Author Topic: Getting old is weird  (Read 8300 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Getting old is weird
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2006, 08:18:12 AM »
38? Somebody had a BIRTHDAY!! Cheesy

I don't suppose you got that Maserati I sent...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Getting old is weird
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2006, 08:38:06 AM »
Not yet. I won't actually be 38 until September. Still time to send gifts! Smiley

Old Fud

• friend
Getting old is weird
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2006, 10:37:33 AM »
Send her high heels.
She'll really appreciate that.
Change is Bad!

280plus

• friend
Getting old is weird
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2006, 10:38:58 AM »
I checked on it, it's backordered. So sorry! Cheesy

Desertdog

• friends
Getting old is weird
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2006, 11:59:25 AM »
There is a whole lot of younsters out there concened about getting old.  You either die young or grow old.  So, which do you want?

At 71 I don't feel old.  After all, a woman is as old as she looks, and a man is old when he quits looking.  Damn I must be young, even if I was born before: WW2, TV, telephones still used operators for all calls,  first jet planes, nylon, computers, air conditioners, and most modern conveniences.

Feeling old is a state of mind.  Age is a calender thing that has nothing to do with what you think, although it may limit what you can do physically.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
Getting old is weird
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2006, 12:31:10 PM »
I never did 'introspection' well.  I turned 60 in July.  I was up in the SW Virginia mountains at a family get together.  Golly, all my sibs, and cousins are getting old. Smiley
Dad died in 1991, and Mom is rolling along just fine at 90 years of age now.
I am semi retired,   have no medical problems, (nor am I am  taking any perscription meds), and my wife is 15 years younger than I am.  Life is not that bad here, at Casa Mannlicher. Cheesy

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Getting old is weird
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2006, 12:32:15 PM »
Quote from: Desertdog
There is a whole lot of younsters out there concened about getting old.  You either die young or grow old.  So, which do you want?

At 71 I don't feel old.  After all, a woman is as old as she looks, and a man is old when he quits looking.  Damn I must be young, even if I was born before: WW2, TV, telephones still used operators for all calls,  first jet planes, nylon, computers, air conditioners, and most modern conveniences.

Feeling old is a state of mind.  Age is a calender thing that has nothing to do with what you think, although it may limit what you can do physically.
I know I can't control getting older so I don't worry about it. Same with gray hair, wrinkles and going bald.

Saw my first wrinkle on Monday AM while I was shaving, oh well figure I'm doing pretty good for 32. Got a few stray grays but have a full thick head of hair, probably fall out someday.. oh well.

Once you're born you start dying.

I can't believe all the people who color their hair, get botox and cosmetic surgery. I think in the next 10-20 years we are going to have a lot freaks walking around who went the cosmetic route and their bodies finally reject it.

I need to make it a point to tell everyone that I know who gets cosmetic surgery or botox that it looks like *expletive deleted*it and they should have stayed just the way they were.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

engineer151515

Getting old is weird
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2006, 01:03:44 PM »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Getting old is weird
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2006, 07:42:43 PM »
Getting old is weird.  Monkeyleg is weird.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Getting old is weird
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2006, 08:31:34 PM »
Ooh, can I post here?! I'm not a member, but I'm a HighRider of long history...

Yeah, weird. Definitely. Be 39 inna month'r two.

Wearing out, physically. Gotta knee needs surgery, naps are nice.

Useta be UnSTOPable and RRROCKET-Powered!!

Now I'm Blockaded and Fizzled. Gotta be nice to the joints, etc. Migraines are getting worse, albeit slowly, thank God.

Mentally, better. Memory's good, know more stuff to think on.

Emotionally, worse. A Bad Experience has taught me the capacity for Evil. This is an aspect of myself that I despise, yet I am completely unable to unlimber these reactions from my being, as their origins are complettely Righteous, Justified, and un-assailable.

I find myself with the ability to take gleeful joy and malicious satisfaction in the concept of the slow and painful sufferring of others, provided they are of the right stripe. There are people that I would toture to death, slowly, opportunity permitting.

Before, even at my most savagely cynical about the world at large, I never thought that I could or would ever be able to feel that way. I can't say I'm enjoying learning to live with/restrain that stuff. It's a bit frightening, and it's really, REALLY ugly.

On a positive note, I'm at last starting to actually wear some signs of age. Getting I.D.'d for alcohol purchase was/is a regular occurance. The World-At-Large seems to at last allowed as I might have graduated high-school, finally.

That gets me some respect and credibility instead of resentment at cocky youth when presenting ideas in conversation at things likw work, for instance. That's Gold, to me.

