Author Topic: Leatherman/multitool pocket carry in NYC legal?  (Read 8293 times)

Snowdog

• friend
Leatherman/multitool pocket carry in NYC legal?
« on: April 11, 2011, 01:01:46 PM »
My wife is dragging me to NYC and though I understand my NC CCW license means nothing there, I would like to know what I can carry.

I'm going to presume I can't carry my usual pocket knife (Benchmade 910 D2 Stryker, 3.7" non-assisted blade) but wonder if my Leatherman Wave carried in the pocket is permissible.

The Wave has two 2.9" linerlock blades, one plane blade and the other a serrated blade.   I know just this alone would cause great spasms of fear by some politicians, but is it legal to carry?

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:05:12 PM by Snowdog »

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Leatherman/multitool pocket carry in NYC legal?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 02:33:17 PM »
I know nothing of NYC laws, but this would seem to me to be the perfect time for a god Swiss Army Knife, especially one of the lock-blade versions.  I have a Victorinox Adventurer (http://www.victorinox.com/product/1/100/1004/1107/0.8953) that would be perfect for questionable carry situations, provided it doesn't violate a blade length rule.  I used to carry mine on the plane before 9/11 changed all of the rules. People saw it as a pocket knife, not a weapon.  Add a good flashlight, and your sense of awareness, and you should be fine.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 04:10:42 PM »
I believe the law to be; that a folding blade under 4' is legal to pocket carry but NYC's DA is trying to make folding blades that can be flicked open with one hand (i.e. Almost all of them) a "switchblade" which is illegal. So carry as your own discretion and try not to pique the attention of any cops if you are carrying.

I'm not a lawyer, this is not legal advice. I am not responsible if the above information is incorrect.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 05:12:35 PM »
I'm a native new yorker & my brother was NYPD for quite awhile.
A well behaved citizen won't get in trouble for a knife around three inches long but do not clip it on yer pants pocket it has to be concealed.

The leatherman will be fine. The general rule as I was growing up was the blade cant be any longer then the width of the average hand. afaik even fixed blade 3 and under are ok concealed.

In the 80's one of my best friends used a bowie knife in self defense against 4 attackers, killing one & wounding another. He was never charged but he did have the knife taken from him.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 06:03:46 PM »
going anywhere with a metal detector?  museums etc? they don't like my leatherman.  had to put it in the car at the national aquarium recently in dc
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 08:47:38 PM »
Nothing is legal in NYC you silly prole.
Look, tiny text!

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 06:24:39 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I've decided I will take my Wave and simply pocket carry it. 
I can open both the plain and serrated blade with one hand, albeit a bit on the clumsy side.

I carried my Leatherman PST II years ago to NYC and did have it taken (and returned) at the Empire State building.  However, the Wave looks a bit more menacing than the PST and has 2 blades.  This makes absolutely no difference in reality, but I understand the good people of NYC are generally considered hoplophobic.