Author Topic: Gun owners are their own worst enemies  (Read 3510 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Gun owners are their own worst enemies
« on: November 14, 2016, 09:12:04 AM »
Trump wants to give us national carry reciprocity (just like a driver's license), and people over on The Firing Line are against it!

See posts 32, 34 and 35.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6378371#post6378371

No wonder the anti-gun people have gotten us into the state we're in. The allegedly pro-gun faction can't even recognize a good thing when it's standing right in front of them. I have to wonder where they get their "information." I've read Trump's position papers on this. IIRC, he specifically uses the term "full faith and credit," and he uses the "just like a driver's license" comparison. Where do these people come up with this crap about federal standards and "national carry permit"? Has Trump ever mentioned either of those things?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Gun owners are their own worst enemies
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 09:50:03 AM »
I can see how the state's rights people might get their dander up at first blush, but if things work out the way you indicate, I don't see a problem.

It would be amusing to hear the rending of garments if full faith and credit applied nationwide, then more states went permitless.  =D
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 10:34:38 AM »
It reminds me of Californians who are against cannabis legalization, because they don't like the terms of the legalization. I see their point, but I think the slippery slope can work in our favor with concealed carry. The story of concealed carry is basically a case study in incremental political progress.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 10:41:54 AM »
I really don't want National Carry Reciprocity. I would welcome National Concealed Carry Recognition with open arms. ;)

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 10:43:05 AM »
Is that sort of like people who won't accept permitted open carry because they shouldn't need a permit?  One step at a time.

The argument I heard over the weekend that I thought was a valid was concern about letting the federal govt stick their nose in the tent.  As long as it is just full faith and credit, it should be okay.  If it turns into federal approval of permit requirements or a federal permit, I don't think I would like that.  Even bad language in a law that just does full faith and credit could be screwed with by a bad judge.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 10:49:07 AM »
Hawkmoon, were you unaware that a lot of gun rights supporters don't want the feds messing with our concealed carry permits? This has been an ongoing debate.

I thought this was going to be about Zimmerman being all drunk and racist (allegedly) at that bar.  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 10:57:08 AM »
I really don't want National Carry Reciprocity. I would welcome National Concealed Carry Recognition with open arms. ;)

I agree, in principle. I am firmly of the opinion that any carry permit or license requirement is an unconstitutional infringement on the "guaranteed" right to keep and bear arms. But, we are where we are, and the longest journey starts with a single step. I would be happier to need only my own, home state permit rather than the four I now have and the two or three more I need to get if I'm to travel risk-free to some of the places I'd like to visit.

Whether we go national reciprocity or full constitutional carry, there need to be some other things cleaned up:
  • The gun-free school zone law would have to be revised to exempt anyone with a license or permit from any state, not just the state in which the school zone is located
  • The law prohibiting carry in "federal facilities" should be rescinded
  • the law prohibiting carry in post offices should be rescinded, or at least revised to cover only inside the building, not the parking lot
  • Ditto the post office for VA hospitals. If I can't carry inside the building, I should at least be allowed to leave my gun in the car on the grounds
  • Carry in national parks, national monuments, national forests, and BLM lands should be legal for anyone who is not a prohibited person
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 08:54:15 PM by Hawkmoon »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 10:58:59 AM »
Hawkmoon, were you unaware that a lot of gun rights supporters don't want the feds messing with our concealed carry permits? This has been an ongoing debate.

I am certainly aware that this has been an ongoing debate, and the naysayers who are going to screw this up for the rest of us piss me off greatly. If we can't get a decent full reciprocity law under President Trump with a Republican House and a Republican Senate, we don't deserve to even have the Second Amendment.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 11:12:40 AM »
Trump wants to give us national carry reciprocity (just like a driver's license), and people over on The Firing Line are against it!

See posts 32, 34 and 35.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6378371#post6378371

No wonder the anti-gun people have gotten us into the state we're in. The allegedly pro-gun faction can't even recognize a good thing when it's standing right in front of them. I have to wonder where they get their "information." I've read Trump's position papers on this. IIRC, he specifically uses the term "full faith and credit," and he uses the "just like a driver's license" comparison. Where do these people come up with this crap about federal standards and "national carry permit"? Has Trump ever mentioned either of those things?

Actually, some very logical issues/concerns being raised by those three posters. Sure, we know what Trump says he wants to do...

But he's only the president-elect. And even after he gets to be president, he can't go it alone. Well, he can try, but I don't think it would survive legal challenges.

The people who would have to implement this thing come from 50 independent states with HUGELY varying agendas.

You REALLY think Mr. Trump is going to wave his magic hair piece and the reps/Sens from California, New York, Massachusetts, etc., are going to go "MY GOD! That's a great idea! Let's just recognize it!"

No. IF it ever happens, it's going to have a hugely convoluted set of Federal rules and regs, and very likely a shitpot lot more local regs in anti-gun states, behind it.

