Author Topic: Batteriser pre-sale starts today  (Read 1694 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Batteriser pre-sale starts today
« on: July 27, 2015, 10:48:59 AM »
Somewhere along the line I mentioned these when they were first announced.  Now the pre-sale starts at Indiegogo.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/batteriser-extend-battery-life-by-up-to-8x#/story

I have no connection with them and will not make a penny off any sales.

If you are interested, you're welcome.

If you are not interested, sorry for having disturbed you.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Batteriser pre-sale starts today
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 12:25:07 PM »

Just a warning to folks, the claims are three inch shy of a scam. There CAN BE improvements, but it is of a varying scale.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 04:09:19 PM »
Just a warning to folks, the claims are three inch microns shy of a scam. There CAN BE improvements, but it is of a varying scale.

There, FIFY
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 05:07:15 PM »
Just a warning to folks, the claims are three inch shy of a scam. There CAN BE improvements, but it is of a varying scale.

As I recall, (and yes I'm too lazy to look it up) there could be reasonably significant improvements for an odd subset of poorly designed devices.  Maybe enough to justify $5 a pop for a few of these things if they live up to the believable parts of the claims.  If they turn out to have microscopic cold fusion reactors inside to actually do what they say, then they're worth buying for all your devices.

Frankly, the ones I'd want would be the LR44 and CR2032 sizes...though especially with the on-key remotes these days, I can't see why the stupid remote can't charge from the car when it's slotted in.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 07:00:48 PM »

Frankly, the ones I'd want would be the LR44 and CR2032 sizes...though especially with the on-key remotes these days, I can't see why the stupid remote can't charge from the car when it's slotted in.

And you want egg in your beer, too, don't you?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 08:34:02 PM »
http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/02/technology/make-battery-last-longer-batteriser/

A new $2.50 battery sleeve called the Batteriser, coming to Amazon this fall, promises to extend the life of your batteries up to eight times longer by drawing out their remaining power -- which you were about to throw in the garbage. The tiny, 0.1 millimeter-thick stainless steel Batteriser sleeve features an incredibly small circuit board, built to tap into the battery's remaining energy.

My old TI-55(?) calculator ran on a 9V 9UV battery, but I got a little inverter pack with it which would boost a A or AA cell to the 9 Volts to run the calculator, and fit into the regular batter hatch on the calculator.  But it required a little transformer in it as well.

So it's conceivable that "somehow," they fit an inverter in that sleeve (maybe in the bottom, negative side?) which would still fit in the battery compartment and take the "dead" 0.6 volts up to the full voltage of a fresh battery. 

???

Note I said "conceivable."  Over the decades, I've constantly been amazed at what can be done... like a laser gyroscope that can fit on your pinky nail, f'rinstance.

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 11:57:07 AM »
EEVBlog has posted a new vid examining how to calculate alkaline battery energy reserves.

https://youtu.be/1hs_9vx9APw

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 11:59:42 AM »
like a laser gyroscope that can fit on your pinky nail, f'rinstance.

Because pinky nails without gyro stabilization were a problem that just had to be solved.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 01:37:17 PM »
Because pinky nails without gyro stabilization were a problem that just had to be solved.

Until you've tried to get a scoop of coke up to your nose on a bouncy tour bus on a rough road, don't knock it.
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 01:48:28 PM »
When they say their gizmo can make batteries last up to eight times longer . . . they don't specify the device, duty cycle, or how many standard deviations away from the mean improvement their "eight times longer" actually is.

A healthy dose of skepticism is in order.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 04:44:57 PM »
(1) When they say their gizmo can make batteries last up to eight times longer . . . they don't specify the device, duty cycle, or (2) how many standard deviations away from the mean improvement their "eight times longer" actually is.

(3) A healthy dose of skepticism is in order.

(1) Good point.  Batteries (cells) do recover somewhat between uses, so duty cycle may be important... if it's not an outright scam.

(2) I doubt that most users would understand the standard deviation bit.

(3) Twue, twue, vewy twue.  I'd like to see some technical details, but my supposition above (Reply #5) about a teeny-tiny little inverter (or converter, more properly) still seems most likely.

I keep thinking Dick Tracy Wrist Radio.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 04:54:09 PM »
I'd like to see some technical details, but my supposition above (Reply #5) about a teeny-tiny little inverter (or converter, more properly) still seems most likely.

Terry, 230RN

Go to the EEVblog link above. He links back to his original Batteriser analysis (analysis summary: they're useless in modern devices).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 06:21:52 PM »
When they say their gizmo can make batteries last up to eight times longer . . . they don't specify the device, duty cycle, or how many standard deviations away from the mean improvement their "eight times longer" actually is.

It's about as solid of a claim as 'Could save you up to $500 on your car insurance!'.

A healthy dose of skepticism is in order.

Indeed.  Brad's linked video is very good at explaining it.  Now, I think that 'straight resistive loads' are more common than EEVBlog thinks - flashlights are a good example of one of those, and while it's only 1 type of load that takes batteries, it's probably the single most common.  But still...

You're probably better off doing the old 'trick' of once your flashlight is too dim, simply stick the batteries pulled into your remotes. 

Or the 9V from the fire alarm into your multimeter or stud finder.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 06:25:10 PM »
The eevblog is dead on for this one.  This is worse than useless, and for even resistive devices, the higher current draw near battery EOL is bad for so many reasons, beyond the really bad potential safety issues.  The only time this would be useful is on a device with a really poorly designed hard voltage cutoff, that draws little to no power...in other words...basically nothing.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 11:37:35 AM »
Indeed.  Brad's linked video is very good at explaining it.  Now, I think that 'straight resistive loads' are more common than EEVBlog thinks - flashlights are a good example of one of those, and while it's only 1 type of load that takes batteries, it's probably the single most common.  But still...

And even then, it's only the flashlights that aren't using regulated LEDs.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 09:42:41 AM »
Build yourself a Joule Thief instead!!!

http://www.popsci.com/joulethief
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain