Author Topic: The Myth of the "Highly Educated" Obama Voter  (Read 11678 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
The Myth of the "Highly Educated" Obama Voter
« on: May 23, 2008, 03:59:46 AM »
About Those "Highly Educated" Voters

Have a few minutes to spare? Go to "Google," type in the phrase "highly educated voters," hit "Search News." Go ahead. We'll wait . . . OK, what do you get? All sorts of stories about Obama voters, and how he attracts the "highly educated." You will get the same from the pundits on network and cable news: lots of blather about how Obama appeals to "highly educated" Americans.

That, of course, is just more MSM "spin doctor" nonsense and we conservatives let them get away with it. We heard the same song when John "Xmas in Cambodia" Kerry ran for President, to wit, the "highly educated" went for Kerry the ignorant ones went for Bush. Every time you hear that phrase, "highly educated" substitute the phrase "attended a lame liberal college or university." That's what we are really talking about. Given the state of higher education in the world, including in our own beloved Republic, spending four years in a typical "liberal arts" institution generally qualifies you for . . . uh . . . well, not much, except, of course, to boast that you are "highly educated." And that just don't mean a whole hill of beans today. Let me explain.

A few years ago, more than I care to mention, I headed a large office at the State Department. I got tasked with hiring a couple of Presidential Management Interns (PMIs). These PMIs come from the elite of the elite student body at the elite of the elite universities. They get hired on a temporary basis and then, usually, get offered prestigious jobs in the government. I was told, in no uncertain terms, that whatever else I did, I had to hire women. So I began to pore over the resumes. My heart sank. I felt inadequate and so, so inferior to these kids. Their resumes, impeccably printed and organized, using dozens of words ending in "-ization," and listing prowess with a dazzling array of complex software programs, described accomplishments beyond my wildest dreams -- especially for when I was the applicants' age!

I thought I should resign and give up my job to one of the "brilliant" child wonders. Ah, naive me. I obviously had spent too much time overseas. I saw resumes as truthful documents actually written by the applicants, applicants, in this case, full of accomplishments and possessed of massive brains throbbing with energy and ideas. As I, however, kept reading, even slow-witted me began to notice oddities. They all began to look the same: the font, the format, the wording, the list of classes and even -- horrors! -- the "accomplishments." I noted this in passing to a cynical old friend (now, alas, departed) who worked in "human resources" (what a great phrase that). He laughed, "You dope! They get classes on how to write resumes! They have professors and computer programs that put these things together for them." (Remember, folks, computers were new things back then.) He said, "Just randomly pick a couple of women students, they're all the same, hire'em, and move on."

I could not do that. I stole a friend's idea and devised "The World War II Test." I invited the applicants for interviews. These PMI wannabes came off as slick and somewhat rude. I noted something among my subjects, a sense of entitlement,they all, to varying degrees, emitted a message along the lines of "Why are you bothering me with this silly interview? I am obviously brilliant. I have a degree from Columbia. I am not going to spend my whole life as you have in this stupid bureaucracy. I just need this to add to my resume. I am in a hurry." I hit them with the test, which consisted of about dozen questions about WWII and its aftermath. I recall a few:

Can you tell me how US troops got into Europe in the first place? When was WWII? (I would accept a variety of answers as long as the applicant could defend the dates as the true start and end of WWII.) What nations comprised the principal Allied and Axis powers? Who was Neville Chamberlain? What he did he do at Munich and with whom? Who was Mussolini? What did he do to Ethiopia? Who was Stalin? Who was Hirohito? What was D-Day? What President ordered the dropping of the atomic bombs and why? Can you name a result of the Conference at Yalta? What was the Berlin Airlift?

Of the 14 or 15 applicants I interviewed, only one got them all right -- the only male in the crowd, by the way. None, zero, zip of the rest got even ONE right. Not a single one. A very irritated applicant asked me, "Do we really need to know this old stuff?" I noted that we worked with NATO and Europe, hence, it was important to know the background that led to the creation of NATO and the then just-concluded Cold War. She stared at me and said, "What does World War II have to do with NATO, the Cold War and Europe?" I promptly offered the job to the male -- oh, the cries from "Human Resources" -- who turned it down for a more lucrative one in the private sector. In the best Foreign Service tradition, I stalled hiring anybody else, let my two-year assignment run out, and left my poor successor to get stuck with one of the clueless ones.

