Author Topic: Stick a fork in her....  (Read 10938 times)

Bigjake

• friend
Stick a fork in her....
« on: June 07, 2008, 09:57:54 AM »
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/06/07/clinton-set-to-end-historic-bid-for-the-white-house/

Standing before a throng of supporters with American flags as her backdrop, Hillary Clinton did something Saturday that 17 months ago seemed unthinkable  she conceded defeat.

The former first lady, who as recently as Tuesday declared herself the strongest candidate, gave former rival Barack Obama an unqualified endorsement and pivoted from her role as determined foe to absolute ally. She suspended her historic bid for the White House, settling the dust following a grueling 17-month campaign.

Clinton repeatedly called on her supporters to unite behind the Illinois senator, casting the general election as a critical opportunity to shift course after seven years with a Republican president. She acknowledged the hard-fought and sometimes-bitter Democratic primary battle, but assured her voters that Obama has proved himself to the country.

Ive had a front-row seat to his candidacy, and I have seen his strength and determination, his grace and his grit, she said.

We all know this has been a tough fight, but the Democratic Party is a family & we may have started on separate journeys but today our paths have merged, and were all heading toward the same destination.

Clinton kicked off her concession by directly thanking supporters who poured their heart and hopes into her campaign.

Well this isnt exactly the party Id planned, but I sure like the company, Clinton said at the National Building Museum in Washington, D.C., her husband Bill and daughter Chelsea by her side.

Within minutes she announced that she was bowing out of the race.

The way to continue our fight now & is to take our energy, our passion, our strength and do all that we can to help elect Barack Obama the next president of the United States, she said to cheering supporters. Today as I suspend my campaign, I congratulate him on the victory he has won, and the extraordinary race he has run. I endorse him and throw my full support behind him.

Obama later issued a statement saying he is thrilled and honored to have Clintons support.

But more than that, I honor her today for the valiant and historic campaign she has run, he said. She shattered barriers on behalf of my daughters and women everywhere, who now know that there are no limits to their dreams & Our party and our country are stronger because of the work she has done throughout her life, and Im a better candidate for having had the privilege of competing with her in this campaign.

No one knows better than Senator Clinton how desperately America and the American people need change, and I know she will continue to be in the forefront of that battle this fall and for years to come. 

Clinton was under pressure to send a strong signal to the 18 million voters who supported her in the marathon 50-state primary that its time to unite behind the presumptive nominee.

Obama secured the 2,118 delegates needed to clinch the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday after primaries in South Dakota and Montana. He planned to spend the weekend at home in Chicago.

Clinton on Tuesday gave little indication she was ready to bow out of the race. She congratulated Obama for running an extraordinary race but did not acknowledge at the time his delegate majority.

But on Saturday she paused to urge the audience to appreciate the historic nature of the race itself, which pitted the first serious female candidate for president against the most viable black candidate.

Together, Senator Obama and I achieved milestones, she said.

She said that even though her campaign was not successful, she paved the way for a woman to some day win the White House.

Though we werent able to shatter that highest, hardest glass ceiling, its got about 18 million cracks in it, she said. The path will be a little easier next time.

Clinton began the race as the undisputed front-runner in January 2007. But she saw her march to the nomination derailed a year later after being swamped by Obama in Iowas lead-off caucuses.

The last major candidate of the 2008 primary campaign to fall, Clinton persevered by staying defiant when her back was against the wall.

In the critical contests she had to win to stay in the race, she won. She had a strong showing in the March 4 primaries, and then pulled off a victory in Pennsylvania April 22. The victories were used to raise doubts about Obamas chances against presumptive GOP nominee John McCain, even as his delegate lead over Clinton stayed imposing.

Left on the table is whether Clinton will be considered as Obamas vice presidential pick.

The two had a face-to-face meeting Thursday evening at the Washington home of a Senate colleague, California Democrat Dianne Feinstein, where they discussed the campaign to come. They spoke alone for about an hour. Both were laughing when they finished.

Clinton was expected to campaign for Obama and to help with fundraising while seeking his assistance in retiring her $30 million campaign debt.

The New York senator has told colleagues she would be interested in joining Obama as his running mate.

Following the speech Saturday, she made her way through the crowd of supporters, shaking hands and signing autographs, telling one supporter, Dont worry, Ill be back.

Also unanswered is how passionately Clintons supporters will file in behind Obama. Clinton was met with ear-splitting cheers when he began her address, but the crowd response became progressively more tepid as she spoke about driving Obama to victory in November.

Polls show the general election race against presumptive GOP nominee John McCain is still tight. The latest national Gallup tracking poll shows Obama leading McCain by just 1 point.

Clinton spent much of Friday working on her concession speech with campaign manager Maggie Williams, media adviser Mandy Grunwald and strategist Mark Penn.

By suspending her campaign, Clinton would retain nominal control of her delegates and could continue to raise money to pay off campaign debts.

A party at her Washington home on Friday was intended as a way to thank and bid farewell to campaign staff.

YEEEHAW!  laugh

Hopefully this will be the beginning of the end of the Clinton dynasty.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Stick a fork in her....
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 10:07:26 AM »
Except in this case, with Obama, it's frying pan into fire.

He can destroy this country.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 10:34:23 AM »
Oh, he won't destroy the country - not in the sense of turning it into a hole like Venezuela.

