Author Topic: Thoughts on the best brand of exterior paint for durability  (Read 771 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
I have to do some touch up painting on my backyard shed.  The contractor painted it with a flat contractor grade Sherwin Williams paint available locally.  I need to buy a gallon of an eggshell white so I can scrub it as needed.  I am happy to pay for a very good grade of paint so it lasts in the Seattle weather.  Does anyone have an opinion on a brand of paint available at Lowe's, Home Depot or a regional brand in the Pacific NW?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Thoughts on the best brand of exterior paint for durability
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 11:37:17 AM »
I've had excellent results with Behr Ultra.

We just used the higher-end Behr Marquee line for a small job. It's only been up for a month so I don't have any long-term experience with it, but it went on great.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 01:23:49 AM »
Only buy paint from a paint store. I've had great results with Sherman Williams, Diamond Vogal, Benjamin Moore and PPG. Yes it's $40-100 a gallon but with proper prep it's 20+ year paint job. Also screw Behr, it's discount store paint.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 10:23:39 AM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 10:08:23 AM »
The ONLY paint I will put on the exterior of a house is Sherwin Williams. Duration or Emerald.

My house was painted in 1993 with Duration. It's still holding up.

Yes, it's faded. Yes, there are places where it's chipping out. But overall, it's still in excellent condition.

I used SW Porch and Deck Enamel on my Mom's wood porches at her house. Still holding up great when I finally sold the place in 2018. The only problem with it, though, is that it's a latex enamel, which means it's virtually impossible to "bridge" over the small gaps between boards the way you can with the oil-based porch paints.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 10:09:48 AM »
Behr is fine for interior use. I've painted a number of rooms in my house with Behr.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 10:16:30 AM »
One buy paint from a paint store. I've had great results with Sherman Williams, Diamond Vogal, Benjamin Moore and PPG. Yes it's $40-100 a gallon but with proper prep it's 20+ year paint job. Also screw Behr, it's discount store paint.

I have always had good luck with PPG. I've used their higher end stuff for my homes and their mid-range stuff for my rentals when I had them. Even the mid-range held up well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 05:40:00 PM »
I had to go to Home Depot for another item, and ended up picking up a gallon of Behr Marquee ultra pure white satin exterior.  This is going to be for a door and trim already painted white.  We will see how it does. $ 53 for a gallon.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.