Back to our story. I wonder how many of the "highly educated voters" could pass that WWII test? Or the Vietnam War Test? Or the Cold War test? Or know much about American history? Or understand the economy? And worst of all, the odds are they can't fire a gun, either.

Moral of the story: do not accept the mantra that Obama voters are "highly educated." They just went to "institutions of higher learning," you know, like the one where the Weatherman terrorist, Bill Ayers, teaches.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: The Myth of the "Highly Educated" Obama Voter
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 04:03:31 AM »
"Change!"

"What specific change?"

*blank look*

doc2rn

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 05:01:13 AM »
I could thank you. I have 7 yrs of service in the Navy and I am a Senior in college now. Anyone willing to change the course of Gov. currently will get my vote. McCain keeps spewing Bush's failed policy, Hillary supported the death of American industry with NAFTA, since Ron Paul hasnt gotten the Rep. nomination I am left with one possible candidate.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 05:03:25 AM »
I could thank you. I have 7 yrs of service in the Navy and I am a Senior in college now. Anyone willing to change the course of Gov. currently will get my vote. McCain keeps spewing Bush's failed policy, Hillary supported the death of American industry with NAFTA, since Ron Paul hasnt gotten the Rep. nomination I am left with one possible candidate.

Um...what?

You mean the one who wants to ban all guns and socialize things Marx-style?

Glock Glockler

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 05:14:58 AM »
doc2rn,

I don't like what the current administration has done and I wold like to see a big change in the Federal Govt., but Obama style change would be going from the frying pan into the fire. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 05:51:15 AM »
I think I could answer all of his WWII test questions.  If true, it is pretty sad that none of them could.  WWII is basic history. 

The few details of "change" that I have heard that Obama supports are scary and not the sort of change I want.  "Change" in and of itself is not something to support blindly without knowing what you are getting into.  A dictator would bring "change" also. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 06:12:11 AM »
So wait, the average US college undergrad is like THAT?

And I'm going to be competing with THESE people when I apply?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 06:17:22 AM »
See there Micro, no problems.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 06:19:16 AM »
Is it possible this is fake?

I remember studying about WWII in year 9.

Admittedly I deftly dodged studying it during the BA. But that's because I took other courses.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 06:30:28 AM »
So instead of voting for the merely mediocre you plan to vote for the truly awful?
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 06:55:45 AM »
"Do we really need to know this old stuff?"

Only if you don't want to go back and do it over again.

My old pal Jim, gone now these thirteen years, used to put it this way: "Lessons are repeated until mastered."
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 08:02:43 AM »

Admittedly I deftly dodged studying it during the BA. But that's because I took other courses.
Fake?  Perhaps.  But the sentiment it presents is accurate.  Startlingly few Americans, even "educated" Americans, know much of anything about the world or their own country.

Most Americans do, however, know all about American Idol.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 08:37:56 AM »
HTG, there are American students at TAU.

I have not known one to be that uneducated.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 09:12:48 AM »
I call BS. I'm pretty sure Obama has a huge number of highly educated and highly intelligent supporters in all 57 states.

*walks off into sarcasm land*

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 09:16:21 AM »
So wait, the average US college undergrad is like THAT?

And I'm going to be competing with THESE people when I apply?

Both questions rate a "depends."

#1 The avg US undergrad i likely more able to answer those questions because of #2...

#2 The sample he had to choose from came from "elite" universities: the Ivy League, & some others.  Some of the "elite" universities allow the student to craft their own degree and graduate without ever having had to learn anything of use.  How else could Brooke Shields graduate from Princeton?

#3 Also, they were likely concentrated in a few areas of study:
poli sci
law/pre-law
other liberal arts
journalism
government
My point is that there are a lot of sharp folks on campus who would no more apply for a gooberment job in the St Dept than they would set their hair on fire & beat it out with a golf shoe.  For instance, the interviewer likely saw not one person with a hard science, engineering, or mathematics degree.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 10:05:30 AM »
I would think the 'liberal arts' would require you to know history to some extent.

History IS one of the liberal arts, you know.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 10:29:27 AM »
The word "educated" is a meaningless word in this context, in any case.  It's passive voice.  It's a process done by someone else (a professor, perhaps), to a student, rather than being done by the student.

An "educator" can "educate" a room with two people in it:  A highly-motivated person of average intelligence who pays attention and takes notes, and a lazy bum with an IQ of 180 who shows up every day and sits passively.  At the end of the course, I'd rather hire the average-but-motivated kid.

