Author Topic: Obama's official position on 2A...Worse than we thought.  (Read 5056 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Obama's official position on 2A...Worse than we thought.
« on: June 11, 2008, 10:18:47 PM »
From the website.

PROTECTING GUN RIGHTS
Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters own and use guns each year. Millions more participate
in a variety of shooting sports such as sporting clays, skeet, target and trap shooting that may not necessarily
involve hunting. As a former constitutional law professor, Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment
creates an individual right, and he greatly respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will
protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns for the
purposes of hunting and target shooting.
He also believes that the right is subject to reasonable and
commonsense regulation.

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/additional/Obama_FactSheet_Western_Sportsmen.pdf

Also:

Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting Senator Obama about gun laws and the Second Amendment. We appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

As a former constitutional law professor, Senator Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he greatly respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns. He also believes that the right is subject to reasonable and commonsense public safety regulation.

We must work to ensure that guns do not fall into the hands of criminals or the mentally ill through an effective background check system. When law enforcement agencies operate in concert at the federal, state, and local levels, the chances of solving a crime increases. Since 2003, the Tiahrt Amendment has restricted the ability of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) to share gun trace information with members of state and local law enforcement. The ATF has a wide-ranging database of gun information, yet Washington has threatened police officers with time in prison for attempting to access it. As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama also favors commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldnt have them. He supports closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. He also supports making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets. We also have to strike a reasonable balance between public safety and Second Amendment rights.

Senator Obama will continue to work for common-sense laws, like closing the gun show loophole, and effective law enforcement. He will also speak out against the culture of violence that traps so many of our young people.

To learn more about Senator Obama's plans to support the rights and traditions of sportsmen, please click here:

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/a...n_Sportsmen.pdf

Thank you again for contacting us on this important issue.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

Join the Team: http://my.barackobama.com/acmybarackobama
Donate Once: http://my.barackobama.com/acdonate

---------------------------------------
Paid for by Obama for America

If McCain's people don't yell that far and wide from now till November, and have him hammer that in every debate, they're stupid.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Obama's official position on 2A...Worse than we thought.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 05:12:48 AM »
If McCain's people don't yell that far and wide from now till November, and have him hammer that in every debate, they're stupid.

Why would McCain object to Obama's doing his dirty work for him? Sorry, but they're flip sides of the same debased coin.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 05:26:47 AM »
And anyone is surprised, why?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 05:46:38 AM »
Wow, Liberal Chicago Democrat is anti-gun.......  rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 05:50:15 AM »
I just want to make sure people know how obvious the danger is, so they'll stop fantasizing about third-party candidates and just vote for the lesser of evils this time. Because Obama won't care what people think, and neither will the Dem congress. They'll just bring out a bill, he'll campaign for it in every speech, then sign it.

nico

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 05:53:42 AM »
As a former constitutional law professor, Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment
creates an individual right, and he greatly respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms.

As a former constitutional law professor, you'd think he'd realize that the Constitution doesn't create rights, it acknowledges those natural rights that the government cannot violate.  You'd also think he'd realize, based on their own writings, that the founders weren't talking about trap and skeet shooting or hunting.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 06:00:50 AM »
As a former constitutional law professor, Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment
creates an individual right, and he greatly respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms.

As a former constitutional law professor, you'd think he'd realize that the Constitution doesn't create rights, it acknowledges those natural rights that the government cannot violate.  You'd also think he'd realize, based on their own writings, that the founders weren't talking about trap and skeet shooting or hunting.

I think this should be the post of the day!

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 06:46:58 AM »
stop fantasizing about third-party candidates and just vote for the lesser of evils this time.

True, unless JM loses his marbles and selects Bloomburg as VP.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 07:27:10 AM »
Come on, guys, gangbanging IS a sportiing activity.  No problem.

Obama used to be a professor of con law.  Okay, but which constitution?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 10:08:23 AM »

I'm sure he knows all that; unfortunately for him, the Constitution isn't congruent with Marxism.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 11:30:59 AM »
the Constitution isn't congruent with Marxism.

Nor with the current administration, or the Congress for that matter.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 11:31:27 AM »

And that has what to do with what?

taurusowner

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 12:54:42 PM »

They're stupid for not spending most of the debate time talking about what only a fraction of a fraction of the country cares about?

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 04:14:26 PM »
As a former constitutional law professor, ...............

No wonder we're so screwed with professors like him teaching others.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 07:11:06 PM »
ConLaw classes do not cover the 2a.  At all.  It isn't mentioned.  It's in virtually no casebooks.

The only mention of guns in ConLaw was a commerce clause case on so-called Gun Free School Zones.

nico

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 07:15:13 PM »
ConLaw classes do not cover the 2a.  At all.  It isn't mentioned.  It's in virtually no casebooks.

The only mention of guns in ConLaw was a commerce clause case on so-called Gun Free School Zones.

undecided

No wonder we're so screwed with professors like him teaching others.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 12:38:21 AM »

What PAddy is trying to say that the Constitution won't stop them from destroying freedom.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 02:40:52 AM »

What PAddy is trying to say that the Constitution won't stop them from destroying freedom.

No, no, I think it was a non-sequitur Bush-bash.