Author Topic: Another no-[expletive]it Sherlock moment leading up to the 4th of July  (Read 919 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
http://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/2632390400001/4333394283001/

The last time I "did" fireworks was when I was working an armed security gig in a building that overlooked the ball park.  Great place to watch the pre-show shows - especially the pickups with tarps used to create mini-swimming pools.  But when it came close to time for the show, I decided an extended tour of the basement was needed.

I have no problem watching fireworks on TV.  The concussion and the cordite smell are the problems.

Well, those and the crowds - the freaking crowds of freaking crazy people who deserve to be the target of crossing enfilading fire.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

zxcvbob

• friend
Looks like as good a thread as any to post this:  http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/maine-man-dies-launching-firework-top-head-article-1.2282157

I wonder if he dropped the mortar down the tube backwards?
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
There was also a fatality in Billings yesterday.  The gazette online described it as "horrible."

Don't lose your head when celebrating  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
"the cordite smell"

Uhm... no.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

erictank

• friends
Never heard of fireworks that weren't black-powder, plus additional chemicals for those special effects that make everyone go "Ooooo, ahhhhhh!!!"

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
It's poetic license, you heathens.

Well that and an allusion to artillery.  (Sometimes I feel I'm old enough to remember when they did use cordite. :old:)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Artistic license?

Or sheer illiteracy?

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Never heard of fireworks that weren't black-powder, plus additional chemicals for those special effects that make everyone go "Ooooo, ahhhhhh!!!"

Aren't the extra chemicals generally various powdered metals?

zxcvbob

• friend

And potassium perchlorate.
"It's good, though..."

erictank

• friends

And salts.  Calcium, Strontium, Barium, Titanium, a few others - depends on the color you want and what you're wanting it to do when it blows.  The whoosh and the boom, from what I've always understood, was plain old BP, though.  Which *I* certainly wouldn't want going off on top of my head. 

The guy played Gaston, from Beauty and the Beast, at Disney World.  Found that out yesterday.