Author Topic: Due to a Lack of Mass Immigration, Japan Is...  (Read 3712 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Due to a Lack of Mass Immigration, Japan Is...
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2015, 01:52:50 PM »

Hmm, why does it have to be "xenophobia?"  Maybe the Japanese just like the Japanese?  And prefer to associate with other Japanese.  Japan for the Japanese, Europe for the Europeans, Africa for the Africans and America for the Americans.

Note (1):

It doesn't have to be xenophobia if you're speaking in generalities, but it doesn't take much researching to discover Japan's xenophobic history.

As for America for Americans, not sure Monroe Doctrine can be applied in the modern world, unless you want to pay $100 for a pair of socks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2015, 02:40:07 PM »
Doesn't matter if I am OK with it.  The opinions of the Japanese are of paramount importance, I would think.  Even then, reality respects nobody's opinion(1).  FTR, acquiescing to being drowned by a foreign culture is also another means of self-immolation.

Note (1):

Gotcha.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2015, 05:27:08 PM »
And in describing Japanese Xenophobia, there's a cart-n-horse issue of determining "situational Xenophobia", vs. what I'd term "willful Xenophobia".

To a degree, it's easy to see that their island status, combined with more widely shared Asian cultural values, the Xenophobia is kind of natural to a point. Not saying it's "good", but it's understandable. You live out generations on an island nation with such a high degree of ethnic homogeneity, and are saddled with a nominal culture that has a high degree of social conformity and propriety, you see how it can happen. And without a ton of "let's be mean and exclusive in the KKK/Nazi sense of things" either.

However, exposed to the wider modern world, you can see where the willful part comes into play. But then the whole thing loops back in on itself, trying to determine what part of it is just being mean and stubborn, vs. what their whole island has lived with.

But I'm biased, and I tend to think about these things in a somewhat amoral utilitarian manner, believing that (classical) liberal Western Civ is what's best. (shrug)
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 10:18:12 AM »
However, exposed to the wider modern world, you can see where the willful part comes into play. But then the whole thing loops back in on itself, trying to determine what part of it is just being mean and stubborn, vs. what their whole island has lived with.

But I'm biased, and I tend to think about these things in a somewhat amoral utilitarian manner, believing that (classical) liberal Western Civ is what's best. (shrug)

What if your exposure to the wider, modern world shows you that the majority in that world are stinking savages incapable of assimilating or maintaining your civilization?  Literally, they stink more than your reference group.  And they act in ways that are not only foreign, but objectively more primitive (relative to your reference group)?

All these accusations of xenophobia and chewing over the causes of it forget a few things and seems an attempt to circumvent any thought on the issue:
1. There are good, objective reasons why a local population would not want to admit immigrants.
2. It is their (i)land and their culture, so piss off.
3. Some people do not believe in the magic of transformational dirt in that moving a benighted peasant who still pisses in the same stream from which they get their drinking water from one spot on Earth to another spot on Earth transforms that peasant into a solid citizen of a representative republic founded on 18th century liberalism.

Liberal Western Civ is my favored civilization, too.  But, it is pretty obvious that:
1. Some groups have the capacity to neither begin nor maintain western civ.
2. Some groups may have what it takes, but do not want to partake.  The lie that "scratch a foreigner_of_some_sort" and you'll find an American underneath has been proved wrong many, many times.
3. Introduce too many non-Anglo, non-NW Europeans into a liberal Western civilization and soon you no longer have liberal Western civ.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2015, 01:45:48 PM »

3. Some people do not believe in the magic of transformational dirt in that moving a benighted peasant who still pisses in the same stream from which they get their drinking water from one spot on Earth to another spot on Earth transforms that peasant into a solid citizen of a representative republic founded on 18th century liberalism.

I'm still pissed off at Oppenheimer, Von Braun, Bethe, and Einstein for pissing in my stream. Damn savages. Not to mention Sandra Bullock.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2015, 03:29:52 PM »
I'm still pissed off at Oppenheimer, Von Braun, Bethe, and Einstein for pissing in my stream. Damn savages. Not to mention Sandra Bullock.
I don't think you are making the point you hoped to make.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2015, 05:12:14 PM »
I don't think you are making the point you hoped to make.

Actually I am. Exactly.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2015, 02:42:09 PM »
Shall we compare and contrast this thread (Japan and it's lack of immigrants) to Europe, and the recent flood of folks trying to get in?

We have had numerous threads regarding the Islamic Republic of Great Britain and how well that's working out for them.

In Germany*, you have 7% of the population causing over 90% of the problems (I worked with the Polizei, they hated the Turks and other "Musselmen" with a passion because they were always causing problems).   See the other thread: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=49390.0
And to quote Tam

...but the recent immigrant welfare sponge class is playing with fire here. Euros have a proven zero-to-jackboots time lower than just about anybody on the planet. Get Gunter or Pierre all backed into a corner and feeling existentially threatened and you'll be wishing you hadn't, faster than you can say "Arbeit Macht Frei".
- http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2013/05/stockholm-is-burning.html

Even out very own Viking has described on these pages what is going in the Liberal/Progressive Paradise/role model of Sweden...
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=39681.0
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=47268.0
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=49302.0

While Japan's population may be decreasing/aging NOW, that doesn't mean it will decrease/age ALWAYS.  Population growth is not a straight line, but it fluctuates over time.   You cannot take a short term trend and project out to forever.

*- It's an entire country that's really farking beyond OCD when it comes to following the rules. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2015, 02:52:45 PM »
Shall we compare and contrast this thread (Japan and it's lack of immigrants) to Europe, and the recent flood of folks trying to get in?

While Japan's population may be decreasing/aging NOW, that doesn't mean it will decrease/age ALWAYS.  Population growth is not a straight line, but it fluctuates over time.   You cannot take a short term trend and project out to forever.

*- It's an entire country that's really farking beyond OCD when it comes to following the rules. 

Which is why you want a policy somewhere between the current free for all in the US and "anyone approaching our wall will be shot on site".