Author Topic: Driving Under the Influence of...Wonder Bread  (Read 2248 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Driving Under the Influence of...Wonder Bread
« on: August 22, 2010, 10:43:11 AM »
http://www.duiblog.com/2010/08/09/driving-under-the-influence-of-bread-2/

LMAO!

I thought is was just me & my college buds, but at least two (much) more rigorous experiments(0) have been done that show elevated readings on various breath alcohol tests.  And that the devices, advertised at being able to tell the difference between breath alcohol and mouth alcohol(1), read the mouth alcohol as breath alcohol.

The errors and elevated readings went up to 0.05% (legal limit 0.08%).  Toss a single beer on top of that and Bingo! 

(0) One by a defense lawyer group (boo-hiss!) and one by a state gov't (hooray for the good guys!...who just showed our devices blow chunks  ???  )

(1)  Such as bread & yeast making alcohol between your teeth.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Driving Under the Influence of...Wonder Bread
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 11:25:10 AM »
I thought that driving under the influence of Wonder bread caused you to have a mullet, wear a Metallica T-shirt or wife-beater, and be driving a late 70s to early 80s Firebird or Z-28, bonus for multiple paint colors.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 11:34:35 AM »
My brother got enough DUI's that his steering column was fitted with a breath analyzer device (forget what those are called).

Anywho, he stopped to get a sandwich and put horseradish on it. The horseradish smell caused the device to disable his ignition.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 11:44:29 AM »
Choosing to eat horseradish is a good indicator of impaired judgment, and therefore drunkenness.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 12:11:21 PM »
The horseradish smell caused the device to disable his ignition.

It wasn't the smell.  It's more likely the horseradish was prepared with wine or had an alcohol base.  Lots of stuff does that you wouldn's suspect.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 12:40:48 PM »
It wasn't the smell.  It's more likely the horseradish was prepared with wine or had an alcohol base.  Lots of stuff does that you wouldn's suspect.

So that's why I find myself with a lampshade on my head every time I have a ham sandwich with horseradish sauce.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 05:25:10 PM »
So that's why I find myself with a lampshade on my head every time I have a ham sandwich with horseradish sauce.

worthless without pics >:D
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 06:39:26 PM »
How's chances of having the Officer who tagged you with a breadalyzer taking you to a hospital right away to have some blood drawn for comparison?

Just about every morning before I leave for work I slosh a goodly slug of alcohol-bearing mouthwash around in my mouth, and I've always wondered if that would be a viable defense if I ever get tagged for that.

This whole MADD madness disgusts me. Once again, we can easily find ourselves in the position of (A) being presumed guilty/suspect before actually commiting an offense; and, (B) having to spend beaucoup bucks to defend against possibly hokey charges; and, (C), being judged by a mere correlation between this (like the breathalyzer) and that (like the true state of inebriation/ability to drive.)

Oh, by the way, I don't drink at all.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 06:43:19 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 06:47:11 PM »
the test that counts is supposed to be after 20 mins of observing you to avoid the mouthwash etc bit
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

taurusowner

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 06:52:33 PM »
Just about every morning before I leave for work I slosh a goodly slug of alcohol-bearing mouthwash around in my mouth, and I've always wondered if that would be a viable defense if I ever get tagged for that.

Nope.  Most states (all of them that I know of) specify in their Preliminary Breath Test procedures that the subject wait at least 15 minutes from the time of the stop to the time of administration of PBT, with the subject being prohibited from putting anything into their mouth during this time.  This is to eliminate the effects of Residual Mouth Alcohol which can offset a PBT reading.  Residual Mouth Alcohol actually dissipates in about 5 minutes, and the law states 15 minutes just to be extra certain.  I have personally tested this on myself and others using mouth wash, cough syrup, beer, and hard liquor with multiple PBT devices.  Right after having those things in one's mouth, the PBT read as high as .19.  In every case, the Residual Mouth Alcohol was totally gone and the PBTs zeroed out after about 4 minutes.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 09:57:48 PM »
Ragnar Danneskjold

Thanks for that information.  Obviously, I'm no expert on the matter.  I only got stopped once in about 25 years for a dippy revenue-generating stop during Mayor Webb's spendthrift reign.  Missing front plate.  The officers had a man on the street signaling violators into a parking lot for any violations he saw.  There were about five cars stopped ahead of me being written tickets.  (I feel sorry for the LEOs who are ordered to do stuff like that --I'm not bashing LEOs here.  Only spendthrift MayorOs.)

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:02:44 PM by 230RN »

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 10:06:26 PM »
we have experience from opposite sides of the operation.... >:D

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 10:44:06 PM »
In every case, the Residual Mouth Alcohol was totally gone and the PBTs zeroed out after about 4 minutes.

If you could, try it again, but consume the liquor and then burp before the test.  If it's still in your stomach it should spike the test.

Another part of that waiting 15 minutes before the test is they're supposed to make sure you're not burping.

taurusowner

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 01:46:49 AM »
If you could, try it again, but consume the liquor and then burp before the test.  If it's still in your stomach it should spike the test.

Another part of that waiting 15 minutes before the test is they're supposed to make sure you're not burping.

You're right.  Or throwing up, chewing gum, smoking, etc.  Basically anything that passes through the mouth cavity can reintroduce non-BAC alcohol.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 08:33:31 AM »
Monkeyleg said,

'My brother got enough DUI's that his steering column was fitted with a breath analyzer device (forget what those are called).

Anywho, he stopped to get a sandwich and put horseradish on it. The horseradish smell caused the device to disable his ignition."

Strikes me it would be easy to defeat that kind of mechanism.  Like puffing a turkey-baster with nice clean air into it instead of puffing with your mouth.

Or a solder-sucker.  Or a baby snot-sucker.  Or a fireplace bellows.  Or your tire-inflator compressor.

But, as I said, I'm no expert in these matters.  (I'm interested in the chemistry involved, though.)

Terryteetotaler, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:44:02 AM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 06:04:25 PM »

Strikes me it would be easy to defeat that kind of mechanism.  Like puffing a turkey-baster with nice clean air into it instead of puffing with your mouth.

Or a solder-sucker.  Or a baby snot-sucker.  Or a fireplace bellows.  Or your tire-inflator compressor.

Or renting a car.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

taurusowner

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 07:23:04 PM »
Monkeyleg said,

'My brother got enough DUI's that his steering column was fitted with a breath analyzer device (forget what those are called).

Anywho, he stopped to get a sandwich and put horseradish on it. The horseradish smell caused the device to disable his ignition."

But, as I said, I'm no expert in these matters.  (I'm interested in the chemistry involved, though.)

Terryteetotaler, 230RN

I'm no expert, but I believe the devices have other sensors in them to determine temperature, humidity, etc of the air you put into it to make falsifying it harder.

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 07:35:33 PM »
i quit before those came out  i knew a scum bag who brought his 8 year old daughter along to b low in the tube

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 10:32:05 PM »
Ragnar Danneskjold said,

"I believe the devices have other sensors in them to determine temperature, humidity, etc of the air you put into it to make falsifying it harder."

Then I guess you'd need a warm, wet, solder-sucker, baby snot-sucker, fireplace bellows, or tire-inflator compressor.

Or a warm, wet, 8-year-old daughter.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:35:41 PM by 230RN »

taurusowner

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 11:11:30 PM »
Ragnar Danneskjold said,

"I believe the devices have other sensors in them to determine temperature, humidity, etc of the air you put into it to make falsifying it harder."

Then I guess you'd need a warm, wet, solder-sucker, baby snot-sucker, fireplace bellows, or tire-inflator compressor.

Or a warm, wet, 8-year-old daughter.

Terry, 230RN

Yep.  They're not foolproof.  I've personally seen someone get a friend to blow in one installed on their car so they could drive.

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 11:44:29 AM »
the scum bag i mentioned was knee walking slobbering drunk going to buy more beer with his 8 year old. i dimed the dimwit.  he was most perturbed with me but i was damned if i would let him drive with her in the car.  if he had been alone i might not have called.   did i mention i was his aa sponsor?   life sucks when your sponsor catches you buying beer or copping dope and you'd be surprised how often it happens