Author Topic: What in the world is Charles Krauthammer smoking?  (Read 8589 times)

wacki

• friend
Re: What in the world is Charles Krauthammer smoking?
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 02:30:50 PM »
Krauthammer was simply saying that it's better to stimulate the pressures of peak oil on our own terms (when we still have the option of a release valve) then wait for when the crisis is out of our control.  New technology simply cannot be created overnight and needs time to develop.  That way there is less of a shock to the system.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 03:47:13 PM »
I'd say our sytem is pretty shocked already Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 04:29:35 PM »
Whatever Krauthammer said, throwing money into that bottomless pit referred to as "government" is definitely not the answer.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 07:00:21 PM »
It would be interesting to see how governments tried to fix that, if thats what the problem is.

I don't want government to fix it.  It's screwed up enough as it is.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 07:27:57 PM »
Well, in terms of toolshed, I meant more "escalade" and the like. Aerodynamics of a brick with wheels.

Typical SUV, flying piece of paper, paper smacks into front and sticks. My car, flying bit of paper, paper is sucked into slipstream, drifts over hood and windshield and roof without touching, dips down over line of trunk and goes behind. That HAS to have a significant effect on fuel economy in terms of driving through the air, not fighting it every step of the way.

Yep, I agree that paper is using much less fuel than the Escalade.

grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."