Author Topic: Getting old is weird  (Read 8302 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Getting old is weird
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2006, 12:24:24 PM »
One set of grandparents got their first color tv in about '74 or so. Great big thing, real wooden cabinet and all. Screen was, say, 26" or so.

The other set of grandparents didn't get one until the eighties.

BOTH my grandmas said "There will never be a microwave oven in this house." That didn't last long.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Getting old is weird
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2006, 01:13:07 PM »
Old Fud, I remember well when televisions first hit the market.

My father built our first TV from scratch. IIRC, he'd had one of my uncles make the cabinet.

All of the neighbors came over to watch the few hours of TV that were on back then.

When color TV came out, my father was making enough money that he just went out and bought one.

And, when my best friend and I started taking LSD in 1969, that color TV became one of our favorite forms of entertainment. When broadcasting ended at midnight, we'd watch the test pattern for awhile. Then we'd turn the TV off and turn it back on immediately. That had the effect of producing a multi-colored burst that, at least when under the influence, was awesome.

Today I really feel bad for putting my father through all that. He knew that we smoked pot, and he'd walk in the room, pretending to be asking about somethng, but he was actually trying to see if he could smell the grass. It didn't occur to him that we were using something much stronger by that point.

He now knows that I did all of that stuff, and he accepts it as part of my past. There's no recriminations, although I still carry the guilt.

There's one scam I pulled that I've never told him or my mother about.

When they had gone on vacation in the summer of 1968, I stayed home, had some friends over, and had a pretty wild bash that the police caught wind of. When my folks returned, Sergeant Fife let them know about it, and I caught some real hell.

The next summer, my father made it clear that I was going with them, and would not be staying home alone.

It just so happened that a small-time movie called "Gaily, Gaily" (starring Brian Keith) was going to be filmed in Milwaukee. And wouldn't you know that the filming was going to start right when they were going to be on vacation?

I told my folks that I was going to apply for a part as an extra.

A friend of mine had a girlfriend who sounded very professional on the phone. She called the house and told my mother that she was the assistant to the casting director, and that I was chosen to be in the background in a graveyard scene.

And, so, I stayed home. And had yet another wild party, although this time we made sure that Sergeant Fife didn't find out about it.

The movie came out in late fall, and my folks went to see it. And they both said they saw me in the graveyard scene.

My mother called just about every friend and family member she could think of, and they all went and saw the movie. And they all said they saw me in that scene.

To this day, my mother still calls me to let me know that "Gaily, Gaily" is going to be on some cable channel.

There are some things that should just remain a secret.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Getting old is weird
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2006, 02:15:33 PM »
In the 1950's, it was common for mothers to stay home and raise the children. And so it was for my mom, who had five boys to try to control.

While we never wanted for anything, my parents were frugal. My mother darned our socks, and sewed patches on the knees of our jeans when they became worn. Clothing was handed down from one brother to the next-youngest. When my folks took the kids to the movies, they would make the popcorn at home, and bring the bag of popcorn and bottles of soda pop to the theater.

My dad didn't get a new car until 1960, and even then it was a $1000 Chevy.

Prior to that, he made do with used cars, and did almost all of the repair work himself in the driveway. He also taught his sons to work on cars. It was pretty much a given that, by age 18 or so, a Baker boy would be able to tear a motor apart, put it back together again, and have it fire up on the first couple of turns of the starter.

If we wanted our own cars, though, or if we wanted better clothing than the hand-me-downs, my father had a simple solution: get a job.

We all had after-school jobs and summer jobs, usually before we turned 16.

My brother Charlie sold vegetables and fruit from a truck that cruised the neighborhoods. Yes, people actually bought fruit and vegetables from trucks that stopped in front of their homes. Charlie would call out, "tomatoes, potatoes, green peppers..." as the truck rolled down the residential streets. Charlie was always an exceptional salesman, even as a young teen. He could sell ice to eskimos.