Not because he was "educated", because they were both educated equally, but because he learned.

Learning takes effort on the part of the student.  Education takes none at all; it just takes money.

Learning is a process.  Education is merely an opportunity to learn, not a guarantee.

I'd bet a dollar that the people who refer to the "educated Obama supporters" are fully aware of this distinction, and are counting on the fact that most people are not cognizant of it and its implications.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 10:54:22 AM »
It's marketing.....

"You're not smart unless you vote for Obama."   rolleyes
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 11:15:38 AM »
I had to have 2 semesters of US History as part of my undergrad credits, but it is possible to take alternative classes that are much different.  I took US Military History also as part of one of those non-engineering classes. 

I figure most college grads could answer some of those questions, but not everyone could answer them all.  I am not sure I absolutely knew them all, but I could make educated guesses that were more or less correct.  I could guess the conference at Yalta was where the allies all met to discuss post war control of Germany and such, but if you asked me where that conference was, I wouldn't know. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 11:21:36 AM »
On the "educated liberals" stuff, I have often found that those who consider themselves educated elite are often not near as knowledgeable or as intelligent as they think they are.  That is one of the reasons I try to be skeptical when "we know more than you" type organizations make grand statements on health, environment, or policy. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 01:59:12 PM »
Not looking anything up ...

Can you tell me how US troops got into Europe in the first place?
By troop ship, mostly  laugh  Then there was that little affair at Pearl Harbor.

When was WWII? (I would accept a variety of answers as long as the applicant could defend the dates as the true start and end of WWII.)
1939-1945

What nations comprised the principal Allied and Axis powers?
Axis: Germany, Italy, & Japan
Allied: USA, USSR, and England, along with Canada, Australia, NZ

Who was Neville Chamberlain?
Prime Minister of England in the 1930s

What he did he do at Munich and with whom?
Made an agreement with Hitler not to interfere with German expansion into um ... Chechoslovakia or Austria(?)

Who was Mussolini?
Fascist dicatator of Italy

What did he do to Ethiopia?
Invaded and machine-gunned defenders with spears

Who was Stalin?
Leader of Russia (USSR)

Who was Hirohito?
Emporer of Japan

What was D-Day?
June 1944 invasion of France at Normandy

What President ordered the dropping of the atomic bombs and why?
Truman, ostensibly to avoid an invasion of Japan by getting them to agree to unconditional surrender

Can you name a result of the Conference at Yalta?
Division of Berlin and Germany after Allied victory

What was the Berlin Airlift?
US and British effort to supply West Berlin with food and fuel after Soviets closed land access.

Anyway, I'm still not voting for Obama ... rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 06:22:54 PM »

Whether the interviews are real or not, no clue.   But I assume you haven't interviewed anyone for a job lately. 

I've been included in two interviewing processes in the last year.  Mind you, the resumes handed to us are already picked over by HR.   Roughly half the people applying had no meaningful technical education.  Which would be fine if they were motivated and self taught.  Which they weren't.  They tossed in all the buzz words they could into their resume and hoped they'd be hired sight unseen.   So you call for scheduling interviews.  Roughly half will either show up late or just not show up.  Of the remaining 25%, the bulk did actually had the right certifications and schooling.  And that's it.  No ability to adjust or work independently.  They can do exactly what you tell them to do, provided you hand them step by step instructions and do most of the research for them. 

Maybe 5% of the total had basic handling of critical thinking, some grasp on logic, and could be trusted to figure out a problem without crippling the entire company.  Not always, but usually, looked totally unqualified on a resume (if you compare to a professionally scrubbed papermill resume).

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 08:46:22 PM »
There is a team of my law school to help you craft resumes, coach you on interviews, and, I kid you not, aid you in fancy sock selection.
If the particular weave of my dress socks is an actual factor in my hiring process, I don't want the job.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2008, 01:25:49 AM »
A young friend of mine was getting a degree in International Affairs, very liberal, anti gun.
I never got to discuss ww2 with him because he didn't know what side won the Civil War...but he was sure "eeeevil Republicans" were on the slavery side... angry
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 05:16:37 AM »
A young friend of mine was getting a degree in International Affairs, very liberal, anti gun.
I never got to discuss ww2 with him because he didn't know what side won the Civil War...but he was sure "eeeevil Republicans" were on the slavery side... angry

Hopefully that degree in international affairs will serve them well when they're called to clean up a spill in the aisle containing ethnic and international foods.