He will however, turn it into just another European country, and then the curtain will go out over the world for the next few centuries.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 10:36:56 AM »
I guess she finally gave up on the Bobby Kennedy thing  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 10:38:52 AM »
Oh, he won't destroy the country - not in the sense of turning it into a hole like Venezuela.

He will however, turn it into just another European country, and then the curtain will go out over the world for the next few centuries.

I'm not so sure. It's a Dem congress. Some of them truly want to nationalize the oil industry. He'd sign it. He'd convince the sheep it meant dollar gas. The followers would cheer.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 10:47:10 AM »

There's still the LBJ option.... Wink
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 01:39:45 PM »
If Obama wins, he'll tuck her out of sight on the Supreme Court in half a heart beat.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 01:48:07 PM »
If Obama wins, he'll tuck her out of sight on the Supreme Court in half a heart beat.
I just threw up in my mouth a little, but I think he might do that and she'd take it.  It'd offer her a chance to legislate more than she could in the senate or in 1600 PA.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 02:25:11 PM »
But to clench the nomination, Obama still has to beat this man.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 03:31:40 AM »

He'll have a better chance than McCain has of beating Bob Barr or Wayne Allen Root.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 04:44:06 AM »
Good luck beating a man with an intelligence hotwire installed. 

Edited to add:  Also, Obama had better not use "The Chosen One" in his campaign.  It's already been trademarked by this likely Mercer VP selection.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 05:07:43 AM »
Hot!   laugh 

Obama isn't The Chosen One, though.  He's The One We Have Been Waiting For.  And you can be too!!   angel

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 06:31:17 AM »
I can't believe we are sitting around the campfire discussing how Obama might Obamanate America.  To really do that he'd have to breach the Constitution in major ways.  We are all just going to let that happen? 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 06:40:45 AM »
I can't believe we are sitting around the campfire discussing how Obama might Obamanate America.  To really do that he'd have to breach the Constitution in major ways.  We are all just going to let that happen?

We'll let a few bad things happen.  Which is to say our Congress will go along with a few of those nasty Obamanations.  But we'll reject a few others. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 07:33:02 AM »

You've let FDR, LBJ, and WJC happen. Why not BHO?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 07:47:05 AM »

There's still the LBJ option.... Wink

The LBJ option? Please explain.

You've let FDR, LBJ, and WJC happen. Why not BHO?
Very true. Sheep are easily led - especially sheep that are a product of our current government controlled education system. And for those that don't believe that our ed system is government controlled think about where the money for it comes from. Remember 55MPH speed limits. No national law just a threat from congress regarding highway funds. The ed system is in the same boat.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 08:47:04 AM »

Do you really want to hear about grassy knolls and the one bullet theory? undecided
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 10:26:02 AM »

Given the Constitutional freedoms we've surrendered under the current administration, he won't have a hard time of it.  Much is riding on McCain's VP choice.  If he chooses Bloomberg there is NO WAY I'll vote GOP this year.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 12:01:03 PM »

Given the Constitutional freedoms we've surrendered under the current administration for the past 150 years, he won't have a hard time of it.  Much is riding on McCain's VP choice.  If he chooses Bloomberg there is NO WAY I'll vote GOP this year.

No charge for the edit. 

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 01:36:32 PM »

Do you really want to hear about grassy knolls and the one bullet theory? undecided

No. Because the notion that a VP of the US would have the sitting President assasinated or even have the power and/or ability to do such a thing is asinine.  The whole idea can only be believable by paranoid conspiracy freaks who don't live in the same world as the rest of humanity.

Fight Me Online

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 01:50:32 PM »

No. Because the notion that a VP of the US would have the sitting President assasinated or even have the power and/or ability to do such a thing is asinine.  The whole idea can only be believable by paranoid conspiracy freaks who don't live in the same world as the rest of humanity.

I think he was joking.

Though of course LBJ benefitted massively.

Oh Jesus, how I hate Oswald in retrospective.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 06:39:34 PM »
He was joking.

Some here just don't have a sense of humor, it appears.

They'd not get the irony in the fact that I dump used rifle brass onto aforementioned Grassy Knoll each time I visit Dallas, either.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 07:39:59 PM »
Because the notion that a VP of the US would have the sitting President assasinated or even have the power and/or ability to do such a thing is asinine.  The whole idea can only be believable by paranoid conspiracy freaks who don't live in the same world as the rest of humanity.

I'm sorry, but why couldn't a VP have a President whacked?  Oswald did it.  Hinckley nearly did it.  What gives? 

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 12:55:26 AM »

Particularly those who believe in a "vast, right-wing conspiracy"......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI_SqqJIU14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfEghO6CCPY&feature=related

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 07:53:00 AM »
Because the notion that a VP of the US would have the sitting President assasinated or even have the power and/or ability to do such a thing is asinine.  The whole idea can only be believable by paranoid conspiracy freaks who don't live in the same world as the rest of humanity.

I'm sorry, but why couldn't a VP have a President whacked?  Oswald did it.  Hinckley nearly did it.  What gives? 
Oswald and Hinckley were individuals who can stay off the radar just by shutting the fork up.

How and who would a VP have whack a president? He certainly couldn't do it himself. Who's he gonna get to find the one whack job out there who'd be willing to try and off a president. Too many people involved, too much potential for shooting off of the mouth. Too many people watching.

Sorry but the notion that a VP could have his/her president bumped off (with out  getting caught) is just a ways out there.

Fight Me Online