Author Topic: Hawaii >>>> an invite from 6,000 soldiers  (Read 2961 times)

wacki

• friend
Hawaii >>>> an invite from 6,000 soldiers
« on: August 12, 2008, 01:26:56 PM »
Last month, Obama refused to do a military townhall for 6,000 veterans, service members, and military families at Fort Hood, Texas. That event would have taken place tonight, but Obama spokesman, Phillip Carter, said at the time Obama couldn't make it because we unfortunately had a previously scheduled commitment on the date proposed. But Obama doesn't have another event scheduled for this evening -- he's busy bodyboarding in Hawaii.

Found this via:
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/30915_Obama_Snubs_US_Soldiers_Again

Quoting this:
http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2008/08/democrats_call_their_conventio.asp

NYT's on Fort Hood's statement a month ago:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/12/us/politics/12obama.html

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Hawaii >>>> an invite from 6,000 soldiers
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 03:28:22 PM »
What a (non-APS friendly words)!!  angry
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 05:20:19 PM »
Does anybody know how to find out what's on his campaign schedule for Hawaii?  Is there something more important there, than at Fort Hood?

I also note this bit from the NY Times.

Carissa Picard, managing director of the Fort Hood Presidential Town Hall Consortium, said she had suggested Aug. 11 and asked the campaign to suggest other dates if that was not convenient, but after several conversations she had not been able to work anything out.

Im having extreme difficulty getting the Obama campaign to commit to this event, and we do not understand why, said Ms. Picard, whose husband is deployed in Iraq. We made it very clear to them that if they would commit to the event, we would work with them on dates.

The organizers released details about the event in hopes that it would pressure the Obama campaign to agree to the event.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 06:32:40 PM »
Im having extreme difficulty getting the Obama campaign to commit to this event, and we do not understand why, said Ms. Picard, whose husband is deployed in Iraq.

What part of he despises you don't you understand, Mrs. Picard?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 04:44:11 AM »
Not that I'm a fan of Obama (not in the least), but if he had a family vacation planned (which is what this trip to Hawaii apparently is), are we being a little bit harsh on him for not cancelling the vacation for a campaigning event?

Frankly, this may be the first thing I respect in Obama, in that he actually went on vacation with his family, and isn't using it as a campaign stop in Hawai'i.  I respect people who are willing to set work aside and actually spend time with their children.

That may be all I'll ever respect in Obama, though..........

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 05:02:15 AM »
Pragmatism: Is he truly going to get any votes out of Ft. Hood?  No?

Why go?
Zeke

agricola

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 05:05:15 AM »
Not that I'm a fan of Obama (not in the least), but if he had a family vacation planned (which is what this trip to Hawaii apparently is), are we being a little bit harsh on him for not cancelling the vacation for a campaigning event?

Frankly, this may be the first thing I respect in Obama, in that he actually went on vacation with his family, and isn't using it as a campaign stop in Hawai'i.  I respect people who are willing to set work aside and actually spend time with their children.

That may be all I'll ever respect in Obama, though..........

I think that would be reasonable, except that his staff apparently told something else entirely to the Fort Hood people when asked. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 05:59:56 AM »
He is also continuing his vacation all the while Russia is rolling around in Georgia, whereas McCain issued a strong warning to Russia.

A preview of what his presidency would be like.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 06:45:03 AM »
He is also continuing his vacation all the while Russia is rolling around in Georgia, whereas McCain issued a strong warning to Russia.

A preview of what his presidency would be like.

Par for the course with the Dems.  Remember after Katrina, Ray Nagin took off on a week long cruise.  Actually was one of the better weeks we had while down there trying to unf%$k what he didn't do.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 12:46:18 PM »
Pragmatism: Is he truly going to get any votes out of Ft. Hood?  No?

Why go?

This isn't like Bush declining to go to the NAACP - far from it actually.  He was invited to a town hall at our largest military base.  He wants to be their commander, when some of them are in the sand-box next year.   If he had any character at all, he would go. 

Wait.  They're always telling me that the soldiers are being butchered for an illegal, unjust, un-win-able war in Iraq.  Why wouldn't they vote for the Democrat?

I think that would be reasonable, except that his staff apparently told something else entirely to the Fort Hood people when asked. 

And why wouldn't his people suggest an alternate date, when the organizers said they would be flexible? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife