Author Topic: Getting old is weird  (Read 8301 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Getting old is weird
« on: July 31, 2006, 01:45:26 PM »
Last night I was lying in bed thinking about all sorts of things, among them my age.

It never really hits me that I'm now 55 until I look in the mirror or see a photo of myself. And then it's scarey. The rest of the time, I just seem to think that I'm X number of years old.

When I thought about it last night, though, it was in simple terms. All of the projects that need to be finished around the house. How am I going to finish them, much less pay for them, in the next few years?

My father is 89 and he's starting to lose it all. Memory, voice, the ability to walk. It's going to be tough when he goes. We've been very close.

I'm closer to his age, though, than I am to the age when I started high school. That, too, is scarey. I can actually "see" the end of my life. I can guesstimate the number of summers that I have left.

Sometimes, late at night, I think about the eulogy I'll write for my father. There's so much to say: his rise from the depths of the Great Depression to become one of the most respected engineers on the Apollo project; his remarkable mind; the legacy of generosity that he's passed down to children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and even great-great-grandchildren; his absolute love for my mother; and much, much more.

I hate the fact that we age. But, if we did not, I wouldn't be here. Instead, my father would be frozen in some moment in time. Perhaps the one in the photo on their wedding day in 1937, where he was hugging my mother so tightly.

And, so, I like everyone else must accept the fact of aging. But I question my own purpose, my own legacy. I have no children. I didn't help to put men on the moon.

I did win awards for ads that I shot, but those won't be remembered, nor should they be: they sold soap. Or lawnmowers. Or something else unremarkable.

My father's life and mine are intertwined on so many levels. One that strikes me now reminds me of the scene from "Saving Private Ryan," where Captain Miller tells Private Ryan, "Earn this."

The other is what Gertrude Stein is reported to have said on her deathbed to Alice B. Toklas:

"What is the answer?" [Toklas was silent.] "In that case, what is the question?"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Getting old is weird
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 02:10:29 PM »
Welcome to your very own Mid-Life Crisis, my friend.

Enjoy the time you and your Pop have left - take a drive in the country with the windows down, watch people at the park, whatever. Just spend some time together doing something that will make him smile. It's worth it, I promise.

In the meantime, relish the fact that you seem to come from hardy stock and have many decades of good livin' left in ya!

You want a legacy? Take some instruction from my Grandmother... The measure of a man is not the number of dollars in your bank account, it's the number of friends at your funeral. A dollar is spent and gone, friends remember you forever. THAT's a legacy.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Getting old is weird
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 02:18:53 PM »
My dad was 60 when we lost him, I'm 49. Nuff said about THAT!

Here, coincidentally someone emailed this to me today, hopefully it chhers you up and isn't considered too tacky... Cheesy

Life cycle

I think the life cycle is all backwards. You should start out dead; just get it right out of the way. You wake up in a senior care facility and start feeling better every day. You get kicked out of there for being too healthy, go collect your pension, then, when you start work, you get a gold watch on your first day. You work 40 years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement. You drink alcohol, you party, you're "generally" promiscuous and you get ready for High School. After High School, you go to primary school, you become a kid, you play or nap all day, you have no responsibilities. You become a baby with no cares whatsoever. Then, you spend your last 9 months floating peacefully with luxuries like central heating, spa treatments, room service on tap, larger living quarters everyday...and then... You finish off as an orgasm! It would have to be better that way ... Because this getting old ... Just sucks
Avoid cliches like the plague!

zahc

• friend
Getting old is weird
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 02:30:13 PM »
I'm 21, and I already feel old. I used to be able to take bangs and  bumps and keep going and be fine. Now I need to take weeks off to heal, stretch, warm up properly, cool  down properly, all in hopes of not getting hurt at the increasingly high rate that I am. I also attribute it to lack of free time preventing me from playing constantly and staying in shape. Then I want to go out and do the same stuff I was doing, even though I've been bumming around the lab for three weeks without doing major excercise.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Getting old is weird
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 02:53:25 PM »
I'm 20, with a beard.  At the fair the other day, I kid you not, a kid called me an 'old man'.

Now, I thought it was hilarious, especially after I kicked his ass at bumper boats.  Punk didn't like getting beat by an old man.  But, it was kind of a wake up call.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

280plus

• friend
Getting old is weird
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 03:17:33 PM »
Nothing really hurts until some young pretty thing calls you, "Sir" shocked

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Getting old is weird
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 03:25:33 PM »
Quote from: zahc
I'm 21, and I already feel old. I used to be able to take bangs and  bumps and keep going and be fine.
Four, almost five years ago, I turned 25.  A friend of mine in her forties told me I would start getting old from then on.  She was right!  I had been running five and ten mile stretches at a fairly decent pace, no worries.  Suddenly, I was getting knee problems, I wore my feet out on a half-marathon.  My back hurts from time to time.  I used to go out on week-long field problems without ever untying my boots until Friday night.  Now my feet get all, uh, fungusy if I don't air them out at home on summer nights.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

auschip

• friend
Getting old is weird
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 03:33:15 PM »
Quote from: 280plus
Nothing really hurts until some young pretty thing calls you, "Sir" shocked
Or some pretty young thing tells her daughter to "say thank you to the nice man holding the door".

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Getting old is weird
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 03:45:34 PM »
Man I've been asking myself these same questions since I was 17...going on 20 now.
Does that mean I'm weird?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Old Fud

• friend
Getting old is weird
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 03:58:42 PM »
It's even worse when the pretty lady with the daughter turns back to hold the door for you.  

Fud
Change is Bad!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Getting old is weird
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 04:10:28 PM »
When little kids refer to me as "Santa Claus" I feel old.
When I see pictures of myself and think "who is that old fat guy?"  I feel old.
When people see pictures of me when I was 20 and ask "who is that?" I feel old.
When people my age drop dead of heart attacks, I feel old.
When I realize I can remember my father being the age I am now, I feel old.
When I think back to an incident in college and realize it was over 20 years ago, I feel old.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Bob F.

• friend
Getting old is weird
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 04:52:52 PM »
I work in an emergency room, mostly "Triage". I.E. I'm the old fart that sorts 'em out as they come thru the door, the walk-ins, that is, not the ambulance patients. I'm 61. Amazing how some 40 yr olds look. I think, "Damn, do I look that bad?" Ocassionally, a nice 40 something gets a little flirty, well, rarely; but it's still nice!

Getting older beats the alternative.........usually,........and up to a point!

Stay safe (and breathing).
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

grampster

• friend
Getting old is weird
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 04:58:44 PM »
Dick,

It's wierd alright.  Just tonight I was zipping across the lake at about 50 mph on my wave runner and I decided to be 52 again.  Simple as that.  Dispose of 10 years.  I feel much better already.

Do I have to give back my SS checks?  Nope, ain't gonna do it.  It's nice being the youngest SS dude in the township.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Getting old is weird
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 05:16:12 PM »
Its funny being the youngest guy in my family (21), and being asked if my dad is my brother.  having a family buisness and farm is one of the greatest things ever since i get to hang out with dad and grandpa everyday, but its so wierd seeing how they age.  (double edged sword though, gotta put up with my ahole uncle everyday too)

age sucks.  I like where i'm at, i think i'll stop ageing now.....

cosine

• Administrator
Getting old is weird
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 05:20:17 PM »
Okay, I'm 18. Now that that's out of the way, may I ask why there are so many young guys (i.e. early 20's or younger) replying to this thread?

(Yes, I know this is a reply too.)
Andy

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Getting old is weird
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 05:43:03 PM »
Because I got called an old guy the other day.  To me, that makes it sound like I am getting old.

Now, just because the original poster is 55 and realizing different things that make him old, does not mean that a younger person cannot also come to the realization that they are growing older.  Sure, I am not approaching the end of my life (I REALLY, REALLY hope), but I can realize that it may be time to kick it in gear and do some stuff before long.

Maybe realizing it now is a good way to prevent waking up one day at 65 and then realizing it.  Realizing it sooner just gives you that much more time to accomplish what you want.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Art Eatman

• friend
Getting old is weird
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 05:55:08 PM »
I grant that getting old ain't for the faint of heart, but I've just never seemed to do the worrying that most folks do--including y'all. Cheesy

"If I'd known I wuz gonna live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."  Bullshit.  More like, "If I had it to do all over again, darlin', I'd do it all over you."

Getting older is mandatory.  Growing up is optional.  This world is the only playground you got, so you better enjoy this sucker while you can.  Moderation is for monks.

My wrinkles come from a bunch of grins over a bunch of years, so I guess I've been doing something right...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Getting old is weird
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 07:25:43 PM »
i take solace in the fact that over the last 100,000 years,
humans were darn lucky to reach 35 summers
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Strings

Getting old is weird
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 08:22:05 PM »
Dick... i gotta say that Brad got it right: spend every moment you can with your father. Mine's still alive, but i'm not likely to ever see him again: he's in Thailand, and has COPD (meaning he can't fly)...

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Getting old is weird
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 08:25:59 PM »
I don't know man, the search for lasting meaning and one's effect on the world, how one matters, is something that I allow consume most of my waking moments.

It definitely leads to being careful in how you treat others, ethical behavior, and quiet moments.

I'm 18.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Getting old is weird
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2006, 08:54:50 PM »
I'm truly surprised at the posts from folks in their teens or twenties.

Why?

Let's put this in some perspective. When I was in my early teens, the VietNam war hadn't even begun. The US was just sending over "advisors." Many of those advisors were veterans of the Korean war.

There were dial telephones, although most frugal people shared by using "party lines," which meant that if your neighbor was on the phone, you waited until he/she was off before making your own phone call.

Touch-tone phones did not exist. Cell phones were something out of sci-fi movies.

There were no computers, other than the large mainframes that occupied an entire city block and had all of 64K in RAM.

There were no CD's, DVD's, PC's, VCR's, iPods, LED's, or practically anything else that exists today in the way of technology. The closest we probably came was color TV, although most families in our neighborhood couldn't afford them.

At the 1964 World's Fair in NYC, I was pretty impressed with one of the very first demonstrations of the microwave oven. Problem was, the hot dogs were lukewarm on the outside, and cold on the inside.

Better to buy from the guy with the pushcart in the muscle tee-shirt across the way who was yelling, "Hot dogs! Hot dogs! Get yer really hot hot dogs here!"

That was my childhood.

My father's?

His mother used the coal stove to both cook meals and wash clothes. She shovelled coal all day into that stove, and ground the black ashes into the floor. She died when my father was just 12.

There were no refrigerators. The term "icebox" simply meant that food was stored in some sort of box, and that guys who carried big blocks of ice would stop by every day. That was refrigeration.

My father was literally educated in a one-room school house. All ages mixed together, and just one teacher.

Even as a teenager, my father was brilliant. He had the audacity to step up to the blackboard and correct the teachers' mistakes on math and algebra.

He predicted the concept of laser technology back in the early 1930's. By the 1950's, he'd already had patents on technology that only came of age in the last one or two decades.

An incredible man of enormous intellect.

Why am I typing all of this? Because I know I'm going to lose my father soon, and I need to just get some stories out while I can tell them. Feel free to just take a pass on this thread. It's just my own (thanks, Oleg, for the server space).

Back in the early 1960's, a big thing was "take your son to work" day. So, some of my friends got to go to whatever factories or offices their fathers worked at.

By that time, my dad had undergone a thorough FBI background check, including interviews with every neighbor willing to talk. Don't ask me what his clearance was; I didn't know then, and I'm sure he doesn't remember now.

But, when he and I walked into the guardhouse at the AC/Delco plant he worked at, I couldn't help but notice a large number of guards. Nor could I ignore the rack of Thompson subguns.

I didn't know what my father did. But I didn't know any other kids whose fathers had to present identification to guys who had submachine guns. Dumb as I was, I surmised that my father's job was different than most other fathers on the block. Other kids got footballs autographed by Bart Starr. I got to see Tommy guns.

When the Atlas program turned to arming rockets with nukes, my dad wanted out. I honestly didn't know this until two or so years ago. I thought he'd gotten screwed out of a promotion. Turns out, he turned all of his programming work over to his supervisor, let the super take the credit and the promotion, and my father then asked for a transfer.

Right? Wrong? I don't know. But it takes a very principled person to risk his/her career over personal beliefs.

By the time most guys reach their 40's or 50's, they're not much for fighting anymore. My father was no different. And, like most boys, I thought he was a coward for not going out and mixing it up. Funny how time changes your perspective on violence.

Back in 1960, though, when all of the houses in our subdivision were being built, I met a kid my age. His name was Mark.

Mark and I would charge up the piles of construction dirt. As months passed, I noticed that Mark was getting weaker and weaker. He couldn't even climb the piles of dirt.

Turns out he had musclear dystrophy, and he wasn't getting any better.

His father couldn't accept the MS, and instead made his older son the "favored one." The older son could play football, baseball, and do all the things that Mark could not.

The older son started to antagonize Mark, which pissed me off no end. When I got the "favored one" on the ground, I kept beating him until my mother pulled me off of him. I wanted him to suffer, just like his brother--my friend--had suffered.

Then, one glorious morning, the father of Mark and the "favored one" confronted my dad at the end of the driveway, accusing him of somehow interfering in business that didn't concern my father.

Up until that point, I'd only heard my dad swear just a little. I'd seen him lose his temper, but just a little.

It was Hell on Earth, and my dad was in full form. He ripped this Major ahole Dad a new one, and had parts to spare. He told this POS just exactly where his place in the Hereafter would be, and let him know what an SOB he was for letting his youngest son die without love.

That instance still stays with me. Why? Because my father could have called somebody--FBI, NSC, or any other alphabet agency--and said this guy was a Commie. Instead, he stood out there--outweighed and out-muscled by probably 50 pounds--and let this guy have what was coming to him.

My friend Mark died months later.

For those who still might be reading: this is boring. This is essentially my notes for a eulogy. Read at your own risk of narcolepsy.

When we still lived back in Flint, MI in the early 1950's, the Baker house was the party house on the weekends. Why? I don't know. My mother never drank, and my father drank very, very little.

But it was the place to be for all of the relatives to bring their guitars, harmonicas, steel guitars, accordians, voices, or other implements of musical destruction.

Amazingly, it all came together, and there were some pretty good jam sessions. Especially from a group of middle-aged women, including my mother, who can still blow some pretty good riffs on a harmonica at age 88. My dad still has some vinyl records made from those Saturday nights, and it was good stuff.

The problem was Uncle Johnny. He was a tall, strong man of Polish descent who could charm just about any lady he wanted. And so he did with my mom's eldest sister, Lilly. For his size, he was an amazing dancer. Maybe that's one reason Lilly married him.

The other problem, for my dad, was Uncle Johnny. Johnny bore a resemblance to George C. Scott: the nose, the eyes, and the noble attitude.

Aside from that, Uncle Johnny bore no other attributes to either George C. Scott, or Patton: he liked to bowl, and he liked to dance.

My father has always enjoyed serious converstations. There were none between him and Johnny.

Dad: "So, what do think about Kennedy sending more troops to VietNam?"

Johnny: "So, how's your bowling. Been bowling lately?"

Dad: "I'm worried that we could get into another war."

Johnny: "So, Pat, what's your bowling score these days?"

It wasn't until last year, when my father had a serious fall and broke his nose, that he told me what I'd never known before: this wasn't the first time his nose had been broken; Uncle Johnny broke it once when he was drunk and punched my father in the face. Now I understand!

For those of you who thrive on sleep deprivation and are still reading this, and particularly to those who are in their teens and twenties: you ain't old.

Those in their 20's still have the physical ability to do work that us "old farts" cannot, but can also present a professional image.

If you've played your cards right, you have the best of all worlds. You have an advantage that can only be utilized once.

You don't get this pass in life twice. Take it, run with it, make it the best that it can be.

280plus

• friend
Getting old is weird
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2006, 12:56:38 AM »
Touch-tone phones did not exist.
I remember seeing the touch tone phone demonstration IIRC at the NY world's Fair. They had it side by side with a dial phone and they let people "race" ro demonstrate how mch faster the touch tone was than the dialer. Granny got rid of her dialer maybe less than 5 years ago.

Helluva read Mr Leg... Smiley

Lee

• friend
Getting old is weird
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2006, 03:08:48 AM »
I feel your pain Bro.  I just turned 50 last week.  Just recieved my AARP mailng on Saturday.  I don't "feel" old, and I'm told that I don't look old.  Most folks think I'm 40 or so.  But it is a real wake up call when you know you're on the downhill side of your natural lifespan.  I don't obcess about achievment or glory though- I'm just happy that I've lived a fairly comfortable life; I've never intentionally abnused anyone; and I have a great family.   On the bright side- I'm fully vested in my company retirement plan, and as of Friday, I'm eligible to retire (If I could live on $400 a month LOL).  
Remember that a lot of great people did not achieve greatness until late in their lives, many of them were well beyond 60.  I am still very hopefull.

Antibubba

• friend
Getting old is weird
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2006, 03:39:44 AM »
When the 12 year old and the 18 y.o. girls look the same, you're getting up there.
When you see a really hot girl and wonder if she's cold/uncomfortable dressed like that.
When they don't even see you.

That's when it hits, harder than the aches and pains.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

cosine

• Administrator
Getting old is weird
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2006, 04:57:16 AM »
Quote from: Monkeyleg
For those who still might be reading: this is boring.
No, it's not. I enjoyed reading this.

Quote from: Monkeyleg
For those of you who thrive on sleep deprivation and are still reading this, and particularly to those who are in their teens and twenties: you ain't old.

Those in their 20's still have the physical ability to do work that us "old farts" cannot, but can also present a professional image.

If you've played your cards right, you have the best of all worlds. You have an advantage that can only be utilized once.

You don't get this pass in life twice. Take it, run with it, make it the best that it can be.
Thanks, I will heed this advice.

And you "old guy," (hope no one's offended at my choice of words) can still do a lot. There's still lots of advice you can give to those who are younger and just coming up and experiencing life. In fact, a lot of you have done so here on APS, I'm sure you will continue to do so, and I'm sure us "young guys" really appreciate it.
Andy