Author Topic: CBS: 'Obama is a friend of gun owners, McCain is the gun grabber'  (Read 2466 times)

wacki

• friend
CBS: 'Obama is a friend of gun owners, McCain is the gun grabber'
« on: September 24, 2008, 03:19:11 PM »
This CBS article is unreal:

According to Democratic political consultant Dave "Mudcat" Saunders, a former John Edwards advisor who is known for pushing Democrats to take rural voters' concerns more seriously, it is McCain, not Obama, whom gun owners should fear. Saunders argues that while Obama has essentially vowed to leave the gun owners alone, McCain has stood by his position on gun shows.

"One of Obama's young volunteers called me up and asked me what he could do to help," Saunders, who casts himself as more pro-gun than the NRA, told CBSNews.com. "I told him to go down to the Hillsville (Virginia) gun show with some fliers with [McCain's] picture on them that said, 'if you elect this guy John McCain president, don't plan on coming back next year.'"

McCain told Field And Stream that his position in favor of closing the gun show loophole is the issue most likely to cause friction between himself and sportsmen.

"I think that gun shows are marvelous, and we now have the capability for instant background checks," he said.

Dennis Fusaro, a Republican and pro-gun activist in Virginia who served for a time as Ron Paul's national field director, said he would not be voting for either Obama or McCain. A lifetime member of the NRA, Fusaro was director of state legislation for the Gun Owners of America, a hardcore gun-rights group that describes itself as "no compromise."

I know this will make the McCain haters here angry but I mildly support background checks at gun shows. And that is if and only if there was a way to ensure all records were instantly destroyed to prevent gun grabbers from looking you up later.  I plan on buying several AR platforms this year and there isn't a whole lot of difference between my views on gun control and McCain's which is listed here:

http://sportsmen.johnmccain.com/Sportsmen.htm

I strongly disagree with him on McCain Feingold though...... but that's an indirect blow to the 2A.

Obama is the most anti-gun person in history:

http://nraila.org/obama/

So for anyone to claim McCain is the real danger is a joke.  Who signed the amicus brief dingbat!??!?  Who supports the pro-2A justices and who supports the anti-2A justices?

I fear this is proof that we are screwed.

Source:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/23/politics/main4472798.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_4472798
NRA Begins Push To Tarnish Obama On Guns
CBSNews.com Reports: As Pro-Gun Group Tries To Make Gun Control Into Wedge Issue, Some Gun Advocates Remain Wary Of McCain
Sept. 23, 2008

wacki

• friend
Re: CBS: 'Obama is a friend of gun owners, McCain is the gun grabber'
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 03:23:01 PM »
Oh ya, I love it how obama stole my idea to campaign at gun shows:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=388670

Brilliant!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 03:24:57 PM »
Good God.

Well, I've always known there are plenty of FUDDs and other "gunowners" who love Obama.

We are screwed...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 03:33:47 PM »
There is a distinct danger of McCain, but Obama is far worse.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 05:00:50 PM »
According to Democratic political consultant Dave "Mudcat" Saunders...

That's where I stopped reading. Life is too short to waste time on lies.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

lacoochee

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 06:07:44 PM »
I know this will make the McCain haters here angry but I mildly support background checks at gun shows. And that is if and only if there was a way to ensure all records were instantly destroyed to prevent gun grabbers from looking you up later.  I plan on buying several AR platforms this year and there isn't a whole lot of difference between my views on gun control and McCain's which is listed here:

Seriously, where do people get this stuff?  If you buy from a gun dealer at a gun show (FFL) you have to do a background check just like anywhere else.  If you buy from a private seller like Grandpa, no background check is required it is the same as buying it over the kitchen table.
Deo Vindice

* "[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
---James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46.

wacki

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 06:17:48 PM »

Seriously, where do people get this stuff?  If you buy from a gun dealer at a gun show (FFL) you have to do a background check just like anywhere else.  If you buy from a private seller like Grandpa, no background check is required it is the same as buying it over the kitchen table.

Some gun shows allow you to sell directly to me on the floor.  Neither one of us are dealers....  Yes I know it's twisted all to hell by the press.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 04:33:33 PM »
McCain has yet to be cornered on his sponsorship of McCain Lieberman legislation which was to close the so-called gunshow loophole.  Problem is it was something Hitler and Stalin would have been quite happy to sponsor.  In essence the legislation would turn gunshow management into a surrogate internal security apparatus mandating severe penalties for minor failures to abide by bureaucratic procedures.  I want him to justify the legislation and see if he will repudiate his support.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 05:45:03 PM »

Some gun shows allow you to sell directly to me on the floor.  Neither one of us are dealers....  Yes I know it's twisted all to hell by the press.
What gun shows don't allow that?  None down here anyway.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

ArmedBear

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 06:30:02 PM »
Obama has essentially vowed...

Oh, now THAT makes me feel SO much better.