Author Topic: Thoughts on Daylight Saving(s) Time  (Read 5769 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Thoughts on Daylight Saving(s) Time
« on: March 06, 2014, 09:55:14 PM »
Is it better to set the clocks ahead before you go to sleep Saturday night/early Sunday morning so that you do not automatically lose an hour when you wake up?

About all that daylight we saved last year - how come we could not use any of it to melt the snow/ice we've been having lately?

Is everyone's saved daylight kept in a separate container, or is it all mixed together?  If it's all mixed together, can I get extra daylight if, when I withdraw some of my savings, I get some wrinkled, used daylight instead of it all being crisp new daylight like what I personally deposited?

Yes I was discussing DSL with a 3-year old today.  They know all the questions and insist I provide the answers.  Not fair!

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Thoughts on Daylight Saving(s) Time
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 10:22:44 PM »
Is everyone's saved daylight kept in a separate container, or is it all mixed together? 

Al Gore's lock box.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 10:26:18 PM »

Is everyone's saved daylight kept in a separate container, or is it all mixed together?  If it's all mixed together, can I get extra daylight if, when I withdraw some of my savings, I get some wrinkled, used daylight instead of it all being crisp new daylight like what I personally deposited?

It's been socialized, all thrown together into a common People's Daylight pool and frittered away by some federal agency.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 10:29:05 PM »
I'm just miffed no one its studying the impact an extra hour of daylight is having on global warming, but instead focuses on CO2 etc.
I promise not to duck.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 11:01:12 PM »
I'm just miffed no one its studying the impact an extra hour of daylight is having on global warming, but instead focuses on CO2 etc.

They actually do.
Formerly sumpnz

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 01:24:29 AM »
DST is a serious hazard.  More tornadoes happen during DST because of the extra hour of solar heating destabilizing the atmosphere.

(Seriously had someone try to convince me of that once.)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 01:43:45 AM »
Remember it's Spring Back and Fall Forward.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 04:16:18 AM »
Remember it's Spring Back and Fall Forward.

in 1981 when my boat pulled into MINSY we got in late afternoon on a Saturday. DST turned over on Sunday. The entire oncoming duty section, officers, chiefs and men, fore and aft were late. One of the few times I ever saw a command publicly smack down a chief. The torpedo chief wrote up the torpedoman for the duty section for being UA. CO made an announcement on Monday that everyone in Sunday's duty section had to report to TMC Smith to be written up for being an hour late Sunday morning and he expected the paperwork to be in his hands by noon.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 06:53:02 AM »
It's an evil consperiocy designed to screw up my sleep patterns. >:(

Stupid, stupid, stupid. At least it won't be so hard to fall back since I automatically wake up at 5 am, although I prefer to wake up and go back down for an hour then wake up, doze off and realize I'm way late for work an hour later.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 08:31:24 AM »
Always throws me off for a couple of days.  Like bluestarlizzard, I seem to be tuned to the sun, despite my big-city upbringing.  I guess it's my Inner Pagan operating.

It's not as disruptive now that I'm retired, though.  Just a pain to go around to all of the clocks and change them.  One or two are not all that accessible, and the one in the car I forget about for a week or more because I'm usually driving when I look at it and remember it's off an hour.

Terry
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:37:12 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 09:27:41 AM »
My wife and I both seem to have a clock fetish.

A few years ago I got tired of resetting 37 clocks twice a year and we pulled batteries out of all but a few. Now it takes us about 5 minutes instead of about 35 minutes to reset all the clocks.

The none working clocks all are smiles. 10:10

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 09:40:19 AM »

Boy did I read that sentence wrong.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 09:58:30 AM »
I loves me some DST and would like to have year-round DST to maximize daylight in the evenings.

===========

As to where they put the daylight they save up, the gov't has been in daylight deficit for YEARS.  The daylight debt is accumulating and our children and grandchildren will have us to thank when their summer days are truncated to a mere four hours and the sun does not rise at all during winter.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 10:09:36 AM »
Boy did I read that sentence wrong.  :laugh:

Whew!  Me, too!  I wasn't the only one.  Thanks for bringing it up.... oh, wait... never mind.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:14:02 AM by 230RN »

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 10:30:40 AM »
Maybe fetish was a poor choice of words.  :facepalm: We like the old world style and enjoy collecting them.

And for clarification

C...L...O...C...K  as in time keeping device.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 12:00:16 PM »

A few years ago I got tired of resetting 37 clocks twice a year and we pulled batteries out of all but a few. Now it takes us about 5 minutes instead of about 35 minutes to reset all the clocks.

The none working clocks all are smiles. 10:10

Or every six months figuring out how to change the time on a digital watch.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 03:21:40 PM »
I think the gubbermint is taking all that daylight that we save during the summer and selling it off to places like Australia, Argentina, and Chile.   >:D

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 04:41:50 PM »
I think the gubbermint is taking all that daylight that we save during the summer and selling it off to places like Australia, Argentina, and Chile.   >:D

Don't you mean "giving" to insure their loyalty and cooperation?  That's the way it normally works, opposite hemispheres notwithstanding.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 06:51:45 PM »
I think the gubbermint is taking all that daylight that we save during the summer and selling it off to places like Australia, Argentina, and Chile.   >:D

That won't work. All of those countries are in the Southern hemisphere. When it is dark here, it is light there. Winter here, spring there. Up is down, clockwise is counterclockwise.

Our government is stealing their daylight by giving them our unused daylight!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 06:56:26 PM »
That won't work. All of those countries are in the Southern hemisphere. When it is dark here, it is light there. Winter here, spring there. Up is down, clockwise is counterclockwise.

Our government is stealing their daylight by giving them our unused daylight!

They have plenty of daylight in the winter so that's where I figure all of our summer daylight that we saved is going.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 07:31:16 PM »
What is this "clock changing" ritual of which you speak? We don't celebrate that here. Though, twice a year, something screws with all the TV schedules.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 10:40:20 AM »
I've got vehicle clocks that I've never figured out how to change, and no owners manual  =(

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 10:49:22 AM »
I've got vehicle clocks that I've never figured out how to change, and no owners manual  =(

Uhm...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 03:05:56 PM »
Is it better to set the clocks ahead before you go to sleep Saturday night/early Sunday morning so that you do not automatically lose an hour when you wake up?

Forget changing the clocks, just set them to UTC and remember current offset of your time zone.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 05:21:08 PM »
Maybe fetish was a poor choice of words.  :facepalm: We like the old world style and enjoy collecting them.

And for clarification

C...L...O...C...K  as in time keeping device.

Trucker clock! Who wants some? ;)
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G