Author Topic: I'm entitled and my parents are poopyheads  (Read 4138 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: I'm entitled and my parents are poopyheads
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 11:16:31 AM »
The show’s co-host tries to be helpful and suggests maybe Kim could work to pay her upcoming school bill, you know, like millions of other Americans do.

“You could get a job for the school …maybe the cafeteria’s hiring,” he said.

What was Kim’s response?  ”That’s embarrassing.”

She could try working as a stripper.  I hear that pays pretty good  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 09:21:53 PM »
Average income for lawyer-critter in private practice is $25k/year.  Even assuming they are oily enough to wrangle another $25k of income they spend on their own selves by way of their business, that is still just $50k.

Youch.  Not that I care for lawyers much, but could a number of 'mostly retired' critters be dragging the number down some?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 09:34:46 PM »
Youch.  Not that I care for lawyers much, but could a number of 'mostly retired' critters be dragging the number down some?

The reason I decided against following the law school path was hearing about how the graduates of law schools were having a really tough time starting out. During that same time period a couple members here were running into the same issue.

25k ain't the easiest thing to live on but it's doable around here. 25k and paying off modest school loans is a mite harder. $25k and paying off a big loan, I don't even want to think about that...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2015, 10:41:31 PM »
The reason I decided against following the law school path was hearing about how the graduates of law schools were having a really tough time starting out. During that same time period a couple members here were running into the same issue.

25k ain't the easiest thing to live on but it's doable around here. 25k and paying off modest school loans is a mite harder. $25k and paying off a big loan, I don't even want to think about that...

Kind of Schadenfreude moment for me. We've got too many lawyers because we've got too many lawyers.

Yes, I will concede that there are some very few good, decent, honest lawyers but they seem to be far and few between. The problem with lawyers is that they are a self perpetuating blight on society. It's gotten to the point where any civil or contractual dispute requires a lawyer because the other guy is gonna have a lawyer. If it wasn't for so many damn lawyers we wouldn't need so many damn lawyers.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2015, 09:58:52 AM »
Yes, I will concede that there are some very few good, decent, honest lawyers but they seem to be far and few between. The problem with lawyers is that they are a self perpetuating blight on society. It's gotten to the point where any civil or contractual dispute requires a lawyer because the other guy is gonna have a lawyer. If it wasn't for so many damn lawyers we wouldn't need so many damn lawyers.

This is why I think there should be official recognition of the fact that it's a conflict of interest for someone who makes money off laws being overly complex to hold an office tasked with writing those laws.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2015, 12:14:44 PM »
This is why I think there should be official recognition of the fact that it's a conflict of interest for someone who makes money off laws being overly complex to hold an office tasked with writing those laws.

I'd say that we get english majors to help, but that probably wouldn't have the right effect either...

I mean, a law in the form of a Haiku would only be cute until you go and try to enforce it.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2015, 01:59:49 PM »
I'd say that we get english majors to help, but that probably wouldn't have the right effect either...

I'd say we get a bunch of sixth graders.  If they can't clearly and unambiguously understand the law, it goes back to be rewritten.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2015, 03:46:09 PM »
I'd say we get a bunch of sixth graders.  If they can't clearly and unambiguously understand the law, it goes back to be rewritten.

Considering the average reading level is 4th grade, that's some pretty high-falutin' verbiage you are suggesting.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.