Author Topic: Thousands cheer Palin in Mich. for book tour  (Read 1344 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Thousands cheer Palin in Mich. for book tour
« on: November 18, 2009, 07:49:46 PM »
I wonder how the 'State Run Media' will try to spin this news to make her look bad, or will they just not report anything about her book tour.

Thousands cheer Palin in Mich. for book tour
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091118/ap_en_ot/us_palin_book_tour

By KATHY BARKS HOFFMAN, Associated Press Writer

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – College students ditched class, employees skipped work and some huddled in the cold overnight just to make sure they get an orange wristband Wednesday that would let them meet Sarah Palin.

Thousands gathered outside a Barnes & Noble and chanted "Palin! Palin! Palin!" for the kickoff of the former Republican vice presidential candidate's "Going Rogue" book tour, which has taken on the feel of a political pep rally.

"She's a person of faith, she has a family, she has gone through a lot of the trials and tribulations we have. I'd vote for her in a heartbeat," said Lana Smith, a dispatcher at a bus company who took the day off work and had been waiting in line since 5:30 a.m.

"Someday I hope her name is up in lights and I'll have had the privilege of meeting her," Smith said.

County music played as Palin's tour bus, painted to resemble the cover of her book, pulled up to the Woodland Mall in Grand Rapids.

"I just can't tell you how good it is to be back in Michigan," the former Alaska governor told the crowd, which chanted "Palin! Palin!"

"Alaska and Michigan have so much in common, with the huntin' and the fishin' and the hockey moms, and just the hardworking, patriotic Americans who are here," Palin said.

Wearing a "Palin Power" bumper sticker across her red sweat shirt, 72-year-old Rachel Baragar praised Palin's honesty and down-to-earth manner.

"She could be your next door neighbor," said Baragar, of Caledonia.

The memoir was released Tuesday but has topped best-seller lists for weeks. At the Barnes & Noble, about 1,000 orange wristbands were handed out, allowing wearers to get two copies autographed by Palin at the three-hour signing event.

College students Megan Patzky of Racine, Wis., and Sarah Cranmer of Chicago waited in line overnight and skipped their Wednesday classes at nearby Calvin College to get an autograph. Patzky planned to give the signed book to her father for Christmas.

After standing in the cold all night, Patzky and Cranmer were happy to get into the mall around 6:15 a.m. "We were hoping that someone would start selling coffee, but nobody did," Patzky joked.

"Going Rogue" follows Palin from childhood to her departure last summer as Alaska governor. The title refers to her independent streak as a candidate, stemming from complaints within the campaign of GOP presidential nominee John McCain that she had gone "rogue" by disagreeing with the campaign's decision to pull out of Michigan last October.

McCain halted his campaign in the state after internal polls showed Obama approaching a double-digit lead. Palin publicly disagreed with the move and said she'd "sure love to get to run to Michigan" to make sure residents know the Republicans had not given up in the state.

Before the pullout, Palin had campaigned with McCain in Grand Rapids. Her three-week book tour is expected to largely mirror the 2008 race with stops in cities such as Noblesville, Ind.; Washington, Pa., and Rochester, N.Y.

Many of those waiting at the Michigan bookstore said they would vote for Palin if she decides to run for president in 2012.

"I believe she's a good, strong person to do the things we need to do in this country," said David Zak, 70, who drove about two hours to see Palin. "I like her Christian philosophy. I like that she's pro-life. I believe she can do what needs to be done to get ahead."

___

Associated Press writer James Prichard contributed to this report.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Thousands cheer Palin in Mich. for book tour
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 08:01:56 PM »
McCain halted his campaign in the state after internal polls showed Obama approaching a double-digit lead. Palin publicly disagreed with the move and said she'd "sure love to get to run to Michigan" to make sure residents know the Republicans had not given up in the state.

Yeah, and America gave up on McCain.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 08:40:36 PM »
Alaska and Michigan have so much in common

Well it seemed to me when I lived there that about half the people in Alaska were from Michigan  :laugh:

She is going to be in Billings on 12-8.  I would like to see her but not sure I want to wait in line for 8 hours for 15 seconds with her.  =|

I wonder how it would go if I open carry...?   :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 08:44:38 PM »
County music played as Palin's tour bus, painted to resemble the cover of her book, pulled up to the Woodland Mall in Grand Rapids.

I wonder which county ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 08:47:29 PM »
I wonder which county ...

Some county in New Hampsha no doubt  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 09:04:29 PM »
Local news coverage is annonying the crap out of me.  Take a look at the local news portal:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/

Palin stories posted at:
6:01pm
5:50pm
5:06pm
5:01pm
4:50pm
4:38pm
4:36pm
4:04pm
3:15pm
3:11pm
3:04pm
2:54pm
1:47pm
12:08pm
11:33am
10:52am
10:40am
9:44am
7:37am
6:35am

Twenty (20!) stories in a single day over a book signing.  Chaps my behind, it does.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 11:23:22 PM »
Grand Rapids is in Kent County in West Michigan.  Lived around here all my life.  Good place to live.  We tend to be pretty parochial and make big deals out of modest stuff.  It's fun actually.  We've got minor league hockey (Red Wings primary AHL team), minor league baseball (Tigers Class A feeder team), roller derby girls, some bush league basket ball and some bush league men and women's football.
Getting closer to being a go to medical community with a huge medical complex to rival the Cleveland Clinic, U of M Medical, Mayo and others.

Mostly conservative from age 45 and up. 20 and 30 somethings tend to be more lib.
Grand Valley U. has one of the greatest small college football teams in the nation. Four nat'l championships iirc over the last 6 or 7 years..  Their old coach is the guy at Cincinnatti, Brian Kelly.  One of the top couple of coaches in the country imho.  Our JR. college is undefeated and #3 in the country.  We have some great small colleges in the area.  Too bad we're screwed by having Detroit in the same state and a bunch of crony Dems that run the legislature and the governor's office.

I sent a letter to the legislature asking if they'd please change the name of our state to Zimbabwe West, or kick the City of Detroit out of the State and give it back to France.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw