Author Topic: new biological snake-killer  (Read 684 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
new biological snake-killer
« on: August 10, 2015, 07:56:12 AM »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SNAKE_FUNGUS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-08-09-10-43-54

In less than a decade, the fungus has been identified in at least nine Eastern states, and although it affects a number of species, it's especially threatening to rattlesnakes that live in small, isolated populations with little genetic diversity, such as those found in Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and New York.
Biologists have compared its appearance to the fungus that causes white nose syndrome in bats, which since 2006 has killed millions of the creatures and continues to spread across North America.

It's unclear, though, if snake fungal disease, "ophidiomyces ophiodiicola" was brought to the United States from elsewhere, as was white nose fungus, or if it has always been present in the environment and for some unknown reason is now infecting snakes, biologists say.

"I think potentially this could overwhelm any conservation effort we could employ to try to protect this last remaining population," said Doug Blodgett, a biologist with the Vermont Department of Fish and Wildlife who has been studying the state's rattlesnake population for 15 years. "We don't have any control over it. It's just completely out there in the wild."

Swift, silent, deadly, and takes a lot longer that ratshot.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: new biological snake-killer
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 11:39:04 AM »
Next thing you know, some people will spread the stuff all over, it will mutate, affect humans, and kill us all!!!!!
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 11:42:54 AM »
Mutant Snakes. That's how this will end.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 11:51:31 AM »
Could be bad ju-ju though... if rodent populations explode, then coyotes might move in, and start disappearing neighborhood cats. Or the rodents go unchecked, and spread other diseases, or do some plant damage, crop damage, get into houses more.

Although I'm not volunteering to go around dabbing Clotrimazole or Diflucan onto snakes noses either...    [tinfoil]
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 12:01:16 PM »
Mutant Snakes. That's how this will end.
Already a problem . . . or don't you watch the SyFy channel?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 04:35:15 PM »
Could be bad ju-ju though... if rodent populations explode, then coyotes might move in, and start disappearing neighborhood cats. Or the rodents go unchecked, and spread other diseases, or do some plant damage, crop damage, get into houses more.

Again, napalm solves virtually all animal encroachment issues when applied properly.