Author Topic: Thoughts on pistol caliber AR's?  (Read 11070 times)

sanglant

• friend
Re: Thoughts on pistol caliber AR's?
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 06:58:04 PM »
hmm 18inch barrel, 260grain at 800fps(with a very fast pistol powder). hmm might be fun. [popcorn]

brimic

• friends
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 07:02:02 PM »
Did you know 'chucks are not scared by green lasers?  They ought to be.

That would make an awesome signature line :laugh:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 07:40:36 PM »
Huh, anyone seen this MGI modular thingy? Seems like a neat lil deal, assuming it's reliable and not hype. http://www.mgimilitary.com/store/
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 07:47:29 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010, 07:53:19 PM »
In my little pea brain I see an AR upper in .45 that uses a PS90 like mag. 50 rounds would be fine, unless you want to go with a rifle length upper and fit a 100rd up there.

I like the Camp carbine idea, but if I ever get any suppressors I want the first to be on a Marlin .45-70 lever gun. If it's going to have to go slow to be quiet, it might as well be really big.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010, 07:56:24 PM »
I like the Camp carbine idea, but if I ever get any suppressors I want the first to be on a Marlin .45-70 lever gun. If it's going to have to go slow to be quiet, it might as well be really big.

I'd go with 458 SOCOM instead  =D
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2010, 08:39:40 PM »
I seem to remember some sort of levergun someone made that was suppressed.  I believe it was intended for hunting, but I don't remember the make or the caliber. 

A local shop had a couple of Steyr bolt action 308 rifles.  The guy said you could get them suppressed and get subsonic ammo for 308 that used a pretty hefty bullet. 

I think if I was going to go with a suppressed rifle, I would want to go as quiet as possible and NOT get a semi-auto. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 08:40:58 PM »
They ARE? That's odd, since MPA MAC10 clones use grease gun mags.

My mistake....  :facepalm:

.....grumble grumble fuzzy know-it-all grumble grumble....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2010, 09:58:15 PM »
How could I have neglected the Marlin Camp - i either .45ACP with 1911 mags or in 9mm with S&W mags? :facepalm:

Old-school compared to the AR platform, but just as efficient.

Jamis - where did you fund that?  I want!!

stay safe.

skidmark

Interneets.  I want too.  Specially since the camp uses 1911 mags. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2010, 11:08:17 PM »
The camp carbine 45 was an Ayoob fav in 2000:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_5_46/ai_60897644/

& Kim du Toit wrote his up as a bug out gun
http://www.theothersideofkim.com/index.php/ggps/4936/

http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/2007/04/marlin-camp-45-tips.html

Why did Marlin stop making them?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2010, 11:15:23 PM »
what about something like a Mech-Tech CCU?   http://www.mechtechsys.com/  Use your 1911 or Glock .45 frame and magazines, just take off the pistol slide and replace it with the CCU.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 12:30:17 AM »
I thought the mech-tech was cool until the Kel-tec Sub-2000 made it obsolete. 33rd Glock mags, lots of them. HMMM, need a sub-2000 in .357 sig or 10mm, that'd be zippy.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2010, 12:48:15 AM »
Why did Marlin stop making them?

Some say they didn't fit in with Marlin's image, which is weighted towards the FUDD side of guns. Some say they didn't sale that well...

Personally, I've owned and sold a Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm. It was more Meh than anything.

Some downsides of the Marlin Camp rifles...

Undersprung from the factory. Particularly the 45ACP versions. This would cause stock cracking. Wolff gunsprings makes 16.5 and 21lb springs that will work in both, but does make charging the weapon harder.

Factory bolt buffer disintegrates. If it falls apart and is not replaced, the stock and sometimes the reciever cracks. Blackjack makes buffers for it.

Lower- lower is made of plastic, and it's an old tech plastic that is NOT solvent resistant. Get a little too enthusiastic with the solvent and your lower can start to melt. That also makes me wonder about durability issues. We all know Glocks are extremely tough, but Glock uses a hi-tech plastic, and it doesn't melt when it comes into contact with strong solvents. And then we've all seen aged, brittle cheap normal plastic that breaks...

