Author Topic: Jim Webb: The Democrat Who Could Win, But Won’t  (Read 1299 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Jim Webb: The Democrat Who Could Win, But Won’t
« on: April 29, 2015, 02:16:05 PM »
http://thefederalist.com/2015/04/27/jim-webb-the-democrat-who-could-win-but-wont/

I happen to think the most terrifying prospect for Republicans would be a challenge to Hillary from the right: the candidacy of Jim Webb, an old-fashioned, truly moderate “Reagan Democrat” with military credentials—Vietnam veteran and former Secretary of the Navy under Reagan—and a lot of appeal in places like Appalachia, and among blue-collar types. That’s a large part of the reason Webb managed to win a term as Senator from Virginia in 2006. (It also happened to be a good year for Democrats.)

For Republicans, Webb could actually be a formidable opponent. Because he’s not far to the left—he endorsed Republican Senator George Allen in 2000, before running against him six years later—he wouldn’t mobilize the conservative base in opposition the same way Hillary Clinton or someone farther to the left would. He would have crossover appeal; an old Reagan Democrat could win the votes of other old Reagan Democrats who have gradually become Republicans or right-leaning independents. And he would probably still get the votes of Democrats, who would be mobilized in opposition to the Republican candidate, who will either be a scary conservative or someone named “Bush,” either one of which is anathema to them.

All of this would be a big problem, if Webb were the nominee. But I feel safe giving this free advice to the Democrats precisely because Webb is an old-fashioned Reagan Democrat, so he won’t be the nominee.

I can tell this by looking at the younger generation of leftists, with whom I have had some run-ins recently. My sense is that these are people who have no personal memory of the fall of the Soviet Union and the shattering impact this had on the belief that a centrally planned economy really would work and would “bury” the capitalist West, as Khrushchev had boasted.

Nor do the younger leftists have even an echo of the memory of how the idealistic fervor of the Great Society yielded to crushing disappointment...

Thought charby might find this interesting. 

I agree with the author, Webb won't make it past the Dem Party brownshirts.  Too bad, since he is known to be pro-American in that he is not a fan of replacing the American population with third world imports.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Jim Webb: The Democrat Who Could Win, But Won’t
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 02:25:34 PM »
Thought charby might find this interesting. 

I agree with the author, Webb won't make it past the Dem Party brownshirts.  Too bad, since he is known to be pro-American in that he is not a fan of replacing the American population with third world imports.

Thanks! I'm a big Jim Webb fan. I just wish he would run.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 02:53:39 PM »
Thanks! I'm a big Jim Webb fan.

We've noticed.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 10:22:17 AM »
I've read his book several times.  Fields of Fire.  He's a Marine.  First Lieutenant of Delta Company, First Battalion, Fifth Marine Regiment.  He served in 9 months in Vietnam as a platoon and company commander.  Wounded twice, Navy Cross, Silver Star and two Bronze stars.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 10:30:50 AM »
Y'all make it sound like he is to the right of a lot of Republicans.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 11:06:15 AM »
Y'all make it sound like he is to the right of a lot of Republicans.   =D

On some things yes, others no. 

Also, "right" has been blurred by the GOP.  Is being in favor of welfare for billionaires a right wing position?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 12:18:28 PM »
I'm from Virginia. Just say no.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 01:17:41 PM »
I'm from Virginia. Just say no.

I already have a list of issues on which I am pretty sure Webb and I diverge. 

Is your suggestion based on issues, character, or something else?  FTR I consider "cantankerous" to be a net positive.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 01:22:14 PM »
Character. I already know he will look centrist but really sell out. He is a smug jerk.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 06:35:50 PM »
Character. I already know he will look centrist but really sell out. He is a smug jerk.

He's sold out the state before.

Based on a short number of contacts (5) with him over a 3-week period he's also a festering pile of cloacal pus.  On his good days.

But he has good looks, is a veteran, and was awarded medals, too.  (But then again, so is John Kerry.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 06:50:58 PM »
He's sold out the state before.

Based on a short number of contacts (5) with him over a 3-week period he's also a festering pile of cloacal pus.  On his good days.

But he has good looks, is a veteran, and was awarded medals, too.  (But then again, so is John Kerry.)

stay safe.

Thank you, sir, for that indelible imagery... [barf] >:D
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 07:29:08 PM »
On some things yes, others no. 

Also, "right" has been blurred by the GOP.  Is being in favor of welfare for billionaires a right wing position?
It depends on who you talk to.  Often anyone that actually has firm personal convictions in opposition to lefties is considered Right Wing.  Doesn't really matter what. 

The problem I see is there are very few who would be defined as being in the "middle" that have convictions.  When the media pulls out their mythical centrists at the Presidential Debate, they are usually idiots who can't make up their mind about issues that have been around for decades. 

It goes back to the real need for a major candidate or President who, without apology, speaks about and for basic common sense conservative stuff and doesn't float with the political winds or try to "craft" their message for some mythical group of voters.  If candidate just sets his plan together and defends it without wavering, there are a lot of people who would respect that.  Don't craft a message, sell what your already are.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 10:35:09 PM »
The problem I see is there are very few who would be defined as being in the "middle" that have convictions.  When the media pulls out their mythical centrists at the Presidential Debate, they are usually idiots who can't make up their mind about issues that have been around
for decades. 

That's because reasonable middle ground is somewhere in Ted Cruz territory.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife