Author Topic: Barbara Walters: Palin is not a reformer cuz "She sold the airplane at a loss"  (Read 8902 times)

wacki

• friend
Fast forward the video to -1:10 to see Barbara Walters make the argument that Palin is not a reformer because she didn't recoup the full purchase price of 21+ year old airplane.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/to-the-ladies-o.html

Some info on the plane as well as a link to other reporters making the same slam:
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/warner-todd-huston/2008/09/10/philly-inquirers-new-palin-slam-she-sold-her-states-plane-so-wha

I know things are different in the airplane biz but how many of you can buy a brand new car today and sell it for a profit after using it for 21+ years?  Pro Palin/McCain blogs and news sites really need to hammer down on the ridiculousness of Barbara Walter's slam on Palin.  This election is proof that reality is stranger than fiction.

dogmush

• friend
As I recall, she sold it at auction on E-bay.  That would seem to be close to the definition of "price the market will bear"  I'm not sure how much of a market there is for used executive jets anyway.

wacki

• friend
The newsbusters link I posted claims she sold an aircraft that was bought for 2.7 million for 2.1 million.

Even if she sold it for a dollar it still says a lot about Palin's character.  Even if she sold it for a dollar Alaska saves a ton in maintenance, hangers, pilots, hotels for pilots, etc.....

agricola

• friend
As I recall, she sold it at auction on E-bay.  That would seem to be close to the definition of "price the market will bear"  I'm not sure how much of a market there is for used executive jets anyway.

She didnt sell it on eBay, but she did list it on there and it didnt sell, so it was privately sold.  This terrible fiction - combined with her frequent lies on the Bridge to Nowhere, where she claimed that she was the one who killed the project off based solely on her actually killing the project off - make her totally unfit to be President.  Or Vice President, I forget what it is she is actually running for. 

I did once support her, but once the Democrats pointed out that she had, not once but several times, committed the political ultimate sin of changing her mind on an issue I am now solidly in favour of the Obama (who only changed his mind on campaign funding, drilling, porcine makeup, his pastor of twenty years, NASA, FISA, Iran, Iraq, the Heller case, Guantanamo Bay and some other stuff) and Biden (who changed his mind on whether Obama was totally unqualified to be President) ticket.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

dogmush

• friend
My bad.  I knew there was Ebay in there somewhere.

Wait!!! I've got the answer!!!!!

We'll just compare the caniditates E-bay trader ratings.  Obama+Biden and McCain+Palin.  Whichever ticket has the higher rating is fit to lead America!!!

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
Well, that's a losing bargain for McCain since I was informed yesterday in an Obama ad that McCain doesn't know how to use a computer.  Clearly he is unfit for command if he can't even forward hilarious chain e-mails!
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

The Annoyed Man

shoot bob dole needed someone to cut up his food.  course some folks take a look as to why/how both guys got their infirmities

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
I'd say that selling an old bizjet for 2.1 mil that was purchased for 2.7 mil is a damn fine deal.

I know things are different in the airplane biz but how many of you can buy a brand new car today and sell it for a profit after using it for 21+ years?

Depends a lot on the airplane. Some which are not produced anymore, i.e., a Stearman, a DeHaviland Beaver, a B-17, etc, are very expensive.

After WWII, you could have bought a Stearman for like $20. Now, expect to pay over 100K for one. DeHaviland Beaver? 400-500K.

But a more recent executive jet? Will hold its value decently well (except for the standard depreciation). So I say that an old bizjet selling for 2.1mil in todays money is selling it for higher than the 2.7 mil paid for it way back when it was purchased. Plus the money saved from maintence, fuel, and crew is lots o' $$$$. Jets ain't cheap to keep in any case.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
They are throwing everything including the kitchen sink and McCain/Palin is still ahead. lol
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

longeyes

• friend
Barbara Walters is above her pay grade and has been for years.

My concern is that the whole country is for sale on E-Bay.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Intune

• The Shakes
Do you have an item # for that auction?  I happen to have a bit of disposable income and a fervent desire to purchase another country. 

Thanks for the heads up!