My own first summer job was doing yard work when I was 12: mowing lawns, laying sod, etc. After that, I sold greeting cards door-to-door. Or copies of Grit newspapers (You have to be old to remember that).

When I turned sixteen, and was "legal" to get a real after-school job, it was washing dishes at a restaurant for 95 cents an hour. When I got my first paycheck, I went on a shopping spree at J.C. Penney, and bought a three-piece tweed suit, a couple of dress shirts, and a pair of wing-tipped shoes.

My next major purchase was a used Honda 50. I think I bought it for $125 or so. My best friend still needles me about how geeky I looked riding that little Honda while wearing my suit. Screw him.

My father was frugal, but there was one thing he absolutely loved: travel. My folks would pack all of the boys into the car and head off for two weeks every summer or two. We saw the Great Smokey Mountains, Yosemite, the Badlands, the Rockies, the Grand Canyon, Washington DC...pretty much every attraction you might think of.

Some of those trips I don't remember, because I was still in diapers.

Generally, we didn't eat in restaurants. My folks would buy groceries as we travelled, and would find motels with kitchens. While on the road, we ate sandwiches my mother had made the night before.

These trips were a real hardship on my mother. She suffered from anxiety, although she didn't know it. She just called it "nerves." But, in any case, she was always happy to get back home.

Not every trip was a pleasure for my father, either. During the trip to the Worlds Fair in NYC in 1964, we were stuck in traffic. The driver of a delivery van got fed up with the traffic, threw it into reverse, and smashed into the front of the first new car my dad had ever owned. I don't remember how he resolved that. I do remember walking through some neighborhoods that were pretty run-down. I have no desire to see NYC again.

A trip to Estes Park, CO didn't go so well for my father. He thought my brother and I would enjoy riding horses, so we went to one of the outfits that offer horseback rides. My brother and I loved it. My dad, though, got a horse that was still "in training." The horse decided it wanted to go running all over creation, with my father hanging on for dear life, and one of the wranglers in hot pursuit. My mother just about had a heart attack that day.

When my father retired, he and my mother took some trips on their own. But, with each passing year, the trips became shorter, as they both began to tire more quickly. Finally, a few years ago, they took their last trip to Winona, MN.

My father encouraged me to take my annual motorcycle trips out west. He reminded me, as he still does now, that life is more than having a nice house with a perfect lawn.

And, thanks to that encouragement, I have memories that are uniquely my own. The thrill of viewing the world from the summit at Glacier Park. The phenomenal pallette of colors of the Pacific at Big Sur.

One moment in particular will stay with me forever as a reminder of peace. I rented an off-road jeep, loaded up some gear, and headed out into the canyons in southern Utah. At every turn, I assembled a pile of rocks or sticks to mark my way back. Finally, I arrived at a spot where it seemed that no human being had ever been to. I'm sure someone had been there before, but there was no sign of it.

And there was no sound whatsoever, other than that of the wind blowing across the canyon walls. It was just me, some of the critters hiding under the rocks until sundown, the wind, and the incredible beauty of the red rocks.

Thanks, Dad.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Getting old is weird
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2006, 04:48:40 PM »
Dick,

Your eulogy is beautiful.
2 questions, though: can you REALLY make it through reading that without breaking up at a funeral? I know I could not.

Second, some of it is more focused on you than it is Mr. Baker the Senior.  Edit accordingly, shorten by about 50%, and you have a world class tribute to your dad.
You're also just fine if you tell me to f- off and do it just like you've written it, and I take no hard feelings from it.

Warm regards,
Ben

cosine

• Administrator
Getting old is weird
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2006, 05:48:42 PM »
Quote from: Felonious Fig
Dick,

Your eulogy is beautiful.

Warm regards,
Ben
I second that. Thank you for posting it.
Andy

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Getting old is weird
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2006, 07:07:36 PM »
Felonious Fig, this isn't the eulogy. It's just my thoughts in advance of a eulogy. My way of sorting memories.