Some of the internals were prone to breaking, exactly what I do not recall, but since Marlin isn't making any more parts, that would concern me. Back in the day, some police departments issued the Marlin paired with S&W autos (since the 9mm Marlin takes S&W 9mm magazines) and I recall an account of at least one officer on one of the gunboards stating that the Marlins would break parts frequently and could not stand up to the rigors of patrol.

I'm much happier with the AR-15 pattern rifles. If I wanted another pistol caliber carbine, I'd buy an AR-15 chambered in the preferred caliber. It'll be more expensive than some, but parts availability, weapon familiarity, the modularity of the AR, etc help a lot, IMHO.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 08:02:42 AM »
Maybe Keltec will finally put out the sub in .45 one of these days....hey, a boy can dream....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2010, 08:09:45 AM »
Maybe Keltec will finally put out the sub in .45 one of these days....hey, a boy can dream....
Now that would be good.  Considering all the high capacity 45 pistols out there, they could always go with those mags also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2010, 08:11:12 AM »
Now that would be good.  Considering all the high capacity 45 pistols out there, they could always go with those mags also.

I'd imagine it'd be a glock or S&W platform.

Oh, and there is always the Beretta Storm....only about $900..... [popcorn]
JD

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2010, 08:31:53 AM »
What Kel-Tec needs to do is stop wasting resources on the SU-16A, B, D, and E models and get back to cranking out Cs.

A Sub2000 in .45 or 10mm would be nice, but they also need to update the sights to something a lot more durable.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2010, 09:56:42 AM »
there is also the civilian HK USC
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2010, 10:39:19 AM »

$1400+ at gunbroker.  Didn't see anything except 10 round mags for it, either.
JD

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2010, 10:59:15 AM »
Balog, you might want to ask Tamara about that.

http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2009/10/do-you-know-what-is-just-frickin.html

Hmmm, interesting. I'm not seeing much chatter on teh gunboards about them, but I consider Tam a pretty reputable source. And I like the idea of being able to switch between .45 grease gun and say 7.62x39 AK mags easily.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2010, 11:13:45 AM »
After running a 45acp sub gun, I can easily call it a good thing.
It was easy to control and the lower cyclic rate on FA was useful
and I loved the thumping sound.

The dearth of semi auto 45acp carbines is funny to me

It seems like a fertile field for someone to make a solid product.

I guess there is always the tommy gun

Myself

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2010, 11:15:48 AM »
I picked up one of these in Jan.  Really liked the retro, WWII aspect.  Hope to get out to fire it someday.

http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_15&products_id=133

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2010, 12:30:23 PM »
I thought the mech-tech was cool until the Kel-tec Sub-2000 made it obsolete. 33rd Glock mags, lots of them. HMMM, need a sub-2000 in .357 sig or 10mm, that'd be zippy.
.357 SiG shouldn't be a problem for them to do, they make the Sub2000 in 9mm and .40 S&W, just cut the chamber differently.  Also, don't forget the Kriss vector, 30rds of .45acp goodness from a gun about the price of a H&K USC that you don't have to modify to get mags holding more than 10 rds.  http://www.kriss-tdi.com/products/kriss-smg-45-acp.html  

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2010, 12:37:36 PM »

If HK would help us out with a semi UMP, actually offer parts and affordable mags for it...they'd sell a lot more...

But, no, they gotta go the funky route that looks wierd and has 10 rd magazines. Nevermind they could license a US maker to make it (and a lot of other HK firearms), build it in the US, import parts and assemble it into a compliant config in the us...

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:06:40 PM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2010, 12:54:47 PM »
.357 SiG shouldn't be a problem for them to do, they make the Sub2000 in 9mm and .40 S&W, just cut the chamber differently.  Also, don't forget the Kriss vector, 30rds of .45acp goodness from a gun about the price of a H&K USC that you don't have to modify to get mags holding more than 10 rds.  http://www.kriss-tdi.com/products/kriss-smg-45-acp.html  

http://www.kriss-tdi.com/products/kriss-crbso-45-acp.html

Want! 
JD