Sincerely,
Hu Jintao

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Apparently, Babs doesn't understand the concept of depreciation.....like the viewpoints of an old, broke-down, liberal reporter aren't worth as much as they were when she was boffing congressmen in the '70's.....  rolleyes
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Hilarious posts, you guys.   laugh
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages

She didnt sell it on eBay, but she did list it on there and it didnt sell, so it was privately sold.  This terrible fiction - combined with her frequent lies on the Bridge to Nowhere, where she claimed that she was the one who killed the project off based solely on her actually killing the project off - make her totally unfit to be President.  Or Vice President, I forget what it is she is actually running for. 

I did once support her, but once the Democrats pointed out that she had, not once but several times, committed the political ultimate sin of changing her mind on an issue I am now solidly in favour of the Obama (who only changed his mind on campaign funding, drilling, porcine makeup, his pastor of twenty years, NASA, FISA, Iran, Iraq, the Heller case, Guantanamo Bay and some other stuff) and Biden (who changed his mind on whether Obama was totally unqualified to be President) ticket.

Because none of the rest of them lie?
 rolleyes
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

drewtam

• friend
Jamis, I think your sarcasm radar is broken. You should know better than to buy them at walmart.

Wasn't 20/20 shown to be a fraud a decade ago? I remember it was proved that they intentionally igniting cars during crash testing to do a special hack job on GM car's accident safety.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Do you have an item # for that auction?  I happen to have a bit of disposable income and a fervent desire to purchase another country. 

Thanks for the heads up!

Sincerely,
Hu Jintao

Where will you keep it?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Sergeant Bob

• friend

Thanks for the heads up!

Sincerely,
Hu Jintao

Where will you keep it?

Probably Sub-Saharan Africa, where he keeps all his others. shocked grin angel
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Sergeant Bob

• friend

Because none of the rest of them lie?
 rolleyes
Jamis, I think your sarcasm radar is broken. You should know better than to buy them at walmart.

Wasn't 20/20 shown to be a fraud a decade ago? I remember it was proved that they intentionally igniting cars during crash testing to do a special hack job on GM car's accident safety.

There ya go Jamis. Ya can't b!tch about the price. grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

wacki

• friend
Just for clarification:

*Reform (in McCain's context) = making changes based upon morality and principles even when it is not in your best interest.  It is good vs. evil, right vs. wrong, etc
*Business acumen = "a concept pertaining to a person's knowledge and ability to make profitable business decisions"
*Miracle worker = someone that can sell used goods for the same price as if they are new.

There are clear differences between the these.  Barbara Walters appears unable to distinguish between them when Palin is involved.  I know I'm stating the obvious but it seems that all of all the discussion in news print revolves around specifics and not enough people are discussing the big picture of this situation.  The big picture is that Palin made a very unselfish move that very few other politicians would make.  She clearly satisfies the reform definition while Barbara Walters is asking for nothing less than miracles.  Just making sure this thread doesn't go too far off track....

longeyes

• friend
American economy 2008: Upper class, middle class, underclass, E-Bay class, swap meet class.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

wquay

The plane became a big deal because McCain told a cheering audience that she sold it on eBay, for a profit.

Which was misinformation at best and a lie at worst.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
It would be a bigger deal if she had said that herself, or if they had persisted in the statement instead of correcting themselves.

At best it was a slip of of the tongue, not misinformation, like most people make at times.

When benefit of the doubt slips are repeated, that's when it is more reasonable to accuse of misinformation.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

wquay

McCain's remark consisted of two statements of fact, which is more than a slip of the tongue IMO.

Which suggests to me that either he made up the "for a profit" part on the spot, or was seriously misinformed by someone.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
McCain's remark consisted of two statements of fact, which is more than a slip of the tongue IMO.

Which suggests to me that either he made up the "for a profit" part on the spot, or was seriously misinformed by someone.

That is a reasonable position.

I can see the "put it up for sale on eBay" easily morphing into "sold it on eBay".  The "and made a profit" I can see as speechifying.

I guess, in general, I'm willing to give both candidates the benefit of the doubt for one-off comments, especially on non-prepared remarks or when they are ad-libbing.  I get more annoyed at both sides when they persist in using talking points that have been reasonably disputed in detail or nuance.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.

If you calculate depreciation on a 10-y.o. jet, it does come out to a profit.....she should have only gotten 1/2 to 1/3 of it's initial value....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.