And, were I a betting man, I'd bet that one of those reps/senators would add the legislative issue of death to any such proposal -- sure, we'll agree to CCW reciprocity, you just have to agree to complete registration; handguns AND long guns.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 11:56:57 AM »
Maybe, just maybe he can pull a rabbit out of his hat via EO.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 03:25:58 PM »
Full faith & credit would be completely agreeable to me. If the feds wanted a "National License" or something like a commercial drivers license with all the additional hoops to jump through & added costs & inconveniences, I'd want no part.

Yes Arizona went from Open carry only to permit concealed to permitless w/ an optional permit for added convenience & out of state recognition but I don't see the feds going from more to less stringent.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 03:34:30 PM »
The spread of concealed carry has been a big victory for gun rights over the last 20 years or so.  My only concern is that we don't undermine that progress with bad legislation.  I am conditioned to have to this concern by the performance of past Republican majorities.  It should be a simple thing, but I am afraid it won't be by the time Congress gets something passed. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 04:17:48 PM »
Maybe, just maybe he can pull a rabbit out of his hat via EO.

"With regard to the carry of weapons, the Full Faith and Credit Clause shall apply to the 50 separate states and all Commonwealths and Territories of the United States." 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 05:32:27 PM »
The last few bills about this have only been about recognition of licenses bay all states. We almost had it about 8 years ago or so, but it failed by one or two votes in the Senate. Arlen Specter was one of them.

The concern has always been that if the Fed.gov issues permits they would come with all kinds or restrictions we don't want. If the bill is just recognition like the past few have been then there is no reason for any gun owner to be against it.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 05:34:26 PM »
I am not convinced that a nationwide CCW law is prudent.  I am against it at this time.  Let the various States handle it.  Works just fine, for the most part. 
What I WOULD like to see the Feds do, is to decide, once and for all, that 'shall not be infringed', means just that.  There is far too much in the way of regulation already.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 06:13:15 PM »
I am not convinced that a nationwide CCW law is prudent.  I am against it at this time.  Let the various States handle it.  Works just fine, for the most part. 
What I WOULD like to see the Feds do, is to decide, once and for all, that 'shall not be infringed', means just that.  There is far too much in the way of regulation already.

I'm sorry, but that is the definition of shooting yourself in the foot in the scope of the proposed legislation. There is not currently nor have the last few bills involved the federal government doing anything except saying to the sates that they have to recognize each other's licenses or permits the same as drivers licenses. How can you not support that?

Now the next step should be to force the states to organically recognize the carry part of the second amendment, but these things don't happen overnight and that second goal would probably happen on its own. Citizens of NJ are going to start getting pretty pissed when everyone except them can carry in their state for example.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 06:16:54 PM »
I'm all for full faith and credit recognition of permits being required.
I don't for one minute expect states like NJ or California to comply even if it is federal law.

I am firmly against the concept of a federal CCW permit.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 07:52:09 PM »
Reciprocity, just like gay marriage.  If you have a marriage license from any of the 57 states, then you a considered to be married in all of them.  Resident or not.

That's something that probably could be done by EO. (Thanks Barak !!!!) 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 08:00:12 PM »
Funny this, I remember long rants here about how federal anything reforming gun laws was a terrible idea....including from you Hawkmoon
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 08:07:06 PM »
What most of us are supporting isn't so much a reform of laws but a requirement for other states to accept CCW permits that same as drivers licenses and marriage licenses.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 08:59:26 PM »
Funny this, I remember long rants here about how federal anything reforming gun laws was a terrible idea....including from you Hawkmoon

I have always been opposed to the notion of the feral government getting into the carry permit business. I don't believe I have ever expressed opposition to the feral government forcing the states to apply the full faith and credit provision of the Constitution to state- or county-issued carry licenses or permits.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 12:24:30 AM »
I have always been opposed to the notion of the feral government getting into the carry permit business. I don't believe I have ever expressed opposition to the feral government forcing the states to apply the full faith and credit provision of the Constitution to state- or county-issued carry licenses or permits.

So a federal law to replace existing state laws is what you want?  Interesting idea - has anyone else floated that on this forum?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 08:13:23 AM »
So a federal law to replace existing state laws is what you want?  Interesting idea - has anyone else floated that on this forum?

No, not to replace existing state law. Each state would retain its laws pertaining to the issuance of carry licenses or permits. The federal law would do nothing other than to enforce the full faith and credit provision that has been in the Constitution for over 200 years. The feds already did this with the LEOSA.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2016, 08:17:21 AM »
I'm all for full faith and credit recognition of permits being required.
I don't for one minute expect states like NJ or California to comply even if it is federal law.

I am firmly against the concept of a federal CCW permit.

The way you make a state comply is via money.  You either will comply or you won't get money from us.

It worked when the feds stuffed the drinking age to 21 down the states throats.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2016, 08:22:02 AM »
A victory is a victory. If the terms aren't 100% how you'd like, it's still a damned victory.

Get the victory and work on expanding it from there. The folks who want it all in one shot will never get anything.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.