Conversely, I can still draw appreciative looks from the fair sex quite easily. Apparently I'm attractive, or something. (I dunno, all I see when H_R_G looks in the mirror is H_R_G, which doesn't tell ME much.) I suppose I could date 20-somethings, or some such. Some would say I'm supposed to, right?

It's just that the idea of dating one of my daughter's friends (If'n I HAD a daughter...) is an idea that I find... sorta... well... uncomfortable, I guess. Moms with kids get more of my attention these days, it seems, but they're usually unavailable...

Which is all immaterial anyway, as I'm a pretty strong social-phobic. The thought of initiating conversation with attractive strangers can cause Panic-bolts, which I hate more than ANYTHING. So instead of smiles, pretty girls mostly make me Snarl in virulent anger[/color] when the mere sight of 'em twitches my libido.

Not at THEM, mind you. At ME. It's strictly a personal problem that shouldn't concern 'em in the slightest, and I don't let it.

But it means I never talk to 'em. Ever.

Avoid 'em, even. I learned that Panic-bolts + hormone-driven-sex-drive + unrequited desire for love = Black Suicidal Despair. Or at least, it did once.

So now I'm getting older alone.

Wonder if I'll survive...

H_R_G

Strings

Getting old is weird
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2006, 10:39:31 PM »
HRG: find your local Pink Pistols chapter, volunteer your time helping 'em out. Befriend some of the ladies, and relearn social skills through them (after all, lesbians are SAFE)... Wink

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Getting old is weird
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2006, 02:54:17 AM »
Quote from: Hunter Rose
after all, lesbians are SAFE Wink
Well, maybe around you, but hunks like HRG and I have been known to convert a few.  Some guys got it, some don't.  

Just kidding.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Strings

Getting old is weird
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2006, 12:18:48 PM »
at Faire (given what I do: sell jewelry), I prefer dealing with the lesbians: haven't yet had one drunk off her ass, thinking my flirtation was a serious invitation...

Yeah... on weekends, I get paid to flirt with women. It's a dirty job, an' all that... Wink

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Getting old is weird
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2006, 09:11:16 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Getting old is weird.  Monkeyleg is weird.
Fistful, given our past interchanges, I'll take that as either a compliment or just a joking slap at me.

Cosine, since you seem to be the only one interested in what I've been writing as prep for my dad's eulogy, read to your heart's content. Anyone who's not interested, I understand.

Warning! Boring content ahead.

When the rest of the male members of my extended family--uncles, great-cousins, etc--were heading off to war in WWII, my father was kept behind by General Motors to work on the Norden bomb sight.

Do I know that to be absolutely true? No, I don't. I can only take his word, and the word of My Mother the Saint, that this was true. But, given my father's fast rise in engineering in the 1940's and 1950's, I have no reason to believe that this is not true.

In the 1960's, when he was being jetted and helicoptered around the country by the US Air Force, the USAF sent a letter to my dad's bosses saying that he was the most brilliant engineer they'd ever worked with.

Probably the biggest problem my father faced was the five sons he had sired: every one of us eventually became a punk, at least for a couple of years. In my case, it lasted for probably six or eight years.

My two oldest brothers--and, I swear to God I did not know this until nine years ago--were stealing cars and robbing liquor stores when they were just teens. My second-oldest brother, Bill, had the aluminum-foil-ball trick down to an art. He could just roll that aluminum foil ball around under the steering column for a couple of seconds, and then be off with a "new" car. He even aggravated my dad by stealing dad's car from his own driveway, just to show that he could.

Both of these "punks" went on to become very accomplished engineers in their respective fields, despite the fact that neither had more than a high school diploma.

My next-oldest brother, Charlie, was something of a different case. When we moved here in 1958, he brought with him the Flint, MI greaser look: the pompadour hair, polished Cuban-heeled shoes, cumberbuns, and starched shirts.

He had class. But not for the "jocks." He, like me, was skinny, and not a good fighter. The jocks would harass him every day, even to the point of holding him down and shaving his hair.

Fortunately, for Charlie, he had some friends over at Pulaski High School. These guys were animals. Real gorillas. When Charlie asked, they delivered: they broke some of the jocks arms and legs. I don't know where these guys are now. I suspect they're in prison, dead, or are police captains or lieutenants.

Unfortunately, for me, all of the busted up jocks remembered the Baker name.

So, when I arrived at Greendale High School, I was really surprised that guys I'd never even seen before would just walk up to me and punch me in the face.

