Author Topic: "Sickening Gun Scenes" Cut from Avatar 2  (Read 540 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"Sickening Gun Scenes" Cut from Avatar 2
« on: December 27, 2022, 05:29:02 PM »
Apparently James "testosterone is poison" Cameron cut ten minutes of gun scenes from Avatar 2 because they made him "sick to his stomach".

I guess on the one hand, since I always complain about Hollywood featuring lots of guns in movies while calling for gun bans, maybe he put his money where his mouth is.

On the other hand, having not seen, and having no intention to see the movie, is he really taking a stand? Are there still other gun scenes? How about bows and arrows or whatever weapons the blue people use? Any bashing in of heads, throwing people off cliffs, or blowing people up?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/james-cameron-cut-10-minutes-153228175.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: "Sickening Gun Scenes" Cut from Avatar 2
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 05:39:37 PM »
The movie is over 3 hours.  I am pretty sure he didn't cut all the gun scenes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 05:52:23 PM »
From what I hear Avatar 2 is doing very well at the box office, but reviewers are more enthralled with the CGI effects, not the story. This smells to me like despite the big gross receipts so far they're worried about the movie's staying power and decided to virtue-signal in an effort to attract more paying wokester customers.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 06:41:45 PM »
At least he is cutting the guns before people see them. Spielberg cut the guns from E.T. during a re-release and was raked over the coals IIRC, not because he took the guns out but because he screwed around with people's memories of the movie. He put them back in for the Blu-Ray release.

https://www.goliath.com/movies/steven-spielberg-regrets-replacing-guns-with-walkie-talkies-in-e-t/

bob

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 07:43:55 PM »
I guess I should wait till I see it, but I do remember the original had not only icky guns, but actual weapons of war.  And both sides used those weapons to kill each other.  Maybe I'm missing his point, which is probably that handheld guns are bad.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 08:15:28 PM »
Seems super peaceful.  I for one am glad he sanitized it.  I'd hate to watch a movie that glorified violence and shooting people. Spears seem so much more peaceful*.

https://youtu.be/w7nxOFAgyS0

*Indigenous spears, as you all know, aren't military grade and so they rust.  I hope the Navi learn from the Reavers and run the spears through the Wash to clean them before corrosion sets in.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2022, 09:37:05 PM »
Seems super peaceful.  I for one am glad he sanitized it.  I'd hate to watch a movie that glorified violence and shooting people. Spears seem so much more peaceful*.

https://youtu.be/w7nxOFAgyS0

*Indigenous spears, as you all know, aren't military grade and so they rust.  I hope the Navi learn from the Reavers and run the spears through the Wash to clean them before corrosion sets in.
So it is just a cartoon done pretty well.  Maybe it looks better on the big screen. 

On the other hand, I got a 4K copy of Top Gun:Maverick and watched it yesterday.  Still a good movie second time through. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2022, 09:40:22 PM »

Eh, it's a bit of a reach, but I respect the effort.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

JN01

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 12:38:55 PM »
You would think that if those scenes were so horrible, he would have cut them from the script before spending a chunk of money to film them.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2022, 12:49:20 PM »
Imagine how much more money the fully restored, uncut,  "directors cut" will bring.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2022, 01:47:22 PM »
Imagine how much more money the fully restored, uncut,  "directors cut" will bring.

Everyone will be running around with flashlights and Walkie-Talkies
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2022, 02:02:19 PM »
That will be 4 hours long.  I would rather just rewatch the Lord of the Rings extended 4K edition.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 09:58:36 AM »
General consensus on the internet is that if he wanted to improve the movie he should have cut at least 30 minutes to an hour from it. It just drags on too long.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes