Author Topic: Thoughts/Recommendations re: Professional Movers?  (Read 1893 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Thoughts/Recommendations re: Professional Movers?
« on: October 24, 2005, 06:43:31 AM »
Follow-up to my last job thread:

We'll be moving to Dallas from Austin. Wife is already there working, I start in two weeks. We'll pay out our lease here through December, so we've got some time.

Due to transportation/physical constraints, we need to hire movers. This is the first time. We don't have a lot of stuff, but there are a few large furniture pieces I don't have the resources to haul.

I'm looking for general observations on traps, do's & don'ts, and any referrals based on good experiences.

TIA,

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 06:53:46 AM »
I've had better results with local movers, where I could use them; I don't know if that would work going from Dallas to Austin.  The local movers always seemed to be made up of crews of professional loaders/unloaders who worked as a team and took pride in their work.

The national movers seemed to consist of one truck driver who hired a couple day workers at each end of the trip.  He might not see the same guys again at one end of the trip, and that seemed to be reflected in the day workers attitudes.

YMMV.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 07:19:09 AM »
rent the Movie "Moving" with Richard Pyor

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 08:06:22 AM »
When you arrange for the estimate, tell them you want either a "binding" or "not to exceed" estimate.  If they aren't willing to do it, don't bother having them out.

Once you get your estimates, choose one weight, and ask the other estimators to re-quote at that weight so that you can compare apples and apples.

Look at any organizations you belong to, and see if they have "discount programs". I looked on AAA, NRA and some professional organizations that I belong to.  

Look carefully at what your homeowners/renters insurance will cover, then don't pay to duplicate that coverage with the movers.  

Inspect the crap out of everything as it comes off the truck.  Lift and look underneath all pieces of furniture.  Movers are really good at taping legs back onto furniture.

A great book is "Steiners complete how to move handbook".  It's available at most public libraries.
Experiment with a chemist!

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 02:50:41 PM »
Local movers to load your rented truck, more local movers to unload it after you've driven there yourself. That forces you to invest some time and effort coordinating things, but you'll end up with much greater control over the assorted variables. You'll want to supervise, supervise, and supervise some more.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 03:16:50 PM »
Some great tips.  As a former Milspec Brat, and mil member, I've been moved several times.
Re: Damage
Document everything.  Digital cameras are great.
Re: Valuables
Anything real valuable and portable, move yourself.  I mean Jewelery, art, guns, china.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 04:45:59 PM »
Wives don't understand this, but expect some damage as part of the cost of moving.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 05:13:13 AM »
All of our furniture is disposable (to me) except the Stearns & Foster king. The mattress also happens to be one of the most challenging to handle.

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 05:15:01 AM »
Check with you insurance company to see if it has any relationship with moving companies.  Be aware of the tradeoff between damage to goods and cost of a move.  In my experience going cheap is not the same as inexpensive.  Digit cameras are your friend.  Use the move as an opportunity to video your belongings.  Helpful for insurance purposes.

When you get settled in you new digs wait 6 months to inventory everything that was not opened.  You'll recognize the box by the the red sticker movers afix.  Throw out any box not opened in 6 months after moving.  That way you will stop the accumulation of junk.  Harsh, but reality.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 08:31:06 AM »
Quote from: Standing Wolf
Local movers to load your rented truck, more local movers to unload it after you've driven there yourself. That forces you to invest some time and effort coordinating things, but you'll end up with much greater control over the assorted variables. You'll want to supervise, supervise, and supervise some more.
I tried this and it was a miserable failure.  The guys who loaded my truck did a terrible job, and I sustained a ton of furniture damage.  When I called to report the damage they claimed they didn't do it.  In the end, I just gave up.
Experiment with a chemist!

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 09:17:29 AM »
I very, VERY highly recommend doing it yourself.  Round up some strapping young lads like myself (I will be in Dallas over winter break, and I have a brother), buy them pizza and beer, and load up a Uhaul.  Do the opposite on the other end.  I moved several times in the span of a couple years with help from friends.  We had one piece of furniture damaged, and it was one of those el-cheapo particle board and laminate things we paid $50 for.  "Professional" movers are not worth the unbelieveable hassle and inevitable damage.  Think on this one a minute.  Their profession is moving furniture.  They are usually not rocket scientists, and will not give a flying flip about your stuff.

Also, Waitone's advice about chucking unneccessary stuff is golden.  Goodwill/Salvation Army hears from me every time I move.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 10:08:37 AM »
Azrael256:

Moving has always been a DIY process before, but these are unique circumstances. We're both starting new jobs (no vacation time). The family & friends I would ask are scattered to the four winds. I sustained a back injury earlier this year which I'm concerned about aggravating, and I won't ask a volunteer to do something I'm afraid to do myself.

Thank you very much for the implied invitation. I'm a CSB (cheap selfish bastard), believe me. If we could make the timing work I'd seriously consider it. I'll definitely take you up on it if we do an in-town move. I'm picky about pizza, and I don't buy cheap beer, so we'll make it worth your while.

My (very practical) wife is driving this train, and that's not a battle I think winnable.