got to go get me one of those M pins...   >:D

=| Did you not see the parts where they kill people who have guns?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2012, 01:01:33 AM »

I did see most of the pilot.  When the "militia" came to the village and the kid threatened them with a crossbow and the old man had a rifle or shotgun, they screwed up bigtime.  Snipe the guy in charge (the black guy who was doing all the talking), preferably from behind cover so they don't see where it comes from.  Don't monologue about it first, just shoot.  I was almost yelling at the TV.

Better yet, wait til you get a chance to shoot him in the back while they are out on the road.  (Shoot him in the back??  That's not The Cowboy Wayâ„¢!)  When you are outnumbered and outgunned, fighting fair is for suckers.  We could learn a thing or three from the Afghans.
"It's good, though..."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2012, 02:30:48 AM »
The reason I keep watching the show is the bad guys are in favor of gun control.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2012, 10:04:35 AM »

I did see the part where the fellow planned to confiscate and let bygones be bygones despite finding both guns and a 'rebel' flag. 

But hey, in a land where there is an extremely active terrorist organization with strong grass roots support; what is a fledgling restorer of order to do?
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2012, 11:10:06 AM »
I did see most of the pilot.  When the "militia" came to the village and the kid threatened them with a crossbow and the old man had a rifle or shotgun, they screwed up bigtime.  Snipe the guy in charge (the black guy who was doing all the talking), preferably from behind cover so they don't see where it comes from.  Don't monologue about it first, just shoot.  I was almost yelling at the TV.

Better yet, wait til you get a chance to shoot him in the back while they are out on the road.  (Shoot him in the back??  That's not The Cowboy Way™!)  When you are outnumbered and outgunned, fighting fair is for suckers.  We could learn a thing or three from the Afghans.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2012, 11:39:57 AM »
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Win.  Especially in post-apocolyptic world.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2012, 11:53:46 AM »
one might wonder how many 50 bmg M2s are in Amish Haylofts
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2012, 07:45:06 PM »
There's rumored to be a train in an upcoming episode. And by rumored, I mean there is a preview which explains that the protagonists must stop a steam-engined train in order to save baby brother.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2012, 08:02:31 PM »
"one might wonder how many 50 bmg M2s are in Amish Haylofts"

Very few, actually.

They're in the backs of the buggies.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2012, 08:32:06 AM »
. . . Better yet, wait til you get a chance to shoot him in the back while they are out on the road.  (Shoot him in the back??  That's not The Cowboy Wayâ„¢!)  When you are outnumbered and outgunned, fighting fair is for suckers.  We could learn a thing or three from the Afghans.
I was thinking more along the lines of Mel Gibson's big scene from The Patriot . . . "Aim small, miss small."

There are a lot of movies - and I do mean a LOT of movies - where problems could be solved by following two basic rules: 1) Kill the enemy leader first;  2) Just shut up and shoot.   (Works for both good guys and bad guys.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2012, 01:01:27 AM »
"I'm looking for a biography of Joe Biden."  :rofl:

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2012, 07:28:12 AM »

There are a lot of movies - and I do mean a LOT of movies - where problems could be solved by following two basic rules: 1) Kill the enemy leader first;  2) Just shut up and shoot.   (Works for both good guys and bad guys.)

This.....times eleventy....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »
Hell yeah! Sex in the City would have been over in 20 seconds into the first episode.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2012, 09:50:49 PM »
Civilization wouldn't have fallen as far as depicted.
There are still quite a few of these monsters out there working.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2012, 10:58:34 PM »
Just watched the first episode....now watching the second....I'm not sure I can kill off enough brain cells to actually enjoy this....maybe it will get better once they kill the precocious girl & her buddies off.....

My plan in this situation....find out who the potential warlords are and kill off the first two....the third one will steer clear....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2012, 11:04:34 PM »
My plan in this situation....find out who the potential warlords are and kill off the first two....the third one will steer clear....

A good rule of thumb: Anytime you're confronted by multiple bad guys, shoot the mouthy one first. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2012, 11:09:01 PM »
There's rumored to be a train in an upcoming episode. And by rumored, I mean there is a preview which explains that the protagonists must stop a steam-engined train in order to save baby brother.

Stopping a train is fairly easy if you can get to the railline ahead of it's passage.

Install yourself as the warlord and rule with an iron fist...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2012, 11:10:11 PM »
I'd like to see RevDisks multi-part story made into a TV series.  Its a little more believable.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2012, 11:13:38 PM »
Install yourself as the warlord and rule with an iron fist...

Heck no!.....I might be one of the first two.....