I remember one guy in particular. His name was Dan Gunya (sp?). His dad was a motorcycle cop. I was just walking down our block one day and, as he passed, he said, "Baker?" I said, "yes." He then proceeded to punch the hell out of me. I didn't know why.

What does all of this have to do with my dad, or my thoughts about his eulogy?

I expected my dad to be able to teach me how to fight, and to stand up to bullies. I knew he'd been bullied himself when he was in high school.

But, expecting my father to teach me how to deliver a solid rabbit-punch would be like expecting him to teach me how to bowl like my late-uncle Johnny.

Instead, it took years for me to realize how my father stood up to bullies. He'd confronted them, had stood up to them, took some bloodied noses, but always came out on top because he had the upper hand. He would be the one who left Houghton, MI with a small suitcase and and mindload of ideas that would transform the world, at least to the extent that one man can do so.

In the interim, I had my fights. Some lost, some one. A Golden Gloves student took particular pleasure in punching me out every time he saw me. I got some punches in, but I was no match.

When his buddies got the idea that they could pick on me, though, they got a real surprise. I slammed the face of one of those guys into his locker. I think it hurt. Anyway, he was bleeding pretty bad. Another guy I busted up pretty good and then threw into the Root River.

Again, back to my father. This sort of behavior wasn't what he expected of me. And it certainly wasn't what the vice-principal of Greendale High School expected.

Nevermind that I'd been a National Honor Roll student the entire time I was there, but that VP Lyle Davies didn't even know who I was. I was now on his radar.

And so was my dad. VP Davies had lots of talks with my dad.

My dad was so busy doing work for the USAF that I believe that he just trusted Davies.

And this is where I think my dad let me down. It's when I wish he had really been there for me. He always was, but not at the outset, when he either could have kicked my ass something fierce, or decided that Lyle Davies was a fruitcake.

Lyle Davies was a fruitcake.

Because of all of the guys who were waiting after school to fight me, and also because I wanted to be with my now-wife Debbie, I was truant. Could have been half of the year; I don't remember.

But I do remember sitting in the living room at 10 am watching a game show. Cops came in the front door and the back door (no warrants, no Miranda, no nothing). They made me take my boots off, then cuffed me, put me in the back of the squad, and took me to juvenile detention. When the officials there found out that the Greendale cops were looking to charge me with truancy, they just laughed. They had much, much more serious problems.

VP Lyle Davies was not to be deterred, though. He recommended to my father that I see a shrink. This shrink was a piece of work. All he wanted to do was ask me about what sex I was having. He was one sick f***.

After a couple of weeks, he recommended to my folks that I go through electric shock treatments.

And my father agreed.

I've never brought that issue up to my father since that day. But he had known friends and relatives who'd gone through electric shock treatment. He knew what it did. I was absolutely amazed that he would agree, especially on the recommendation of just one single looney-tunes pyschotherapist.

Maybe, after all of the grief he'd had with my older brothers--car theft, robbery, and God knows what else--he just decided to put my fate in the hands of a perverse charlatan.

I hope that's not so.

There was a nightmare I had during this period that I will never, ever forget. I dreamt that a police officer was sodomizing me in his squad, no further than 100 feet away from where my father was standing, watering the lawn. In the dream, when I looked at my father for help, he just said, "he's a police officer. It's OK."

When it came to dealing with the police in reality, though, my dad was always there. When the Greendale cops called me in to ask about what drugs a friend of mine was dealing and where he was getting them from, I made up all sorts of tales. Because I didn't know the truth.

My dad was there, though. He even went across the street to the grocery store to get me a pack of cigarettes. And he made sure that, if I needed it, an attorney would be there. As fortune would have it, an attorney wasn't necessary. I wasn't involved.

This isn't to say that I did not go without punishment. I sure as hell did. And, after that, it would take me a good five or more years to gain my father's trust again. Once it was regained, though, it was priceless.

When I met my now-wife Debbie, she was 14 going on 21, and I was 17 going on 15. I'd dated most of the girls who were on the National Honor Roll in my classes, and they were incredibly boring. One I remember in particular kept a rhyming dictionary at hand, and wrote truly lame poetry.

Debbie, on the other hand, was a book-junkie, and had read and really understood the works of most of the great authors of the 20th century. She was unlike anyone I'd ever met before.

She was well-spoken, sexy, outrageous, funny, serious, and--for anyone who's ever met her--a person who you do not forget, and who remains your friend for life.

She was also my father's worst nightmare: he wanted me to continue dating a girl whose father worked with mine as an engineer, and whose daughter was also destined to be an engineer. As my father saw it: one engineer's son + one engineer's daughter = another engineer.