If luck holds out as it has already, it may be three or more years before a eulogy is required.

Could I read it? No. I spent a lot of time writing a eulogy for my father-in-law last year, but nobody--not my wife, her sister, or her brothers--could read it. The pastor did so.

As for what I've written here about what I did way back when, or what my brothers did, it's simply a way to put my father's way of dealing with his wayward sons into a perspective that I can perhaps later make more clear.

But describing his way of parenting without mentioning his wayward sons would be like trying to explain WWII without mentioning Pearl Harbor.

I'm certain that nobody attending my father's funeral will want to hear about stolen cars or LSD.

A eulogy lasts perhaps ten minutes. Trying to distill the character and the life of a man who's lived nearly 90 years is a challenge.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Getting old is weird
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2006, 12:52:10 AM »
Not to interrupt the mood but I just had to mention my granny (97) has had a microwave for YEARS! She has never used it, she keeps her bread in it. She's so funny. Tongue
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Fudgieghost

Getting old is weird
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2006, 07:05:00 AM »
Turned 50 in April.

Some thoughts:

I'd like to have the FBI, or whomever, investigate and find out HOW THE HELL THIS HAPPENED (me getting 50 that is)!

I find myself looking back more than forward.

I still feel 22 in my head.

Realize that many attractive women, actresses, etc.,  are the same age as my oldest son.  Yikes.

I've been happily married to a wonderful, beautiful women all my adult life (she's also 50), so I was never "looking for it", but now that I'm 50, it kinda bums me out that, well, if I WAS, I'd be out of luck. . . you're really only attractive to the opposite sex if you're young and fit, or old and rich.  I'm neither.

I was 16 in 1972.  The time between then and now is 34 years.  That's the difference between 1936, say, and 1970.  

I've seen in my own time, with my own eyes places change (physically) to the point where I can now sound like an old-timer---"I remember when all these houses weren't here. . ."  Nobody cares.

The idea of "fun" shrinks as one gets older.  When you're a kid, you can picture a whole day of "fun".  At my age, it's limited to hours or minutes. . . and it's---a dinner date with friends.  Going to the beach.

My mother once remarked to me that I would never be able to know her as a young woman.  My sons will never know my wife and me as young people. . . We were quite a good-looking couple back in the day. .

Life (at least physically) is like a play or movie.  When you're young, you are the up and coming stars.  Then, in your 20's and 30's you are the star!  Then, as you get older, you move to character parts, then you're just an extra,  and you look on from the wings at the current stars--your children, and grand-children.

My wife remarked that the greatest tragedy about getting old---in your seventies, say and older----is that no one cares about you any more.  I realized she was right.  Depressing.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Getting old is weird
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2006, 01:44:02 PM »
"Then, in your 20's and 30's you are the star!"

Exactly. That's what I was speaking to the younger members of APS about in an earlier post: you can't go back, so take every advantage now.

The best reaction I can expect from a young woman is a "thank you" when I hold the door for her. More often than not, the reaction is one of surprise, since that practice seems to largely have vanished along with hula-hoops.

I don't recall my father ever lamenting the aging process, with the exception of the physical complaints. Perhaps that has something to do with the increased premium that our society as placed on youth.

When my father retired in 1982 at age 65, he was still highly regarded as an engineer. If he were a 65 year-old engineer today, I wonder if he would still even have a job.

"My mother once remarked to me that I would never be able to know her as a young woman.  My sons will never know my wife and me as young people. . . We were quite a good-looking couple back in the day. . "

My mother has told me just about everything imaginable about her and my father's youth. I have all sorts of photos. But all of that is like reading a book about someone versus actually knowing them. I only know my mother and father as I knew them from, oh, maybe when I was three or four years old at best.

Aging is weird. And Fistful may be right when he says I'm weird. But it's in your fifties when you really start to examine where you've been and where you're going.