Author Topic: Why is "Voted NO on more penalties for gun & drug violations" a gun issue?  (Read 3505 times)

wacki

• friend
Seems like every anti-gunner votes this way or is at least listed as voting that way here:

http://www.ontheissues.org/senate/joe_biden.htm#Gun_Control

Anyone care to provide some insight?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Why is "Voted NO on more penalties for gun & drug violations" a gun issue?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 06:33:27 PM »
Protectionism for inner city trash.

"It's not personal accountability... the guns MADE him do it!"
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 07:44:27 PM »
I would have to agree.  Generally, these are the guys who want to do away with real penalties for drug crimes and such, and instead attempt to rehabilitate through therapy, probation, etc.  As for gun violations... why bother prosecute the responsible individual when you can blame an entire industry?  It's just more of the same slide away from personal responsibility.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 08:01:38 PM »
Soft on criminals, as most Democrats are.

Hell, in Mass, an otherwise law-abiding citizen who gets caught with a gun in a case in their trunk gets a mandatory one-year sentence. A "disadvantaged youth" who actually uses a stolen gun in a drive-by gets right back out on the street if they miss, juvie hall if they hit someone.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 01:19:47 AM »
I support weaker penalties for gun and drug violations - but I don't think that's what they mean by it.

Essentially, the conservative approach for crime control is to PUNISH the criminal HARD.

The leftist approach is to be kind and merciful with the cirminal, but introduce slight limitations on EVERYBODY'S freedom - gun control is only one example.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wacki

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 03:12:14 AM »
Soft on criminals, as most Democrats are.

Hell, in Mass, an otherwise law-abiding citizen who gets caught with a gun in a case in their trunk gets a mandatory one-year sentence. A "disadvantaged youth" who actually uses a stolen gun in a drive-by gets right back out on the street if they miss, juvie hall if they hit someone.

Have any proof?  There are some bold accusations in this thread and I would have no idea how to go about convincing an open mind what is being said in this thread is true.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 03:22:38 AM »
Essentially, the conservative approach for crime control is to PUNISH the criminal HARD.

I think that for most crimes conservatives will easily settle for punishment/rehabilitation that results in the criminal 'not doing it again' excepting some of the nastier physical crimes - Murder, rape, and such.

The leftist approach is to be kind and merciful with the cirminal, but introduce slight limitations on EVERYBODY'S freedom - gun control is only one example.

Depends on your definition of 'slight'.  Looking over at Europe, those limitations aren't exactly slight anymore.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 03:39:59 AM »
I think that for most crimes conservatives will easily settle for punishment/rehabilitation that results in the criminal 'not doing it again' excepting some of the nastier physical crimes - Murder, rape, and such.

I don't speak for conservatism in general, but I think the general vibe is that robbery, burglary ,etc. are to be treated as serious crimes, and the criminal is to be imprisoned for an extended period of time, both for deterrence and to isolate him from society.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 09:09:27 AM »
I don't speak for conservatism in general, but I think the general vibe is that robbery, burglary ,etc. are to be treated as serious crimes, and the criminal is to be imprisoned for an extended period of time, both for deterrence and to isolate him from society.

Because that's viewed as the best way to stop them from doing it again - Conservatives are very aware that the 'first offender' is a relatively rare thing.  Most crimes are commited by serial offenders.

If we could figure out a way to stop that, while keeping enough deterence in the process that most people don't even commit the first crime, I figure conservatives would be all over it.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 09:12:11 AM »
Because if you get people on the Left to be REALLY honest they will tell you that all gun-owners are scary, untrustworthy, and potentially criminal.  ALL gun-owners.  They see us as another, alien species.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

wacki

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 05:19:51 PM »
Conservatives are very aware that the 'first offender' is a relatively rare thing.  Most crimes are commited by serial offenders.

Have you ever been to a major university?  Heard of "experimental years" or "party days"? 

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 05:48:05 PM »
Have you ever been to a major university?  Heard of "experimental years" or "party days"? 

That applies mostly to drugs, alcohol abuse, and general mischief, not theft, violent crimes(beyond fist-fighting) or sex crimes.  Most people figure out that beer and weed aren't cool anymore(for the record, I've never bothered with drugs and VERY rarely drink), and they grow up and move on.  Most of those figure it out without generating a criminal record.

The kind of person who will steal from another, or make the choice to hurt or kill an innocent for his own gain, is not "experimenting".  At least, not in the way that most of us did while trying to figure ourselves out.

wacki

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 07:28:12 PM »

That applies mostly to drugs, alcohol abuse, and general mischief, not theft, violent crimes(beyond fist-fighting) or sex crimes.  Most people figure out that beer and weed aren't cool anymore(for the record, I've never bothered with drugs and VERY rarely drink), and they grow up and move on.  Most of those figure it out without generating a criminal record.

The kind of person who will steal from another, or make the choice to hurt or kill an innocent for his own gain, is not "experimenting".  At least, not in the way that most of us did while trying to figure ourselves out.

The description relates to drugs.  A non violent 'crime'.  If you have ever visited IU during little 500 week you will realize that hundreds of students get arrested during that party week.  There are lots of people out there with a criminal record.  More so than you might think.