Author Topic: Summer Lawn Care How To  (Read 1169 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Summer Lawn Care How To
« on: July 02, 2019, 09:57:28 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPCt-yCTvMA

I watched the link on the other thread about dogs and lawn sprinklers and this video came up next automatically.  How to Roll Up an Extension Cord! 

So do you do this the same way?  I am curious how many of you do it this way or some other way.

I sort of do it that way except I reverse my hand every other time I add a loop to the stack.  IMO, it makes it even less likely to tangle.  You can mostly just throw the bundle down and pull cord off it.  Pulling a loop through is something I hadn't done but I normally leave the cord attached to my blower. 

Any other or better How To videos you have come across? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Summer Lawn Care How To
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 10:30:32 PM »
I used to always do mine this way:

https://youtu.be/eTpbh2zJGhA

These days they usually end in a pile somewhere.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 10:35:43 PM »
The only one I ever mess with regularly is a 100 foot cord I used for my edger and blower.  Whatever is easy since it hangs separately with the blower.  I just don't want to struggle with it the next time I pull it out.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 10:43:57 PM »
Whatever is easy since it hangs separately with the blower.  I just don't want to struggle with it the next time I pull it out.

Thaaaaaaat's what she said.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 10:54:54 PM »
Betcha ole Johnny is single.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 11:35:35 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPCt-yCTvMA

If that's worth obsessing about and making a Youtube video, Johnny needs to get a life.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 03:02:42 AM »
A better way that doesn't fray the conductors in the cord nor put all the weight on one section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kda4DPAn3C4
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 05:30:58 AM »
I usually do it like #3 in the OP's video, except I give each loop a "negative" twist to keep it all straight.  I whip the loose long end around to cancel the twists I'm giving to the looped side.

When I lived in places where I  needed a 50 foot extension, I would use two 25 footers, each of which was easier to store and deploy than one 50 footer.  I never had a need for a 100 footer, but if I did, I'd probably just get two more 25s under the same reasoning and not worry about the slight additional I2R losses in the extra plugs.

Terry

« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 06:03:48 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 07:05:21 AM »
I roll mine up on a plastic cord reel.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 07:09:29 AM »
Earlier this year I got one of those auto-retracting extension cords reels and mounted it on my garage ceiling.  It has been fantastic.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 08:40:10 AM »
I followed the guy's link and got to the answer about wiring my  generator into my house for emergency purposes. I think the video took 20 minutes to describe what could have been clearly illustrated in under 2 minutes...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 08:40:23 AM »
Same here - it cost me under $10 at Home Depot and it winds up a 100 foot cord in less than 30 seconds while keeping it tangle-free.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 08:44:12 AM »
I do the crochet chain method- that way if it gets stolen, the thief will spend hours untangling it if they don't know how to unravel it.  :laugh:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 09:04:03 AM »
Roll it like a roadie!

I use the overhand/underhand method.  The cord still winds up in a big loop, but there are no tangles, knots, or kinks, and it unrolls quickly and easily.

Also, I use one of these for the cord I use most often.  The trick is to fold the cord in half before reeling in onto the reel. 

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-103-Storage-Wheel/dp/B000E8SWQM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1IDTUJOCBU1O0&keywords=extension+cord+reel&qid=1562158983&s=gateway&sprefix=extension+cord+re%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 09:05:53 AM »
I actually need to look at one of those reels for my most used long cord.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 09:09:16 AM »
I actually need to look at one of those reels for my most used long cord.

When you reel it on, do it while the cord is doubled over.  Fold the cord so that both ends are together, then hook the middle of the cord over the wheel and start reeling.  When it is time to use the cord, you'll have both ends ready to plug in and you'll only have to unwind half of the length you actually need.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2019, 10:30:58 AM »
Earlier this year I got one of those auto-retracting extension cords reels and mounted it on my garage ceiling.  It has been fantastic.

I have an auto-retractor electrical extension cord as well as air hose.  Absolutely love 'em.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2019, 10:56:36 AM »
I use a 5 gallon bucket. Drill a hole in the side at the bottom for the male end to pass through. With the cord extended stand over the bucket and feed the cord into the bucket.

When I need the cord plug in the male end grab the female end and start walking. No tangles. Feeds easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2019, 11:29:37 AM »
When you reel it on, do it while the cord is doubled over.  Fold the cord so that both ends are together, then hook the middle of the cord over the wheel and start reeling.  When it is time to use the cord, you'll have both ends ready to plug in and you'll only have to unwind half of the length you actually need.

Great tip - thanks!