Author Topic: Our Collectivist Candidates[  (Read 4126 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Our Collectivist Candidates[
« on: June 10, 2008, 12:46:33 AM »
Our Collectivist Candidates
by David Boaz

This article appeared in The Wall Street Journal on May 28, 2008.
http://cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=9429

On Sunday Barack Obama urged graduates of Connecticut's Wesleyan University to devote themselves to "collective service." This is not an unusual theme for a commencement address. But it was interesting how long he went on discussing various kinds of nonprofit activism without ever mentioning the virtues of commerce or of individual achievement.

He also did not cite the military as an example of service to one's country. This is a surprising omission in a Memorial Day weekend speech to college-age students by a man seeking to be entrusted with the defense of the U.S.
Sen. Obama told the students that "our individual salvation depends on collective salvation." He disparaged students who want to "take your diploma, walk off this stage, and chase only after the big house and the nice suits and all the other things that our money culture says you should buy."

The people Mr. Obama is sneering at are the ones who built America  the traders and entrepreneurs and manufacturers who gave us railroads and airplanes, housing and appliances, steam engines, electricity, telephones, computers and Starbucks. Ignored here is the work most Americans do, the work that gives us food, clothing, shelter and increasing comfort. It's an attitude you would expect from a Democrat.
Or this year's Republican nominee. John McCain also denounces "self-indulgence" and insists that Americans serve "a national purpose that is greater than our individual interests." During a Republican debate at the Reagan Library on May 3, 2007, Sen. McCain derided Mitt Romney's leadership ability, saying, "I led . . . out of patriotism, not for profit." Challenged on his statement, Mr. McCain elaborated that Mr. Romney "managed companies, and he bought, and he sold, and sometimes people lost their jobs. That's the nature of that business." He could have been channeling Barack Obama.

"A greater cause," "community service"  to many of us, these gauzy phrases sound warm and comforting. But their purpose is to disparage and denigrate our own lives, to belittle our own pursuit of happiness. They're concepts better suited to a more collectivist country than to one founded in libertarian revolution  a revolution intended to defend our rights to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

One gets the sense that Mr. McCain would like to see us all in the armed forces. In a Washington Monthly essay published in October 2001, his vision of national service sounded militaristic. He wrote with enthusiasm for programs whose participants "not only wear uniforms and work in teams . . . but actually live together in barracks on former military bases, and are deployed to service projects far from their home base," and who would "gather together for daily calisthenics, often in highly public places such as in front of city hall."

Mr. Obama wouldn't send us into the military. All he wants is our souls. As his wife Michelle said at UCLA on February 3, two days before the California primary, "Barack Obama will require you to work. He is going to demand that you shed your cynicism. . . . That you push yourselves to be better. And that you engage. Barack will never allow you to go back to your lives as usual, uninvolved, uninformed."

There is a whiff of hypocrisy here. Mr. Obama, who made $4.2 million last year and lives in a $1.65 million house bought with the help of the indicted Tony Rezko  and whose "elegant suits" and "impeccable ties" made him one of Esquire's Best-Dressed Men in the World  disdains college students who might want to "chase after the big house and the nice suits." Mr. McCain, who with his wife earned more than $6 million last year and who owns at least seven homes, ridicules Mr. Romney for having built businesses.

But hypocrisy is not the biggest issue. The real issue is that Messrs. Obama and McCain are telling us Americans that our normal lives are not good enough, that pursuing our own happiness is "self-indulgence," that building a business is "chasing after our money culture," that working to provide a better life for our families is a "narrow concern."

They're wrong. Every human life counts. Your life counts. You have a right to live it as you choose, to follow your bliss. You have a right to seek satisfaction in accomplishment. And if you chase after the almighty dollar, you just might find that you are led, as if by an invisible hand, to do things that improve the lives of others.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Re: Our Collectivist Candidates[
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 02:40:18 AM »
Wonder if Obama will have us give up our names and just use numbers like the Chinese Communists? grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 02:45:46 AM »
I absolutely would not put it past him to try. angry
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 03:41:49 AM »
The real issue is that Messrs. Obama and McCain are telling us Americans that our normal lives are not good enough, that pursuing our own happiness is "self-indulgence," that building a business is "chasing after our money culture," that working to provide a better life for our families is a "narrow concern."

First they insult me, then they want my vote? That's mighty poor salesmanship, I'd say!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 03:48:33 AM »
So much for that spirit of inclusiveness...
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 04:39:36 AM »
How is "building a business" that produces a product and employs people self indulgence?  Where does he think jobs come from?  The magic job fairy?

Oh..  he wants to be like China and have state run industries?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 06:12:27 AM »
Not China.

Think Kenya.

There's that warm and fuzzy tribal togetherness there. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 06:12:54 AM »
The Republocrats out-do themselves every four years in nominating the worst imaginable candidates for president  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 10:15:11 AM »
I heard he also said he took his first job as a community organizer for $12,000 a year.  Only another pundit pointed out that the average starting job for college graduates that year was $14,000.  Not exactly a life of poverty as said above.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

nico

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 11:00:22 AM »
"take your diploma, walk off this stage, and chase only after the big house and the nice suits and all the other things that our money culture says you should buy."

What kind of suit was he wearing when he said this?
And what does his house look like?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 11:19:12 AM »
"take your diploma, walk off this stage, and chase only after the big house and the nice suits and all the other things that our money culture says you should buy."

He wears very nice suits, and his house is an extremely nice and large one gotten for him by the crooked Tony Resko.

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 03:16:58 PM »
the crooked convicted felon Tony Resko.

Fixed.

nico

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 03:19:49 PM »

He wears very nice suits, and his house is an extremely nice and large one gotten for him by the crooked Tony Resko.

haha, they were meant to be rhetorical, but point made Wink

I'd like to ask him, since he seems to imply that he's above the "money culture," what made him feel the need to buy such nice suits and such a nice house.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 04:14:41 PM »
How is "building a business" that produces a product and employs people self indulgence?  Where does he think jobs come from?  The magic job fairy?

Oh..  he wants to be like China and have state run industries?
That's what always chaps me.  I own a small business and employ 25 people.  We fall into the magical income level where we pay the absolute highest corporate income tax.  If we could get .gov of off our backs, we could employ 15 more people, perhaps more.  Why these people insist on taking my money and give it to people who I could actually employ borders on complete insanity.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 01:20:20 AM »
Why these people insist on taking my money and give it to people who I could actually employ borders on complete insanity.

I don't know that you would want to employ many of those people. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 04:38:38 AM »
Why these people insist on taking my money and give it to people who I could actually employ borders on complete insanity.

I don't know that you would want to employ many of those people. 
I hear you.  We weed through them pretty quick.  After two weeks, we know what we have.  Attitude is the primary thing we look for.  You'd be surprised how many are shocked for being terminated for missing a day on their first week of work... rolleyes   
We've had our best luck advertising at the local community college.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com