Author Topic: Thoughts on Downing Street Memo?  (Read 1503 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Thoughts on Downing Street Memo?
« on: May 09, 2005, 10:01:04 AM »
In case readers are not familiar with the memo in question. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1593607,00.html

Alleges that the Bush Adminstration had determined in 2002 it would be going to war against Iraq and Saddams .gov. "... But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy. The NSC had no patience with the UN route, and no enthusiasm for publishing material on the Iraqi regime's record. There was little discussion in Washington of the aftermath after military action."
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Sean Smith

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 12:15:26 PM »
Not sure it really says much we don't already know.  

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 01:23:49 PM »
The Downing Street memo says many things that those of us that can read between the political doubletalk already knew.   Most of the justifications for the war are...  shifting at best.   Terrorism links to Osama?  Nope.  WMD?  Maybe, but we haven't found any.   Bringing freedom to the Iraq people?  Why should we?  Bring more freedom to the US instead.  Haven't seen many gun laws repealed, nor any asset seizure laws killed.  Seems like the government has gotten larger and some civil liberties are disappearing.  

My counterinsurgency instructor beat a motto into my skull.  "If the people do not rise up and take freedom for themselves, they neither deserve freedom nor will they keep it."

Saddam being a bad guy?  Sure, but there are plenty of bad folks in the world.  Why him?   Also, Rummy visited Saddam.  Rumor is that Rummy floated the idea of leniency or maybe even freedom if Saddam played ball and turned squealer.  If we wanted to deal with Saddam, we could have intervened back during the Iran-Iraq War, during the many Kurdish insurrection, or immediately during/after the first Gulf War.

My favorite part was "No decisions had been taken, but he thought the most likely timing in US minds for military action to begin was January, with the timeline beginning 30 days before the US Congressional elections."

"But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy. " is amusing.

Again, it validates a lot of concerns by folks who think this war maybe was not the best idea.  But it really doesn't bring up any new revolations.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 04:43:09 PM »
I have visions of Dan Rather and Texas Air National Guard memos...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 04:50:07 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
I have visions of Dan Rather and Texas Air National Guard memos...
Indeed.  A number of Congresscritters wrote a letter to President Bush asking for his official stance.   We shall see, I suppose.   I haven't seen any official denials, but I haven't looked in any depth.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.