Author Topic: 3 myths of Capitalism... video from Harvard's Dean of Economics  (Read 1705 times)

wacki

• friend
3 myths of Capitalism... video from Harvard's Dean of Economics
« on: September 06, 2011, 12:05:28 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGPa5Ob-5Ps&feature=player_embedded

I'm working on an MBA right now (and have read 25 econ books outside of school) and all I can say is I can't agree with this video strongly enough.  Regardless of how the mainstream news depicts the ivory tower there are  lot of big whigs in the field of economics that agree 100% with the above.   A lot of them will also say the federal government cause the great depression.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: 3 myths of Capitalism... video from Harvard's Dean of Economics
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 01:11:14 AM »
The comments underneath are infuriating.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 07:37:46 AM »
The comments underneath are infuriating.

But this one's infuriatingly true:

People constantly complain about lack of regulation without realizing how tremendously regulated the whole financial market already is and how many unintended consequences such an incredibly complex framework of regulations ensures, and of how most of it ensures the big players benefit.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 07:42:58 AM »
But this one's infuriatingly true:

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 11:48:14 AM »
QuotePeople constantly complain about lack of regulation without realizing how tremendously regulated the whole financial market already is and how many unintended consequences such an incredibly complex framework of regulations ensures,
Quite a number of years ago there was a trial involving alleged violation of some arcane securities rules.

Basically, the jurors couldn't figure out what was allegedly done or what the law actually said. The judge, asked for clarification, simply quoted the law to the jurors; the verbiage was couched in legalese so dense it might as well have been written in !Kung.

So, being unable to figure out what the government's case actually was. the jurors acquitted on all counts.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

erictank

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 11:53:40 AM »
Quite a number of years ago there was a trial involving alleged violation of some arcane securities rules.

Basically, the jurors couldn't figure out what was allegedly done or what the law actually said. The judge, asked for clarification, simply quoted the law to the jurors; the verbiage was couched in legalese so dense it might as well have been written in !Kung.

So, being unable to figure out what the government's case actually was. the jurors acquitted on all counts.

... as is only proper.