And, so, when my father found out that Debbie's father drove a garbage truck for the city of Milwaukee, that was supposed to be the end.

At one point, he called her "gutter trash."

This, coming from a man who had grown up and married during the poorest of times, and whose own wife came from the poorest section of Houghton/Hancock.

It took several years before my father accepted the fact that I'd struck gold with Debbie. In the interim, I always found it fascinating that he would stare at her high-heeled shoes when she came dressed formally to visit for holidays.

This from a man who thinks that Barbara Eden of "I Dream of Genie" is the greatest actress who ever lived, and who has every single TV show and film she's done recorded. (Is my mother a forgiving saint, or what?).

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Getting old is weird
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2006, 09:25:18 PM »
Hunter Rose, Fistful: when it comes to terms regarding lesbians or gay men, my wife and her gay friends have come up new terms. They're confusing to nearly everyone, but are more fun and less antagonistic to use.

Our two female neighbors down the block: "Lebanese girls."

Our gay male friends: "G-Men."

Our straight friends who wear kilts and tights: let me work on that. Wink

cosine

• Administrator
Getting old is weird
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2006, 05:30:42 AM »
Monkeyleg,

I hope there's more, your last post seemed to have left off right in the middle of a train of thought. Smiley
Andy

grampster

• friend
Getting old is weird
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2006, 07:56:38 AM »
How about combining them, Dick, and call them Stilts.  Tongue

PS:  Keep on ruminating.  It's bringing back memories of my dad.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

grislyatoms

• friends
Getting old is weird
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2006, 09:15:49 AM »
Happy belated Birthday, Preacherman!

I'm gonna be 38 here in a few months.

Jeez, where did the last 20 years go?

The first girl I ever dated regularly and fairly seriously died 20 years ago. Cystic Fibrosis.

I broke up with "the love of my life" 15 years ago, and haven't seen or heard from her since.

Been divorced for 7 years now. My daughter is almost 8.

Weird thoughts that I keep having:

I am 10 years older than the period between the bombing of Pearl Harbor and my birth.

I saw Nixon resign on tv. (Barely remember it, though.)

I remember watching "All in the Family", "M.A.S.H.", etc.  with my grandparents.

Ronnie Van Zant has been dead for almost 30 years.

Y2K was 6 years ago

Weird.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Getting old is weird
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2006, 09:26:27 AM »
GA: We're the same age and Nixon resigning is one my first memories.

280plus

• friend
Getting old is weird
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2006, 09:38:56 AM »
I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, not my earliest memory. I'll guess I was 5. Watched John Glenn take off in a rocket. Black and white TV. Do you 38 yo's remember when there wasn't color TV? Cheesy

Old Fud

• friend
Getting old is weird
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2006, 10:22:17 AM »
Oh you children.

When I was going to school, we had "Viva la Castro" signs on all the walls, supporting that rebel freedom fighter who was coming down out of the hills to save the poor downtrodden people from Batista.

I came of age just in time to vote for Kennedy. (Actually, my future wife voted for him while I voted for Nixon.  But she would have -- she was Irish too.)  

ALL TV was B&W.  They didn't start introducing color til later, and then only Daddy was allowed to adjust the set to get the colors as close to right as possible --- which he had to do every time you changed the station, because no two were the same.

I HATE it when an "Oldies" station plays music from the '70's.  

Fud
Change is Bad!

280plus

• friend
Getting old is weird
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2006, 10:29:19 AM »
Don't forget the rotating antennas, you weren't ANYBODY till you had a rotating antenna. Me and my brother used to fight over whose turn it was to rotate the antenna. We also liked to turn the knob and the run outside and watch the antenna turn. OK, we were weird. I remember the period when color TV was just becoming more popular but most of the shows were still in black and white so the picture had this kind of strange hue to it. I was in kindergarten when Kennedy got shot.

280plus

• friend
Getting old is weird
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2006, 10:30:45 AM »
I HATE it when an "Oldies" station plays music from the '70's.
Yea me too, I graduated in '75 so that's MY era's music. Golden Oldies?!? shocked

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Getting old is weird
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2006, 10:56:24 AM »
What was the question?

Chuck Dye

Getting old is weird
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2006, 10:57:43 AM »
You know it is getting bad when...

at the supermarket you look at a gal and think to yourself "Wow, is she going to be a stunner when she grows up!" just as the teenager next to her says, in a rich baritone, "Hey Mom, check this out!"

*sigh*