Author Topic: Thoughts on vehicle monitors for insurance discount?  (Read 1772 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Thoughts on vehicle monitors for insurance discount?
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2018, 07:06:57 AM »
Ditto. That really frosts my pumpkin.  Before I finally said pisonit and sent it back, I considered leaving it plugged in only for the regular drives, then unplugging it when I was about to do some maneuvering, like in the supermarket parking lot I mentioned.

OBDII splitters are a couple bucks if you don't mind slow boat shipping.  At least Progressive's device only reads the VIN when it's been off power and gets plugged back in.

The above bits of trivia are provided only in case they're ever standing between you and Final Jeopardy.

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Thoughts on vehicle monitors for insurance discount?
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2018, 08:33:58 AM »
"Then, their pricing between different cars makes little sense, at least to me."

Most often the rate to insure is based primarily on what it costs to repair a particular car after an accident.

My old insurance agent told me he had one client -- a guy with a Caddilac of some stripe and the wife had a Honda CR-X, not really a sports car but a sporty, small, coupe.

The insurance on the Honda was several steps higher than the Caddy, and it was because the Caddy did far better in accidents. Apparently the CR-X would, if you looked at it crossly, incur a huge damage repair bill.
I believe it's based on occupant safety more than vehicle repair cost.
A couple of trauma surgeries could equal a small fleet of new replacement vehicles not counting death and dismemberment lawsuits.
What we have here is failure to communicate.