Author Topic: Brilliant idea - gun-shaped phone case  (Read 1115 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Brilliant idea - gun-shaped phone case
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 11:23:23 AM »
Hopefully it will weed out some people that lack common sense.  =|
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 04:48:08 PM »
.  His friend, Ka Ren Liu, 17, said, “And the NYPD would, of course, take action first without waiting for you to explain.” 

That's the money line.

Yes, it's stupid, but the tone of the article and the responses from the officers is definitely over the top.

The bit about seeing it sticking out of a back pocket and needing to draw and "defend myself" :facepalm:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 05:17:55 PM »
Since when does something have to be shaped like a gun to provoke an NYPD shooting? Recall the case of Amadeau Diallo, who, when accosted by a gang of plainclothes NYPD officers, pulled out an ordinary wallet, provoking a 41-round fusillade by NYPD's finest.

And . . . they all got away with it.  =( 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 10:12:28 PM »
Since when does something have to be shaped like a gun to provoke an NYPD shooting? Recall the case of Amadeau Diallo, who, when accosted by a gang of plainclothes NYPD officers, pulled out an ordinary wallet, provoking a 41-round fusillade by NYPD's finest.

And . . . they all got away with it.  =( 

Of course -- they fulfilled the Prime Directive: They all went home at the end of their shift. Sucks to be Diallo, but ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 09:44:17 AM »
This is going to get morons killed, and honestly, the world is going to be a better place without anybody this *expletive deleted*ing stupid.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 10:27:19 AM »
Honestly, I fail to see what all the vapors are about.

We, America that is, managed to have all kinds of gun shaped things (lighters, toys, statues, bric a brac) for literally decades (at least) before cops got too stupid to tell the difference.

I can kinda see the issue with airsoft guns, as they are photo realistic.  But this does not look like a gun.  It looks like a toy, or a weird pistol gripped thingy.  Even a Hi-Point's slide is not as blocky as an iPhone.  I would not have one of these because it's tacky.  But to say that officers will shoot at this reveals a need for better training, better officers, or both.

Get positive target ID before you shoot.  If that takes a sec, suck it the *expletive deleted*ck up, Officer.  That's your job.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 10:48:03 AM »
Ya mean like this moron I ran into in a bar just before Halloween a year or so ago? She had a VERY real looking gun shoved in the back of her pants with it showing. Said it was "her costume." Real rocket surgeon there! (Open carry, hell, ANY carry at the time was quite illegal in a place that served alcohol for consumption on the premises)
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 12:56:23 PM »
Honestly, I fail to see what all the vapors are about.

We, America that is, managed to have all kinds of gun shaped things (lighters, toys, statues, bric a brac) for literally decades (at least) before cops got too stupid to tell the difference.

I can kinda see the issue with airsoft guns, as they are photo realistic.  But this does not look like a gun.  It looks like a toy, or a weird pistol gripped thingy.  Even a Hi-Point's slide is not as blocky as an iPhone.  I would not have one of these because it's tacky.  But to say that officers will shoot at this reveals a need for better training, better officers, or both.

Get positive target ID before you shoot.  If that takes a sec, suck it the *expletive deleted*ck up, Officer.  That's your job.
While this is generally true, I will also note that people generally weren't stupid enough to whip it out and point it at police. And if they did everyone accepted they were an idiot who brought it on themselves and it didn't get 24/7 news coverage.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 04:15:16 PM »
While this is generally true, I will also note that people generally weren't stupid enough to whip it out and point it at police. And if they did everyone accepted they were an idiot who brought it on themselves and it didn't get 24/7 news coverage.

The issue isn't people pointing it at police.

The police are openly acknowledging that if they see one, even in a pocket, they will likely draw weapons and engage.

In other words, shoot first and ask questions later is the official line on the subject of fake (even obviously fake) guns regardless of what the person is (or is not) doing with them.
Because, you know, "professionals".
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 04:24:54 PM »
The issue isn't people pointing it at police.

The police are openly acknowledging that if they see one, even in a pocket, they will likely draw weapons and engage.

In other words, shoot first and ask questions later is the official line on the subject of fake (even obviously fake) guns regardless of what the person is (or is not) doing with them.
Because, you know, "professionals".

The police these days will shoot anyone they damn well please, because "officer safety".  And they usually get away with it; if they didn't have a plausible reason, they will make one up.  So I try very hard to be the "gray man" that nobody even notices.  Hard to do when you're 2 meters tall and weigh about 20 stone (I had to look that up) but it helps that I'm white and middle-aged.
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 04:33:15 PM »

No they aren't. Not a single line in that article says that.

The quote in your first post

"“If I were a cop and it was dark and I saw this (case) on a person, my first thought would be to pull my gun and defuse the threat,"

Is from a community activist, not a cop or LE agency.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 06:39:04 PM »
No they aren't. Not a single line in that article says that.

The quote in your first post

"“If I were a cop and it was dark and I saw this (case) on a person, my first thought would be to pull my gun and defuse the threat,"

Is from a community activist, not a cop or LE agency.

I stand corrected.

I still think that's what the police in NYC are probably doing about it.