Author Topic: Is this the beginning of the end for ISIS?  (Read 2110 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Is this the beginning of the end for ISIS?
« on: March 17, 2015, 11:46:40 PM »
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4629820,00.html

. But Daesh made two critical mistakes, turning itself into the West's main enemy. The first mistake was the Yazidi massacre. The shocking reports about it landed on the United Nations Security Council's desk, sparking a major row. The second mistake was, and still is, the public beheading. What the murder of 200,000 people by the Syrian army failed to do was done by "Jihadi John" and his knife. The West launched a military intervention.

It is the fact that Daesh is organized in regular forces, more or less, which makes it very vulnerable in a frontal confrontation with the American military power.

Conclusions:

1. Military strength is not merely a result of dialing up the brutality. The people with the massacre-everything attitude are going to lose - again - to guided missiles and precision strikes.

2. I have said before, I say it again: Daesh/ISIS/ISIL is massively overrated.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
Re: Is this the beginning of the end for ISIS?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 01:38:48 AM »
Interesting article - I wonder if the Israeli censors removed any material about Israeli support for al Qaeda.  It's a shame, that fellow who is in jail right now for reporting on it.

Daesh is actually very secure - its homeland in Saudi Arabia is a close US ally.  Any ISIS a member who abandons the group can move there to find exactly the same "system of laws".
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 03:53:50 AM »
I repeat my prediction. By the end of 2015 Daesh will either be completely crushed militarily, or will be controlling only a fraction of the territory they control now.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 04:11:19 AM »
I repeat my prediction. By the end of 2015 Daesh will either be completely crushed militarily, or will be controlling only a fraction of the territory they control now.

Do you think by that time Saudi Arabia will have become in some way distinguishable from Daesh?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 04:15:23 AM »
I have the utmost confidence that if it is at all possible Obama will find a way to reverse any downward trends of ISIS' power and influences.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 10:00:08 AM »
I think what people don't get about Daesh is that it did not advance across or cover all that territory, it is a large number of disparate Sunni Islamist militias who all decided to jump onto the ISIS/ISIL bandwagon with a snowball effect because Daesh got some street cred from what was happening in Syria.

People also don't understand the profound power vacuum that Daesh filled, with non-militant Sunni's and the Shias in the Iraqi military and government cutting and running from guys in Hiluxes with AK's, when they were sitting in Abrams and Bradleys, with millions.. billions of dollars worth of weapons we gave them.  :facepalm:

And yeah, as quickly as it formed, Daesh will fall apart just as fast.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 11:28:01 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 11:23:56 AM »
Do you think by that time Saudi Arabia will have become in some way distinguishable from Daesh?

I don't really care this much, really.

I have confidence in these guys as far as international terrorism goes.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »

I'm all for it. As long as we spend our dollars on the killing, and not the occupying and nation-building.

We could have invaded and pacified the ME 2-3 times over, for what the occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan for over a decade cost. And if leaving causes a Daesh/Al Quieda eruption? Then just go in and kill them again, then leave.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Go back in 1.5 to 2 years and do it again if we have to. Eventually they'll run out of combat-aged radicalized males. Then maybe there'll be peace for 20 years or so.

And we'd have a very finely honed military that would have everyone else on Earth quaking in their boots, and it wouldn't be worn down, logistically, monetarily, or morale-wise by the occupation, and the toll of asymmetric persistence warfare.
I promise not to duck.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 02:02:41 PM »
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4629820,00.html

Conclusions:

1. Military strength is not merely a result of dialing up the brutality. The people with the massacre-everything attitude are going to lose - again - to guided missiles and precision strikes.

2. I have said before, I say it again: Daesh/ISIS/ISIL is massively overrated.

It's not that I think Daesh/ISIS/ISIL  consists of bionic supersoldiers that can sterilize whole countrysides with just a dirty look that makes me think Daesh ....  is a BIG PROBLEM, it's that I don't see a lot of the surrounding countries (and America) doing enough to TKO Isis.   
Missiles and bombs are good, but they (IMHO) are just not enough.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 03:44:36 PM »
I'm all for it. As long as we spend our dollars on the killing, and not the occupying and nation-building.

We could have invaded and pacified the ME 2-3 times over, for what the occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan for over a decade cost. And if leaving causes a Daesh/Al Quieda eruption? Then just go in and kill them again, then leave.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Go back in 1.5 to 2 years and do it again if we have to. Eventually they'll run out of combat-aged radicalized males. Then maybe there'll be peace for 20 years or so.

And we'd have a very finely honed military that would have everyone else on Earth quaking in their boots, and it wouldn't be worn down, logistically, monetarily, or morale-wise by the occupation, and the toll of asymmetric persistence warfare.

Look very very carefully at the DARPA Robotics Challenges.

That's all I'll say.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 04:07:41 PM »

That was the British strategy in Afghanistan.  It seemed to work well enough.  They wanted to keep Russian influence far away from India, and did so by deposing any ruler in Afghanistan that was sympathetic to Russian/Persian interests.  They had to send in a column of redcoats about once a generation (and lost one of those columns rather spectacularly, iirc), but they did succeed in keeping the right rulers in charge there.

I don't think that would work for us.  Evil white westerners killing brown people in one sided conflicts, over and over again, just isn't going to fly these days.  We couldn't stomach it.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 07:21:18 PM »

It is a farce because people doing all the same things as Daesh are still there.  But they cooperate on strategic matters so their terrorism doesn't matter.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 07:45:26 PM »
It is a farce because people doing all the same things as Daesh are still there.  But they cooperate on strategic matters so their terrorism doesn't matter.

I would not say it doesn't matter, but not targeting America gets even world-class rat bastards some consideration.  Of course, I don;t think we ought to let them in our country.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 09:19:48 PM »

You are clearly underestimating Obama's capacity and desire to emasculate and disembowel the United States military.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 11:18:57 PM »
It's hard to defeat an ideology.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 09:52:25 AM »
That was the British strategy in Afghanistan.  It seemed to work well enough.  They wanted to keep Russian influence far away from India, and did so by deposing any ruler in Afghanistan that was sympathetic to Russian/Persian interests.  They had to send in a column of redcoats about once a generation (and lost one of those columns rather spectacularly, iirc), but they did succeed in keeping the right rulers in charge there.

I don't think that would work for us.  Evil white westerners killing brown people in one sided conflicts, over and over again, just isn't going to fly these days.  We couldn't stomach it.

Part of the solution is the lighting fast strikes etc. there's less time for an on the ground press presence.
I promise not to duck.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 01:15:35 PM »

I can think of a few ways. We don't have the stomach for it though
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 05:19:42 PM »

It's easy to defeat an organization.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 10:26:33 PM »
But do we have enough bullets and explosives?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 10:10:53 AM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 10:46:20 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/pentagon-loses-sight-of-500-million-in-counterterrorism-aid-given-to-yemen/2015/03/17/f4ca25ce-cbf9-11e4-8a46-b1dc9be5a8ff_story.html
"Pentagon loses track of $500 million in weapons, equipment given to Yemen"

Did we just give ISIS an aid package?

Not really.  If you look at what went missing, it's mostly stuff that they already have(guns), can't use(planes), or can't maintain and aren't really trained on how to use(NVGs).